Twitter nonsense

Thespence

Why is it always said "for players and wages" surely we arent paying the whole lot upfront ?

With AC, Sol Campbell, Nolan etc all leaving doesnt that then free up the money for salaries for the players we are bringing in?

This never seems to get mentioned, am i missing something or is the net result of our spending so far next to nothing.

It does get mentioned. Theyre obviously taking into account the money for the full length of the contracts for some reason, which given that theyre signing near everyone on 5 years is much more to put aside than the cost & length of the ones that have gone. For some reason our gate receipts/tv money etc over the next 5 years isnt being taken into account as covering the new players wages. The only decent reason for that would be if theyre barely covering our current running costs as it is. I dont know if that is true.

But surely we would have been still paying Nolan/AC or their replacements wages in 5 years time, its just different personel.

Its still costing the same in the long run, except maybe a small variation in wages, so i cant see how the people we have signed thus far have cost us anything we wouldnt have been already laying out. Will we actually spend any of the money we received for AC on additional players?

They wouldnt factor in the wages past the length of the contract though. If they came to extend the contract, im guessing theyd probably then at that point figure in that extra expense over the next few years & use that as a reason not to spend in other places.

We're supposed to have been running at a loss havent we.

47m was wages, but our overall expenses in 2010 was 74m. Compared to our turnover of 52m.

Take into account that figure for extra tv money this year & then whatever the fee's were for Ben Arfa/Tiote etc and we'd probably be quite close to breaking even this year.

Then you have 35m from the Carroll sale, which theyre now using to fully cover signings/wages in advance so that our future expenses wont outweigh the turnover if that stays the same. Right?

Our overall loss after player trading on the last figures was £17m. I'm by no means an expert on the finances but considering it was widely reported that we received £30m up front for Carroll, without some serious spending in the rest of the transfer window and/or January I'm not sure how we will fail to post a significant profit next time around. Unless someone can explain how the wage bill has increased massively since the last set of figures.

Guest Recoba

If the club is being ridiculous about the Carroll money they could claim to have spent almost the lot according to this guesstimate.

Carroll Fee 35,000,000

Carroll Contract 6,552,000

Tiote Contract -16,900,000

Cabaye Fee -4,800,000

Cabaye Contract -13,000,000

Nolan Fee 4,000,000

Nolan Contract 4,368,000

Ba Agent fee -2,000,000

Ba Contract -5,460,000

Marveaux Contract -13,000,000

But what we actually spend in 11/12;

Carroll Fee 35,000,000

Carroll Contract 1,456,000

Tiote Contract -2,600,000

Cabaye Fee -4,800,000

Cabaye Contract -2,600,000

Nolan Fee 4,000,000

Nolan Contract 2,184,000

Ba Agent fee -2,000,000

Ba Contract -1,820,000

Marveaux Contract -2,600,000

I mean it's not like we pay our players contracts up front!  Should easily be £25 million to spend on transfer fees AND wages for the coming season.  That means 2 x £10 million players on £50K per week.  Not saying we have to spend this amount but it should be available for say . . Zog and a decent striker.

Every club works on the same principal of

Gate Receipt = Payment of player wages/staff/maintenance etc

Transfer fees received = transfer Botty to spend

Always has been since the beginning of time!! Why anyone is bothering to look into what the 35M equates to is beyond me. The simple answer in layman terms is: "We've been hoodwinked"

I'll preface this by saying I'm not defending Mike and Co., but just because that's how clubs have been run doesn't mean it's the right way. If football clubs were actual businesses the vast majority of them would have gone under years ago.

I can understand including the wages for the coming season, but beyond that does seem very extreme to me.

For a club to be run efficiently it should have a wages to gate receipt  ratio of around 50%. I take my hat off to the fat man for implementing this business caveat!

But as far as transfers are concerned he should at least spend 15-20M of the Carrol money, don't mind him taking the rest, but that's how it should be FFS!!!!

Guest Recoba

I'll preface this by saying I'm not defending Mike and Co., but just because that's how clubs have been run doesn't mean it's the right way. If football clubs were actual businesses the vast majority of them would have gone under years ago.

I can understand including the wages for the coming season, but beyond that does seem very extreme to me.

I agree.  Including the current season we can easily afford a couple of quality players before any further outgoings.

And that's forgetting Campbell is off the wage bill, Sky money, gate receipts etc.

Whatever you say, we don't know the exact numbers behind anything. Secondly, we also know Ashley and Llambas can't be trusted.

3. We do not own the club, guess who does? .. and then look back,and ask yourself: has complaining about it helped?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Our bezza Colin tweeting

Might start deleting posts that contain this. Getting beyond a joke.

You know it makes sense.

1. Our bezza Colin tweeing about Defoe.

2. As things stand I wouldn't mind him.

See, this I don't understand.

1. you know it's clearly bollocks because it's from a proven bullshitter know nowt, yet 2. you start to consider the signing.

I know this is the thread for bullshit but giving this cunt attention still annoys me. Someone said the other day he has 4,000 followers?

FUCK MY LIFE.

It did appear that we were prepared to spend big money on Gervinho and Gameiro. Unfortuanately, the more expensive players are likely to be chased by clubs in the Champions or Europa Leagues, and it then becomes difficult to compete.

We could of course do an Owen and make ridiculous bids and offer silly wages in order to overcome the player's reluctance to join. We could also pay the same kind of fees for players who aren't worth it, just for the sake of spending the money. Neither sound sensible to me.

We're competing with clubs in the top half of the table but outside the European places, like Liverpool and Everton. On that basis, we've done pretty well.

If we only sign another striker, we'll still end up with a signficantly stronger squad, especially taking into account the return of Ben Arfa and Gosling.

Mark Douglas says Chelsea want £20m for Sturridge.

Don't think they'll get that. Those clubs who're able to pay that amount of cash need a striker that's capable of scoring enough goals to take them to CL or Europe asap, and Sturridge is not that kind of player, yet. But I think he will be.

My mate who works for someone who knows someone close to mike ashleys

Doctor seems to think Defo will sign tomorrow.

Now I know for a fact this lad doesn't talk shit.

If he does not sign by lunch time tomorrow you can drink a pint of my piss.