Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

I think Marveaux will be perfect for 4-3-3. One striker with Ben Arfa and Marveaux on either side would be devastating combo IMO. By dropping the second striker, not only do you accommodate an extra midfielder giving the wide players licence, you also have a top striker on the bench to change things up. Not to mention the 3rd striker option becomes less important.

Aye, now that we've failed to land another striker we should be going towards a 4-3-3 more often.

I'm not sure what Ba's situation is or what Pardew has promised him, but he really needs to be a team player and play out left when asked to. He should still get games centrally when we go 4-4-2, and if he can dislodge Cisse as the starting central striker in a 4-3-3 then more power to him.

Tiote          Anita

Cabaye

Ben Arfa                      Marveaux

Cisse

Is something I really want to see at some point.

Rotate those 6 along with Ba and Jonas and we should really be able to play some good football. Lot of flexibility there with Ba, Jonas and Marveaux being so versatile. :)

tbh. He hasn´t shown anything yet that would suggest that he is good enough to help our team to push on if we would miss anyone. And that still even a few of our first teamers isn´t good enough from the start.

Wat?

Ignore him, he's the most negative chump on the forum these past couple of weeks.

I think Marveaux will be perfect for 4-3-3. One striker with Ben Arfa and Marveaux on either side would be devastating combo IMO. By dropping the second striker, not only do you accommodate an extra midfielder giving the wide players licence, you also have a top striker on the bench to change things up. Not to mention the 3rd striker option becomes less important.

Aye, now that we've failed to land another striker we should be going towards a 4-3-3 more often.

I'm not sure what Ba's situation is or what Pardew has promised him, but he really needs to be a team player and play out left when asked to. He should still get games centrally when we go 4-4-2, and if he can dislodge Cisse as the starting central striker in a 4-3-3 then more power to him.

Tiote          Anita

Cabaye

Cisse

Rotate those 6 along with Ba and Jonas and we should really be able to play some good football. Lot of flexibility there with Ba, Jonas and Marveaux being so versatile. :)

Dat team and rotation options. :drool:

tbh. He hasn´t shown anything yet that would suggest that he is good enough to help our team to push on if we would miss anyone. And that still even a few of our first teamers isn´t good enough from the start.

Wat?

If there was ever a perfect use for the 'wat?' response, this is it.  :lol:

Tiote          Anita

Cabaye

Cisse

I think the fact that we didn't sign another striker will actually help us here. Perfect excuse to rotate Ba and Cisse with our heavy fixture schedule. Marveaux and Arfa both look like they've got goals in them as well so plenty of firepower even with one striker up top.

Tiote          Anita

Cabaye

Cisse

I think the fact that we didn't sign another striker will actually help us here. Perfect excuse to rotate Ba and Cisse with our heavy fixture schedule. Marveaux and Arfa both look like they've got goals in them as well so plenty of firepower even with one striker up top.

Aye, I dare say Obertan would benefit from playing a bit more advanced too. Sammy looks a good fit as a wide player in 4-3-3 too.

Missed the game against Atromitos btw, what formation did we play?

Guest bimpy474

Tiote          Anita

Cabaye

Cisse

Aye, I dare say Obertan would benefit from playing a bit more advanced too. Sammy looks a good fit as a wide player in 4-3-3 too.

Kind of 4-2-3-1 but Haris spent most of time up alongside BA.

Tiote          Anita

Cabaye

Cisse

Pretty much 4-3-3 with Obertan and Marveaux being the wide forwards. It worked well with both players giving the Greeks a tough night.

If we're going 4-4-2 at the weekend, i'd have him on the left ahead of Jonas all day long. Aside from the fact he looks dead classy, he's left-footed - plain and simple. We're so unbalanced in that formation that it borders on the ridiculous. Two right-footers down the left just doesn't work at all - and it's the same on the other side with Ben Arfa.

Gah, there really is so many reasons why 4-4-2 doesn't work for us. Fucking irritating.

I know he values being compact and hard to break down above all, and I really appreciate it considering how easily teams have broken us down in recent years, but there MUST be a way that we can be solid and achieve some sort of rhythm going forward. We basically rely on Hatem skinning 4 men, Cabaye playing a wonder ball or the strikers feeding off scraps. Last season in a 4-3-3 we were knocking it about really really well and making progress up the pitch.

Guest bimpy474

Looked a 4-4-2 to me from Vuckic onwards.

I thought it was bit more of a looser system, Bigi was deeper than Gosling in the middle. As Varadi said Marv wandered and Obertan stayed wide. Haris was indeed pushed up very high.

Was actually quite nice to see, it wasn't rigid and i think thats why we are seeing so many of us thinking it was different.

Guest bimpy474

TRon mate, it was never 4-3-3 in a millions years.

I was looking at Vukic as more an attacking midfielder than a striker as such which is where the difference seems to lie.

I thought we roamed about a bit, nice to see actually. Haris if fit definitely suits playing off the front like.

I was looking at Vukic as more an attacking midfielder than a striker as such which is where the difference seems to lie.

I thought we roamed about a bit, nice to see actually. Haris if fit definitely suits playing off the front like.

Yeah there was some decent movement all over the pitch I thought, none of the big gaps we sometimes see when the first team is playing with Cisse and Ba up front.

Guest bimpy474

Yeah there was some decent movement all over the pitch I thought, none of the big gaps we sometimes see when the first team is playing with Cisse and Ba up front.

Well spotted mate, that was the one of the things i noticed as well, Haris was always around Ba and not isolated like Cisse gets (so far this season anyhoo). Hope its like that tomorrow. Nice to see us rolling the ball out from Krul and not going long with it whenever he has it too.

Well spotted mate, that was the one of the things i noticed as well, Haris was always around Ba and not isolated like Cisse gets (so far this season anyhoo). Hope its like that tomorrow. Nice to see us rolling the ball out from Krul and not going long with it whenever he has it too.

Aye we definitely were very deliberate in trying to play it out from the back with the way we were set up. I'm not a Gosling fan but even he was trying to do the right things, picking the ball up in midfield and driving it forward and generally moving well. You can put that down to the opposition but despite the fact they had no goal threat they were still a tidy side I thought.

Guest bimpy474

Aye we definitely were very deliberate in trying to play it out from the back with the way we were set up. I'm not a Gosling fan but even he was trying to do the right things, picking the ball up in midfield and driving it forward and generally moving well. You can put that down to the opposition but despite the fact they had no goal threat they were still a tidy side I thought.

They were ok, thing was you could kind of sense if we got a second they could well have folded. Their full backs were very poor and we had lots of joy wide.

Quite surprised to see some on here say we played not that well. I thought we played ok myself.

A bit obvious Pards is trying to play out from the back and play through teams.

That was evident through out pre season and during this season, the only thing missing at the moment is turning the neat and tidy passing into actual chances and end product.

It will come though.

If you're Pardew though, do you favour Marveaux's flair and quality on the ball over Jonas' tactical discipline and work rate?

Jonas all day long.

If marv hadn't of played Thursday i'd slide with marv with villa not being much of a threat out wide. However away from home Jonas without a doubt but most weaker teams at home i'd go Marv.

• 3 weeks later...