Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

I can't believe anyone doubts for a moment that Jonas will be in the starting eleven. As importanty as cheick colo and cabaye for me...

Fits in any system and gives 100% as well as a decent outlet and hold up if needed. Shame on you all!!

:thup:

Is that still enough though.

Good enough for a team aiming for 9-10th. Team aiming for 4-6th?

A lot of successful teams have had a Jonas type player in there.

Guest Archie

I can't believe anyone doubts for a moment that Jonas will be in the starting eleven. As importanty as cheick colo and cabaye for me...

Fits in any system and gives 100% as well as a decent outlet and hold up if needed. Shame on you all!!

Pretty sure he played nearly every game last season and we finished 5th.

So did Danny Simpson, that must make him a top5 player as well

edit: just to add, I value Jonas contributions I really do. But looking for  his offensive contributions (not resulting in a freekick) is a bit like trying to pick out the steak in a Tesco's value pie.

Jonas is much more than hard work as it stands right now whether it's 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 he is a starter, can Marveaux bench him? i believe so but he wont be walking into the team he will have to put in consistent performances and stay fit over time.

In any case i think Jonas and Marveaux will be rotated depending on the opposition if Marveaux can stay fit and they both offer us so much.

Pretty sure he played nearly every game last season and we finished 5th.

So did Danny Simpson, that must make him a top5 player as well

Correct.

On a side not wouldn't be surprised if Jonas also covered CM more this season, doesn't that new French lad play wide?

Guest Spiria

Jonas is much more than hard work as it stands right now whether it's 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 he is a starter, can Marveaux bench him? i believe so but he wont be walking into the team he will have to put in consistent performances and stay fit over time.

In any case i think Jonas and Marveaux will be rotated depending on the opposition if Marveaux can stay fit and they both offer us so much.

Jonas, Marveaux and Ben Arfa also will rotate. And Jonas is, I think, the one who will start the most games.

Jonas is a valuable member of the squad who'll play a lot of football this year, but he shouldn't be an automatic starter the way the likes of Colo and Cabaye are IMO.

Yeah he always works his socks off and is a great outlet when we're under pressure, but the sad fact is that he offers almost no end product whatsoever. In games where we're controlling possession and pinning teams back he offers very little, and I think from what we've seen of Marveaux in preseason there's potentially a better option there in certain games.

To start the season of course we'll see Jonas get the nod to start, and rightfully so. Could see us using Marveaux as an impact sub in the last half hour or so if we're chasing games, and if he makes enough of his chances then he could see some starts.

If he doesn't get injured again, of course. :lol:

Jonas is a valuable member of the squad who'll play a lot of football this year, but he shouldn't be an automatic starter the way the likes of Colo and Cabaye are IMO.

Yeah he always works his socks off and is a great outlet when we're under pressure, but the sad fact is that he offers almost no end product whatsoever. In games where we're controlling possession and pinning teams back he offers very little, and I think from what we've seen of Marveaux in preseason there's potentially a better option there in certain games.

To start the season of course we'll see Jonas get the nod to start, and rightfully so. Could see us using Marveaux as an impact sub in the last half hour or so if we're chasing games, and if he makes enough of his chances then he could see some starts.

If he doesn't get injured again, of course. :lol:

I think if we are under the cosh or 1-0 up with 20 mins to go Jonas is a MUST to have on the pitch, he is a great option for an out ball, wins shed loads of freekicks, no better player in the league at relieving pressure.

Guest Archie

Yep, the other side of the coin is that he doesnt apply much pressure though.  Add to that a Cabaye sitting deep and Tiote as a DM and you can understand why we are being overrun in midfield.

With our current team we are/should be the ones pressuring in 80% of the premier league games. 

Yep, the other side of the coin is that he doesnt apply much pressure though.  Add to that a Cabaye sitting deep and Tiote as a DM and you can understand why we are being overrun in midfield.

With our current team we are/should be the ones pressuring in 80% of the premier league games. 

It's a big part of the reason we struggle to link midfield to attack in a 4-4-2.

Cabaye plays a little too deep and Jonas doesn't really offer much offensively, so often it ends in a hopeful ball towards one of the strikers.

It's a big part of the reason we struggle to link midfield to attack in a 4-4-2.

Cabaye plays a little too deep and Jonas doesn't really offer much offensively, so often it ends in a hopeful ball towards one of the strikers.

There's that and we had Williamson and Simpson at the back.

Having a RB who is comfortable going forward and a CB alongside Colo who doesnt treat the ball like a grenade would only help matters as well having wingers who have good understanding about when to go inside and help link play and when to stay out wide to stretch the play.

4-3-3 is still the best for me, but 4-4-2 can work in a possession sense with the right tactics and personnel.

Guest Archie

You can have two midfielders sitting deep or not advancing enough if you have to offensive wingers you can spray passes to - Man united being the prime example of this.

What you cannot have is two CMs sitting deep combined with two wingers who are supposed to protect the fullbacks in addition to being limited offensively. Thats when it becomes hoof because there is noone to pass to ( save for sideways).

So if we do use Jonas, Cabaye needs to be further up for link up, but neither of them have the pace to coast past players and Jonas has no end product to speak of.

I think Jonas is a great asset to have if we are up 1-0 or 2-0 vs top teams because he breaks up play and provides freekicks, but he is not the perfect fit when we are chasing a lead or looking to score goals...

Guest Archie

There's that and we had Williamson and Simpson at the back.

Having a RB who is comfortable going forward and a CB alongside Colo who doesnt treat the ball like a grenade would only help matters as well having wingers who have good understanding about when to go inside and help link play and when to stay out wide to stretch the play.

4-3-3 is still the best for me, but 4-4-2 can work in a possession sense with the right tactics and personnel.

Grenadeball with Simpson and Williamson is one problem but I cant fathom why they cant just give it to cabaye or Colo and drive it forwards on the ground.

A far bigger problem for me is being overrun in midfield by journeymen opponents  who should have no business bossing our midfield 4.

My personal theory is that this happends because of zero threat on the flanks causing the opponent to (rightfully) apply pressure in the middle of the pitch.

both wings being defensively minded invites pressure, and when its no wing threat to speak of they dont have to hold anyone back either.

You deploy hatem ben arfa up there and they instantly need to stay back with at least two defenders  ( One defender vs ben arfa  :yao:  )

Demba Ba's Newcastle United silverware mission

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleJul 30 201

DEMBA BA has played down the significance of Newcastle United winning the Trofeu Internacional de Futebol do Guadiana in Portugal – but indicated he is still focused on the challenge ahead by expressing his wish to win something “for real” in a black-and-white shirt.

Today is the eve of the expiry of Ba’s £7m release clause.

Although many fans will not take anything for granted until the threat of a cut-price exit is over, the striker was again just getting on with business on Saturday night.

He netted at the second attempt against Braga after seeing his initial shot from the penalty spot beaten away before winning the free-kick which Ryan Taylor whipped home. Tomorrow will be the last day any suitors can activate the clause which will land his representatives £3.5m – and leave United with the other half of the fee.

Having opened talks with Newcastle about a new deal earlier this month, and having been assured he will mainly play alongside Papiss Cisse in the centre of United’s attack, Ba seems much happier.

The striker has rubbished talk of all of the clubs he has been linked with so far – but some fans have not been fully convinced by his words about him staying on.

Of course, even when the threat of a release clause disappears, Ba can still submit a transfer request and quit before the regular transfer window shuts in a month’s time.

However, after helping United land a pre-season trophy in the Algarve, he was prepared to dream about winning one of the major cups on offer to the Magpies next season.

Ba told the Chronicle: “Winning the trophy is nothing really, they are just games.

“We just need to keep that going. Hopefully we can do that for real at the end of the season.”

Ba netted 16 goals for the Magpies last season after emerging in predatory fashion after Ramadan.

Now observing Ramadan, Ba is United’s top scorer in pre-season with two.

His goal against Monaco two weeks ago was his first since February when he netted against Aston Villa in the 2-1 win.

United playmaker Hatem Ben Arfa will have his fitness assessed on Wednesday after failing to appear on the club’s tour of Portugal.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/07/30/demba-ba-s-newcastle-united-silverware-mission-72703-31503935/#ixzz2262uxawb

Demba Ba's Newcastle United silverware mission

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleJul 30 201

DEMBA BA has played down the significance of Newcastle United winning the Trofeu Internacional de Futebol do Guadiana in Portugal – but indicated he is still focused on the challenge ahead by expressing his wish to win something “for real” in a black-and-white shirt.

Today is the eve of the expiry of Ba’s £7m release clause.

Although many fans will not take anything for granted until the threat of a cut-price exit is over, the striker was again just getting on with business on Saturday night.

He netted at the second attempt against Braga after seeing his initial shot from the penalty spot beaten away before winning the free-kick which Ryan Taylor whipped home. Tomorrow will be the last day any suitors can activate the clause which will land his representatives £3.5m – and leave United with the other half of the fee.

Having opened talks with Newcastle about a new deal earlier this month, and having been assured he will mainly play alongside Papiss Cisse in the centre of United’s attack, Ba seems much happier.

The striker has rubbished talk of all of the clubs he has been linked with so far – but some fans have not been fully convinced by his words about him staying on.

Of course, even when the threat of a release clause disappears, Ba can still submit a transfer request and quit before the regular transfer window shuts in a month’s time.

However, after helping United land a pre-season trophy in the Algarve, he was prepared to dream about winning one of the major cups on offer to the Magpies next season.

Ba told the Chronicle: “Winning the trophy is nothing really, they are just games.

“We just need to keep that going. Hopefully we can do that for real at the end of the season.”

Ba netted 16 goals for the Magpies last season after emerging in predatory fashion after Ramadan.

Now observing Ramadan, Ba is United’s top scorer in pre-season with two.

His goal against Monaco two weeks ago was his first since February when he netted against Aston Villa in the 2-1 win.

United playmaker Hatem Ben Arfa will have his fitness assessed on Wednesday after failing to appear on the club’s tour of Portugal.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/07/30/demba-ba-s-newcastle-united-silverware-mission-72703-31503935/#ixzz2262uxawb

A full article out of three sentences. :lol:

What a mug.

Guest reefatoon

Just wait until Jimbo Jockstrap is on later, he will be jumping up and down on the desk, rabid foam flying everywhere, screaming and hollering about BA's release clause only having a couple of hours to go, as if it was one of the most exciting things to ever grace the channel . . . .