Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Mike Ashley and his cronies, including his mouthpiece Alan Pardew, has taken NUFC and beaten it down until we're a big club no more. We act and talk like we can't compete with the likes of Wigan and Stoke. The scary thing is, some fans are starting to accept it too.

Would people prefer Pardew to say he's not for sale and 100% wont be leaving only for Ashley to sell him anyway?

I would prefer Pardew to have more integrity regarding the club - and his role at the club - in general, but that's not really the point. The point is, the whole club is resigned to losing him when I don't think we necessarily should be.

Edit:

Would people prefer Pardew to say he's not for sale and 100% wont be leaving only for Ashley to sell him anyway?

I'd simply prefer him to not talk as though we're of standing equivalent to Wigan Athletic. Even if the owner believes we are.

And that. Exactly.

That being said, Cabaye might just feel his time is up on Tyneside anyway. And I think it's great that he hasn't sat and sulked - but looked more motivated than ever. It seems to be an increasingly rare thing these days. I just think the fact that he wants to leave is symptomatic of the fact the string-pullers at the club have next to no ambition.

This - Cabaye will be 28 next birthday and wants some medals to show for his time in England and who can blame him for that ? Under KK and SBR we had a reasonable chance of being in the frame for that, but we are not likely to be these days. He has been an asset to the club and we will make money on him. We WILL miss him though because he is the best all round midfielder we have and it is unlikely we will sign a replacement of similar quality.

This is the reality of NUFC so get used to it unless someone with massive money to invest takes over.

Tbf he should never have come here if he wanted to compete for trophies. All he had to do was look how long it is since we last won one.

Fairly positive he didn't come here to be a career newcastle player

I think part of our bargaining is "come to us showcase your ability in the Premier League" we offer them to chance to get a big club move, we get the chance of a profit.

Pardew knows Ashley will cash in he also knows Cabaye wants away for Champions League football, what else can he say.

He could try saying nothing.

:lol:

'Are you worried about a January bid for Cabaye Alan?'....... Alan? .............  Alan, the Cabaye bid, you worried? Alllllan!?'

Pardew knows Ashley will cash in he also knows Cabaye wants away for Champions League football, what else can he say.

He could try saying nothing.

'Are you worried about a January bid for Cabaye Alan?'....... Alan? .............  Alan, the Cabaye bid, you worried? Alllllan!?'

Aye the press would love that, make up their own reasons for the non response.. "Cabaye To PSG, Pardew Shocked Into Silence"

Its a lose lose situation

Tbf he should never have come here if he wanted to compete for trophies. All he had to do was look how long it is since we last won one.

You can say that about many star players we have had over the years....we signed Terry Mac from Bury in 1972 for 25,000 and he was a hit from day 1...was sold to Liverpool in late 74.

Supermac joined us from Luton in 1971 for a record 180,000, gave us 5 years and then realized he would have to move to have a chance of success. The difference is that with Macdonald & McDermott, we had won a trophy only a few years previously and when the likes of Shearer joined, it looked as if we were on the verge of great things.

Cabaye would look at the stadium & our crowds and compare it to Lille and think we were a good show-room opportunity...which is all we are now.

Remember when we were a big club?

f***ing sigh.

That's the top and bottom of it like.

There's no intention to fend off other clubs from buying our players & every intention to encourage them.

Am I missing something here. In the last two transfer windows, we've done exactly that, despite or captain and Cabaye both trying to force our hands.

And surely, after we came 5th it'd be a nonsense to say we didn't get offers for some of our players that would have given us a substantial return. Does that tally with a club that has 'every intention' to encourage player sales?

I'd be staggered if Cabaye lasts another year at the club, but that will be down to the players desires more than our own. If that were the case I'd be pisses if we didn't try and drum up some competition for his signature.

There's no intention to fend off other clubs from buying our players & every intention to encourage them.

This bears very little relation to reality TBH. We haven't sold many players at all, and SD news is just a vehicle to get SD mentioned online.

Obviously a massive bid would get us to sell, but that's the case almost everywhere.

The gloom army constantly bang on about us selling our best players, encouraging clubs to bid for them etc etc and then it becomes accepted as fact by some. Isn't the reality somewhat different ?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, we've sold two players who were amongst our "best" in the last few years. Demba Ba who we could do nowt about and Andy Carroll in what was, with hindsight, the best piece of business we've ever done.

How does that compare with other top flight clubs ? Do we stand out as some sort of "selling club" ?

If anything we're less of a selling club than we've ever been. Of course players will move on - it's part and parcel of football - but over the last few years our transfer policy has been largely effective and positive. We're probably in the best shape we've been in for ten years or so and that's without being a benevolent pension fund for superstar has-beens.

I don't mind Ashley from a selling point of view. I'm comfortable with the fact if a player under contract does want to leave, Ashley will make sure the buying club pay top dollar to take them. It’s a bit pathetic the SD website bashing links out everywhere but I don’t think that it’s literally a case of Ashley offering our players to other clubs. Other clubs will know each of our players has a price, but they are expensive and no surprise to see our top stars rarely sold and not sold in bulk like a lot suggest every window.

If sold, it's what Ashley then does with the money to reinvest i have the problem with, there's always some excuse to why it's not reinvested in the side there and then.

+ Enrique,

You could add Barton and Nolan to that.

Aye you're probably right. Though in fairness it appeared that we fought hard to keep Enrique and the other two (although I didn't agree) were probably deemed surplus to requirements and not worth making further investment in.

Ba deliberately used us as a stepping stone, and likely would have not signed at all without the release clause. Enrique was coming to the end of his contract and thought we weren't good enough for him at the time (he was probably right). Barton and Nolan weren't that good.

Guest Roger Kint

+ Enrique,

Aye you're probably right. Though in fairness it appeared that we fought hard to keep Enrique and the other two (although I didn't agree) were probably deemed surplus to requirements and not worth making further investment in.

Didnt we give Barton a free? Pretty shit selling club attitude that :lol:

+ Enrique,

Didnt we give Barton a free? Pretty shit selling club attitude that :lol:

I'd imagine the freeing up of his salary was the upside for them on that one, not to mention ridding themselves of a loose cannon they seemed increasingly incapable of dealing with  :)

+ Enrique,

Didnt we give Barton a free? Pretty s*** selling club attitude that :lol:

He was effectively slagging off his bosses via twitter and was pretty much sacked. As much as fans detest Ashley, you don't want players coming out whilst playing for the club telling us what a cunt he is, we already know it so they may as well just shut up and carry on playing football which they are paid to do.

Hazard's still all potential and not really seen him dominate games just score really good goals now and then. Cabaye has been inconsistent at times too mind but on form I think he's better (atm) but at different things.

May get jumped on for this. Harzard certainly may be great but I don't think he's there yet actually.