Paul Scholes retires

Taylor Swift

After the goal against Fulham at the start of the season, Sky wanked themselves silly over Scholes and started eulogising about what a player he's been. Didn't get this credit in his prime, but now when he's having less of an impact for Man Utd, he is.

I think it was pretty obvious it was going to be his last season, so they were going to attempt the same thing they'd done for Giggs.

Yep. It's the smugness of the praise they're delivering - as though we didn't know Scholes has been a brilliant player. "Look! He can pass and shoot at 35! OMG!"

The funny thing is, I was sat with mates going 'what's all this bullshit about Scholes? They're going to be on the pitch rimming him soon at this rate. He's good but fucking hell.'. Then instantly he scores that goal and I get the most smug 'that's why!' from my mates.

Guest Howaythetoon

No way Scholes was better than Xavi is like

Could do everything Xavi can do but Scholes had goals in him too. For me he was a better player than Xavi.

No way Scholes was better than Xavi is like

Could do everything Xavi can do but Scholes had goals in him too. For me he was a better player than Xavi.

In their primes they were totally different players, as Scholes played far more advanced than Xavi did, and was the better finisher. Yet, when he dropped deeper, he couldn't control games in the way Xavi can.

Guest Howaythetoon

With respect, HTT, you've not seen enough of Xavi if that's the rubbish you're coming out with.

I've seen enough. Scholes for me was a better all-rounder.

In the last 5 years Xavi has came into his own as the best central midfielder I've ever seen.

3 Champions Leagues, 4 league titles, European Championships and the World Cup.  And he hasn't just won them, he's been the heartbeat of those teams.

Guest firetotheworks

It always has to become a competition, but Xavi would comfortably be my choice.

• 1 month later...