Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

The problem with Gameiro, Gervinho and Erdinc hasn't been the money being available. The players wanted to join or stay with clubs that have better prospects. As we're talking about Arsenal and a cash-rich PSG, that's understandable.

We could start trying to pay way over the odds, or buy players who aren't any better than the ones we've got, of course. Neither seem a good idea to me.

Ridiculous straw man. Is there no middle ground between those two scenarios?

If there are only three strikers on Earth better than what we've got, football really is fucked.

We've signed players the "normal way" before an have made bids this window so I don't know why we'd be suddenly unwilling.

Obviously not going to be signing anyone for 15m anytime soon but I see no reason to believe that we're categorically not signing anyone through negotiations.

At thee end of the day we've had ample time to indentify a shit load of targets. Something that clearly hasnt been done to enough extent gioven the time weve had to bolster our attack. If Erdinc sticks to his guns and doesnt come then we're looking sick like.

FWIW I don't have that much of a problem with out of contract players or buy-out clauses so long as the players are quality, looking at Wullies list that is a good selection of players.  Many people on here wanted us to go out and buy Moussa Sow from Lille for big money, but they got him for free last season so it proves that good players can be found in the bargain basement.

It would just be nice to see us going out and buy a player the normal way to prove that improving the team is primary to getting a good deal. Pay what's necessary for a player to come in and improve the team. Maybe we'd have done that for Gameiro if he hadn't rejected us, who knows. :dontknow:

Aye, I don't think there's any doubt that we have been willing to spend on a striker.

I don't understand why we don't feel Sturridge is worth a punt, even at £20m (if that is supposed to be the price for him, which does appear '"cheap" by current market standards).

Surely he's only going to get more valuable over the next few years? Barring something catastrophic happening to him, of course.

At thee end of the day we've had ample time to indentify a s*** load of targets. Something that clearly hasnt been done to enough extent gioven the time weve had to bolster our attack. If Erdinc sticks to his guns and doesnt come then we're looking sick like.

What reason is there to believe that we don't have alternatives other than pessimism?

It's worth reminding ourselves that at this point last season we had Perch, Campbell, and Gosling signed.

To Oldtype - I'm certainly one of the pessimist and nothing I've seen this window gives me any reason to change my view. I'm convinced his only plan is to reduce the cost base and bring in cash where he can; improving the team will be way down his list of priorities. I'm yet to be convinced there is any willingness to spend significant money on a striker. Don't believe there was any serious bid in for Gameiro or Gervinho and expect the erdinc deal to follow the same route - oh dear he doesn't want to come to us and we were prepared to pay £8m and 60k per week, honest!

All just my opinion obviously and desperately hope I'm wrong but I dread to think what state this football club will be in when he finally sells up.

To Oldtype - I'm certainly one of the pessimist and nothing I've seen this window gives me any reason to change my view. I'm convinced his only plan is to reduce the cost base and bring in cash where he can; improving the team will be way down his list of priorities. I'm yet to be convinced there is any willingness to spend significant money on a striker. Don't believe there was any serious bid in for Gameiro or Gervinho and expect the erdinc deal to follow the same route - oh dear he doesn't want to come to us and we were prepared to pay £8m and 60k per week, honest!

All just my opinion obviously and desperately hope I'm wrong but I dread to think what state this football club will be in when he finally sells up.

You what? As it stands, it'd not be that hard to argue that the clubs was in worse position when he took over, so I'm not sure where your great dread is welling up from.

No surprise but he isn't involved today.

Agent in talks for him to sign for us or rested as its a pre season freindly and tbh i go for the later ,fwiw if we are serious about him we will make an approach physically as he is in the country but not holding my breath .

No surprise but he isn't involved today.

Agent in talks for him to sign for us or rested as its a pre season freindly and tbh i go for the later ,fwiw if we are serious about him we will make an approach physically as he is in the country but not holding my breath .

Was it Gameiro & Hoarau up front today? Might be a case of him playing his second choice strikers yesterday against the weaker opponents and his first choice against the stiffer opposition.

Pardew not very conclusive about a striker in that interview on .cock

Seems it'll be the player we'll be bringing in when it happens, too.

what did he say?

On sky he just said, we know we need a player and we are trying. Didnt look to be in a very good mood either which is no suprise.

Guest BooBoo

Yes it does matter, it would be nice to bring in a player for money because we think he will improve our side, like our competitors do, rather than bringing in players because they're cheap/free/injured with their quality being rather a distant second priority.

Cabaye, Ba, Gosling, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez, Marveaux, it's all well and good extolling the virtues of these players on the field but we got them because they were all going way below their market value for one reason or another and not because we went out, scouted them and said "he's the one, get him".

Nowt wrong with it individually, but you can't build success like that. We're taking a massive risk injury-wise for a start.

This is my main beef with the transfer policy. Its based not upon primarily a player's quality but on whether we can get them at a knock down price.

Yes it does matter, it would be nice to bring in a player for money because we think he will improve our side, like our competitors do, rather than bringing in players because they're cheap/free/injured with their quality being rather a distant second priority.

Cabaye, Ba, Gosling, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez, Marveaux, it's all well and good extolling the virtues of these players on the field but we got them because they were all going way below their market value for one reason or another and not because we went out, scouted them and said "he's the one, get him".

Nowt wrong with it individually, but you can't build success like that. We're taking a massive risk injury-wise for a start.

This is my main beef with the transfer policy. Its based not upon primarily a player's quality but on whether we can get them at a knock down price.

Aye, its shite like :lol:

Guest BooBoo

Huh?

Guest bimpy474

Huh?

Insert 'THREE' in before player.

Thats better :)

Doesn't look hopeful in the near term (as already stated) from the nutv interview.

Interesting which player we are after has the delusions of grandeur he talked about though.

Could be Erdinc, could well describe a player in Sturriges position, or more worriyingly Defoe.

What it doesn't sound like on the plus side, is your Longs or Beckfords of this world.