Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Can we let Pardew off, just this once. He clearly didn't know the rules on saying the phrase "like a new signing".

It's when he starts bragging about the players that want to join us that we should start worrying.

Tbf i did call this  :lol:

Personally think if we sign Butterfield, Amalfantino(sp?), give players like Vuckic and Abeid more minutes and believe Marveaux can stay fit i dont think we will buy another midfielder.....

Providing everyone stays i expect RB, CB, Butterfield, Amalfantino and a young versatile forward.... if Best were to leave id expect him to be replaced and same goes for anyone else that leaves.

And i'll be happy with that, i also think Pardew will consider Marveaux a new signing ( if he can prove fitness in pre-season)

:smug:

In a sense he's right but he will have to prove his fitness in pre-season before even considering it.

Tbf i did call this  :lol:

Personally think if we sign Butterfield, Amalfantino(sp?), give players like Vuckic and Abeid more minutes and believe Marveaux can stay fit i dont think we will buy another midfielder.....

Providing everyone stays i expect RB, CB, Butterfield, Amalfantino and a young versatile forward.... if Best were to leave id expect him to be replaced and same goes for anyone else that leaves.

And i'll be happy with that, i also think Pardew will consider Marveaux a new signing ( if he can prove fitness in pre-season)

:smug:

In a sense he's right but he will have to prove his fitness in pre-season before even considering it.

i'd still like to get that left sided cabaye.

Maybe Marveaux can be that left sided Cabaye? although not as aggressive.

not how i see him, left or right of the forward 3 or wide in a middle 4, don't think he has the work, reading or aggression to play in the middle 3.

Not seen anywhere near enough of him to decide, common sense says madras is right, though I reckon he could play in the front 2 of a midfield diamond (tiote holding). Seems like a talented enough footballer.

thats as i wanted at the start of the season assuming him and ben arfa would be fit, those two playing round and alongside ba, tiote central cabaye right and jonas or another to the left (i assumed thats why there was talk of barnetta at the time)

not how i see him, left or right of the forward 3 or wide in a middle 4, don't think he has the work, reading or aggression to play in the middle 3.

He has played in a midfield (or forward) three for the majority of his time in Rennes. Imo, he'd be great foil for Cabaye and Tiote.

He has played in a midfield (or forward) three for the majority of his time in Rennes. Imo, he'd be great foil for Cabaye and Tiote.

whenever i watched him he was always more forward and very wide when further back.

Guest BooBoo

Marveaux's looked quality every time he's played IMO, immaculate technique and passing.  Just hope he can stay fit.

Steady on. Neat and tidy on the whole but haven't seen anywhere near enough to decide on his quality. Given his injury problems over the last two years, it would be folly to earmark him as a first time regular next season.

I'd like to see:

Tiote

Cabaye                Marveaux

Ben Arfa

Ba                      Cisse

Worth a try in pre-season IMO.

Marveaux's looked quality every time he's played IMO, immaculate technique and passing.  Just hope he can stay fit.

Steady on. Neat and tidy on the whole but haven't seen anywhere near enough to decide on his quality. Given his injury problems over the last two years, it would be folly to earmark him as a first time regular next season.

Didn't say he's quality, just that he's looked quality every time he's played, and I stick by that.  I've been extremely impressed by his passing and technique, we'll see just how good he is when/if he plays regularly.  I wouldn't count on him being a first team regular.  But I'm very hopeful that he'll be an important player for us, my biggest doubt by far is his fitness rather than his ability.

Guest ThievingMagpie

I'd like to see:

Tiote

Ben Arfa

That would own but holy crap would Tiote have to cover for a lot of his defensive cock-ups.

I'd like to see:

Tiote

Ben Arfa

If we have Debuchy and Santon as fullbacks next season and dominate possession alot more to take the pressure off the defence that just might work.

Not a chance of that happening. The only way to accommodate those 4 plus the strikers would be a 4-4-2 with Cabaye sitting back to help Tiote, obviously that's not ideal as I think we all want to see Cabaye in a more attacking position next season.

Imo if we keep everyone it'll be more a case of:

Tiote  Jonas

Cabaye

Ben Arfa  Cisse/Ba  Marveux

We are probably going to be concentrating on the defence transfer wise.

Not a chance of that happening. The only way to accommodate those 4 plus the strikers would be a 4-4-2 with Cabaye sitting back to help Tiote, obviously that's not ideal as I think we all want to see Cabaye in a more attacking position next season.

Nah it wont happen, but with a few adjustments and signings in right areas it could feasibly work.

I'd like to see:

Tiote

Ben Arfa

Agreed.

I don't think Marveaux is the same player he was a couple of years ago, he's barely played in that time and i'd expect the injuries to have taken their toll. at rennes he was an explosive winger but i think that pace has largely gone now so he'll have to re-adjust his game and perhaps find a new position.

his technique and passing looked sexy vs everton and in his games earlier he seemed to play deeper and more central to try to dictate rather than stay wide, dribble or use pace as he would've a few years back. i could actually see him reposition as more of a modric style player if he stays fit and gets to grips with the physicality and tempo of the league. even if he plays in a front three he'd probably play more as a Silva style player than what some seem to be expecting.

I don't think there's any chance that Jonas won't be first choice.

Agreed. I wouldn't be against him being demoted to second-choice, but Jonas' role in the 4-3-3 is vital for our more inventive players, like Ben Arfa and Cabaye. I think Marveaux could do it too, because he's just as good at keeping possession as Jonas is, but with better vision. Another of Jonas' attributes, and why i think he'll still be ahead of Marveaux, is his tendency to draw the foul. It's quite an understated aspect of our game, but no less useful.

Based on Pardew's typical philsophy, i think Marveaux will be a 'cup player' at most next season.

Oh good, the 'Ben Arfa playing central' argument is back. :lol:

Not that I would encourage it (he's positively lethal on the right) but it is probably a different story when there's a player like Cisse up front?