Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

How much longer before this thread gets renamed as "The 'new' striker - Kris Boyd" ?

Not a chance in hell. The only people who backed Kris Boyd as a signing probably have links with dodgy Scottish agents or want to extend their own cushy contracts based on being great lads, essential for team spirit, etc, blah blah, and so on.

He has started 59 games and scored 23 goals in two seasons for PSG in Ligue 1. Can't see how that could be called a disapointment tbh.

Exactly. He just had one poor season and whilst it might be a gamble signing him, I reckon a change of scenery will do him some good!

This time last year he was player of the year, wasn't he?

Rozenhal was theirs also when we bought him, look how that turned out  :fool:. Its a bad omen I tells ya!!  :weep:

Guest Recoba

We have actually signed more players from PSG than any other foreign club.  The first being Ginola, Domi, Goma, Robert, Distin, Rozenhal and Erding would be number 7.

The best for me is Robert.  Ginola close but we got more out of Laurent even if Ginola had greater talent.

And what might have been if we had signed up Distin instead of Bramble ....

We have actually signed more players from PSG than any other foreign club.  The first being Ginola, Domi, Goma, Robert, Distin, Rozenhal and Erding would be number 7.

The best for me is Robert.  Ginola close but we got more out of Laurent even if Ginola had greater talent.

And what might have been if we had signed up Distin instead of Bramble ....

so thats where the 'hunting ground' journo piece came from. Exciting stuff

Guest Recoba

Aye forgot Pancrate.  Other than Rozenhal and Pancake I think they were all good players.

Domi and Goma just didn't settle, they looked decent I always thought.

I've asked Brassell n all, hopefully I'll get a reply.

He says: "I'm a fan personally. Intelligent and good finisher. Don't much like thought of him leading line on own though. Foil needed."

I've asked Brassell n all, hopefully I'll get a reply.

He says: "I'm a fan personally. Intelligent and good finisher. Don't much like thought of him leading line on own though. foilneeded."

Foil, Turkey, he's having you on.

The description that he's a pacey striker that works his bollocks off and runs the lines is something that we've been crying out for since Bellamy left.

Last season, especially under Hughton I think a lot of the poorer teams came to SJP knowing that if they could clean up Carroll's knockdowns we would struggle to break them down, simply because we had very little movement anywhere in the team apart from down the left.

We're still going to need a goalscorer to partner him but he sounds like the sort of player we need, I'm not sure if Ba is that partner but that's based on his dodgy knee rather than ability.

The description that he's a pacey striker that works his bollocks off and runs the lines is something that we've been crying out for since Bellamy left.

Last season, especially under Hughton I think a lot of the poorer teams came to SJP knowing that if they could clean up Carroll's knockdowns we would struggle to break them down, simply because we had very little movement anywhere in the team apart from down the left.

We're still going to need a goalscorer to partner him but he sounds like the sort of player we need, I'm not sure if Ba is that partner but that's based on his dodgy knee rather than ability.

carrolls knockdowns ? outside the box he won everything in the air but had not a clue where it was going, the defender may aswell have won them. inside the box different altogether.

carrolls knockdowns ? outside the box he won everything in the air but had not a clue where it was going, the defender may aswell have won them. inside the box different altogether.

knockdowns, knock on's etc.

Most of our football was route one and when they cleared up what was coming off his head we struggled to break teams down in open play.

Most of our football was route one and when they cleared up what was coming off his head we struggled to break teams down in open play.

thats what i was getting at, they cleared easily because his headers further out were directionless.

thats what i was getting at, they cleared easily because his headers further out were directionless.

The point I'm making is that with a static team with little movement it's much easier to clean those up.

The point I'm making is that with a static team with little movement it's much easier to clean those up.

Aye, when Carroll was playing for us, there were loads of occasions when he would win the header but there would be no-one near him to take advantage. This frustrated the hell out of me.

If we are playing a generic 4-4-2, Erdinç would be perfect for those knock-ons/knockdowns whatever (that's if we have that big target man playing alongside him).

EDIT: though I still reckon Erdinç can do a job as a lone striker too - just needs proper service.

Seems to be what the 'experts' say.

Is Ba able to play more of a target man though? I'd say he's more of the same as Erdinç from what I've seen and I can't see us buying 3 strikers.

Guest WashyGeordie

Is Ba able to play more of a target man though? I'd say he's more of the same as Erdinç from what I've seen and I can't see us buying 3 strikers.

We still have Best and Ameobi y'know...  :frantic:

Ba to me looks a similar type of target man that Drogba is in that he's good in the air and can hold the ball up but he isn't just going to stay in the middle, he's happy to come deep and run at players too.