Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Ah, the not replacing players myth has resurfaced.

Great isn't it? :lol: practically every player who we have sold under this regime gets replaced with usually someone of equal or better quality.

Might not happen straight away all the time but it happens, that is the least of my concerns with selling my players.

My concern is whether we can sell Cabaye and get someone half as good to replace him.

Guest neesy111

Here's an revolutionary idea, get a replacement for someone before we sell them perhaps?!?

Great isn't it? :lol: practically every player who we have sold under this regime gets replaced with usually someone of equal or better quality.

Might not happen straight away all the time but it happens, that is the least of my concerns with selling my players.

My concern is whether we can sell Cabaye and get someone half as good to replace him.

That isn't really replacing them then is it?

I don't think that anyone would suggest that we sell players and then just flat out don't buy anyone at all ever to fill the gaps - which will ultimately lead to us having 0 players on our books and certain liquidation - but we've never shown that we are willing to pay the price needed get exactly what we want when we need it.

EDIT: The Nees :thup:

I would hope we have a short list of players we could make a move for if any of ours leave. Cabaye isn't irreplaceable, it would just cost money to get equal or better quality in.

Guest neesy111

Here's an revolutionary idea, get a replacement for someone before we sell them perhaps?!?

Stop bankrupting the club you mad bastard :lol:

:okay:

they said they didn't translate it word for word but put their take on it, with one paragraph very easily interpreted one way knowing it's be copied into every media outlet ever regardless and now they get another story out of it where they can take the moral high ground.  :rolleyes:

Morally bankrupt is a bit OTT, just completely suckered into a 24 hour news cycle where you can't write one reasoned piece a week but a nonsence piece everytime any individual piece of news happens. Any rumour becomes a full story you can then get an opinion piece out of it...

What should really happen is when the season ends so should the football coverage except once a week a summary of who has actually moved where.

Cabaye is probably the most likely of our players to go imo, and I think we are unlikely to keep hold of everyone. Ashley will see making a big profit off one player and then reinforcing the squad a bit more to keep fans on side as a good model. I'd prefer if we are to be a buy cheap and try and live within our means by sales profits club, we'd line up reinforcements at least a season in advance, that way when a player goes a tested player comes right in.

Guest neesy111

Makes frugal sense to get the replacement in after the sale.

You don't want to be left with an unnecessary player if the sale of your player breaks down.

Plenty of clubs do it.

It's risky to buy before you sell as there's so many factors that could stop your player from moving. I can't see us doing that unless we need a player in that position anyway.

they said they didn't translate it word for word but put their take on it, with one paragraph very easily interpreted one way knowing it's be copied into every media outlet ever regardless and now they get another story out of it where they can take the moral high ground.  :rolleyes:

Morally bankrupt is a bit OTT, just completely suckered into a 24 hour news cycle where you can't write one reasoned piece a week but a nonsence piece everytime any individual piece of news happens. Any rumour becomes a full story you can then get an opinion piece out of it...

What should really happen is when the season ends so should the football coverage except once a week a summary of who has actually moved where.

Cabaye is probably the most likely of our players to go imo, and I think we are unlikely to keep hold of everyone. Ashley will see making a big profit off one player and then reinforcing the squad a bit more to keep fans on side as a good model. I'd prefer if we are to be a buy cheap and try and live within our means by sales profits club, we'd line up reinforcements at least a season in advance, that way when a player goes a tested player comes right in.

However it just shows how lazy the media are because they have just assumed that is a good translation of what was said and lifted the text directly from the Mag website.  I doubt whether any of the media outlets bothered to check that the translation was correct in the first place.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Demba Ba, Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands.

Replaced by?

Guest neesy111

Replaced by?

Exactly, we needed a striker even before Ba left, now we need 2 considering the mess that Shola was last season.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Replaced by?

Exactly, we needed a striker even before Ba left, now we need 2 considering the mess that Shola was last season.

I'd have Shola as 3rd or 4th choice striker but to have him as number two - in a 'roster' of two - is criminal and it represents criminal underinvestment. As soon as he comes on it's an excuse to lump it.

There's benefits to our transfer policy but there's obvious drawbacks that need to be ironed out. It's a squad game but as a club - under Ashley or the Shepherd we've seldom had a any squad depth.

A lot of people think we should be ''grateful'' to Ashley and I think that's a very silly view to hold. He's no ''Geordie Ambramovich'' like Sir John sold him to us. We had a good january because we had to not because we're ''ambitious''.

Guest neesy111

Replaced by?

I'd have Shola as 3rd or 4th choice striker but to have him as number two - in a 'roster' of two - is criminal and it represents criminal underinvestment. As soon as he comes on it's an excuse to lump it.

There's benefits to our transfer policy but there's obvious drawbacks that need to be ironed out. It's a squad game but as a club - under Ashley or the Shepherd we've seldom had a any squad depth.

A lot of people think we should be ''grateful'' to Ashley and I think that's a very silly view to hold. He's no ''Geordie Ambramovich'' like Sir John sold him to us. We had a good january because we had to not because we're ''ambitious''.

:thup:

I still feel there is massive flaws to a transfer policy, mainly to that there is no balance to the squad.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Replaced by?

Cisse and Gouffran.

So Gouffran is Ba's replacement? He's not fit to lace his boots man & clearly wasn't brought in to play centre forward - because looking at him he's not good enough. Though he can grow - obviously - but he's 27 and isn't going to suddenly be a wordlie.

Cisse we Carroll's replacement - a year late - or you could say we've got Demba on a free to replace him.

If we'd invested correctly and replaced properly we wouldn't still be relying on Shola or playing Cisse to death.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Replaced by?

:thup:

I still feel there is massive flaws to a transfer policy, mainly to that there is no balance to the squad.

Yeah - again we've got a good first 11 but not great but our problem was last year we didn't see that first 11 - it was a surrogate team pretty much all season and with a lack of a proper footballing system we were easily found out. Pass it about it and if we get no joy get Shola on and lump it.

Last season we had lack of firepower for long spells and lack of capable defensive cover and we all know what that equals.

Replaced by?

Really? Where?

Guest Haris Vuckic

Replaced by?

Really? Where?

Santoon for a start. :)

In addition have a blast and twitter and see how many people are convinced we were destined to be Portsmouth MKII.