Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

The point is that with the arrival of Cisse Ba no longer has his old position, he has become more of a Rooney-esque hold up player.

In that role Im not as big a fan of him. That being said, should Cisse become injured Ba will be a perfect backup - I just dont see the two of them complimenting eachother that well while on the pitch. Rather see Marveaux and Ben Arfa out wide tbh...

As talented as Marveaux is we can't count on him at the moment due to his injury problems. Ba had a handful of poor games but generally played well out wide and was very unlucky in front of goal a number of times.

Agree with that, the problem though seems to be that Ba doesn't want to play out wide, Pardew has pretty much said as much. That's a concern for me like.

Last night Ba played almost in the hole at times, wonder if that's the plan?

Cabaye    Tiote

Ben Arfa.        Ba.          Marveaux

Cisse

With Jonas able to play out left or in CM.

Looks so like the way City line up, not just in system but personnel too. 2 wide players that come inside, strikers that take turns in dropping deep, fullbacks provide the width etc etc.

We could actually use 4-4-2 and keep possession well just because of the personnel in the team in this scenario, although we would rely on keeping Marveaux fit which is unlikely.

Guest Spiria

I still think Pards sees Jonas as a starter (I agree). Marveaux will likely have to bide his time before he starts in the legue.

I think it's more likely Marv will be fighting with Ben Arfa for a start rather than Jonas, still not convinced Pardew has fully committed with Ben Arfa yet. Can see him replaced most games and missing a fair few as well.

I think that too. Jonas will be a starter and Marveaux and Ben Arfa will fight for the other spot.

Guest Archie

I still think Pards sees Jonas as a starter (I agree). Marveaux will likely have to bide his time before he starts in the legue.

I think it's more likely Marv will be fighting with Ben Arfa for a start rather than Jonas, still not convinced Pardew has fully committed with Ben Arfa yet. Can see him replaced most games and missing a fair few as well.

I dont think Ben arfa will ever be benched again. Pardew probably realises now what he has to offer. In terms of going forward as a team a better fullback behind Jonas diminishing the need for graft and someone more dangerous offensively is the way to go imo.

More often than not the best you get out of Jonas is a freekick, which is not bad I guess but ever since ben arfa has arrived you do wonder what you miss out on when you see him on the other flank.

Jonas on the wing :anguish:

I think that too. Jonas will be a starter and Marveaux and Ben Arfa will fight for the other spot.

Should depend on opposition IMO.

Home games against the weaker sides there's no good reason to start Jonas, Marveaux looks like he'd give you a lot more in the final third. Tougher fixtures you start Jonas though.

Ben Arfa should always be one of the first names on the team sheet, regardless of opposition.

Guest Spiria

Should depend on opposition IMO.

Home games against the weaker sides there's no good reason to start Jonas, Marveaux looks like he'd give you a lot more in the final third. Tougher fixtures you start Jonas though.

Ben Arfa should always be one of the first names on the team sheet, regardless of opposition.

The three players have different profil : Jonas and Marveaux are more milfielder where Ben Arfa is more a forward.

3 at the back? This is not 1995.

:lol:

Many City played it vs Gooners in their friendly in China but they have Kompany

:D

Against Monaco we basically did it, too. Jonas wasn't really playing left back the whole 90 mins.

I can't believe anyone doubts for a moment that Jonas will be in the starting eleven. As importanty as cheick colo and cabaye for me...

Fits in any system and gives 100% as well as a decent outlet and hold up if needed. Shame on you all!!

Guest Archie

But is he enough of a threat going forwards to occupy a wing in every game?

Will get us quite a few freekicks mind..

I can't believe anyone doubts for a moment that Jonas will be in the starting eleven. As importanty as cheick colo and cabaye for me...

Fits in any system and gives 100% as well as a decent outlet and hold up if needed. Shame on you all!!

:thup:

:lol:

Deb:

http://www.mania.com/content_pics/000005/94/54/59f1fe7f8e78a150_large.jpg

Doug:

http://streetsignsto.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/tumblr_kymykliz9p1qanok5.jpg

Sant:

http://www.iamstaggered.com/usa/files/2011/11/Santa-Claus-wedding1.jpg

Guest Archie

Is that still enough though.

Good enough for a team aiming for 9-10th. Team aiming for 4-6th?

Is that still enough though.

Good enough for a team aiming for 9-10th. Team aiming for 4-6th?

Pretty sure he played nearly every game last season and we finished 5th.

Yes, Marveux has looked OK in preseason but he is still more or less unproven in the PL and there is no certainty he'll be available for most games given his injury record.