Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

George Caulkin

@CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

#NUFC agree Ba personal terms but deal stalls over agents fees, says Times man in London.

If true, i dont understand why the clubs have to pay the agent fees.  Its the players who use them, surely they should pay the agent!

FIFA Sepp Blatter has got to get on top of this.

Yeah right.

Agent: Ok...settled my client will sign for you and in doing so I want 1m in return.

Ashley: Fack off.

End of meeting.

Wait two weeks.

Agent: Ok, I will take 0.5m.

Ashley: Fack Off.

End of Meeting.

Agent: Hello Mr Quinn, my client will sign for you but I want 1m.

Quinn: Drunken murmering. Of course.  Hic. 

Totally, this is one area where football could learn something from normal business. Don't give vast sums of money to people who don't do anything.

In every walk of life, if you hire someone you pay them, you cant reverse the charges back to your future employer!  :lol:

How the fuck does the EU allow this to happen.  :undecided:

Totally, this is one area where football could learn something from normal business. Don't give vast sums of money to people who don't do anything.

Yup. Rather re-structure deals whereby the club's scouts are paid a handsome reward if they unearth a gem, as well as the agent of said gem. Not sure if this would lead to legal wrangles, but if you set up watertight contracts, it shouldn't be a problem. In the case of Ba, we didn't really need a scout or an agent to have an interest in signing him, and therefore shouldn't pay over the odds.

Basically, if the agent represents the player he should be paid by the player only. I would make it illegal for a club to pay any money to agents that represent players.

The problem is that agents are acting as pseudo-scouts and 'helping' clubs find players as well... so they can somehow justify charging the clubs a fee.

Anyway, off topic there, Ba would be a decent signing if his knee hasn't totally gone.

Not too concerned, agents are scum but sure this will get sorted soon enough.

depends if another team offers him the same/better terms and offers to pay the agent fees?

Fair point.  But Ba might be keen on joining, then that might force the agent to lower his demands.  I hope we sign him, although I've read that it's subject to a medical, was under the impression he couldn't pass a medical at West Ham or Stoke?

Not too concerned, agents are scum but sure this will get sorted soon enough.

depends if another team offers him the same/better terms and offers to pay the agent fees?

Fair point.  But Ba might be keen on joining, then that might force the agent to lower his demands.  I hope we sign him, although I've read that it's subject to a medical, was under the impression he couldn't pass a medical at West Ham or Stoke?

The sky sports article saying he's agreed terms with us and everton.

Graeme Bailey -

Demba Ba situation will be resolved in next 48 hours, terms agreed with both #nufc & #efc but looks set for Toon, but they want it done ASAP

sounds like hard bargaining from our lot, hope it works. reading between the lines, looks like he prefers us but we're playing hard ball over the agents fees and they've set up everton as an alternative to try and make us pay up. not sure it'll work though as i get the feeling ashley wants us to have a reputation for not bowing to things like agents fees.

Graeme Bailey -

Demba Ba situation will be resolved in next 48 hours, terms agreed with both #nufc & #efc but looks set for Toon, but they want it done ASAP

sounds like hard bargaining from our lot, hope it works. reading between the lines, looks like he prefers us but we're playing hard ball over the agents fees and they've set up everton as an alternative to try and make us pay up. not sure it'll work though as i get the feeling ashley wants us to have a reputation for not bowing to things like agents fees.

Probably one of the few situations where Ashley holds the moral highground.