Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

I think Pardew's biggest problem is that he can't find a position for Marveaux where he can utilize his qualities.

I don't think there is a position without dropping a better player tbf.

Yep. That's the problem. He could do a very good job in the AM role, but I don't want to move Sissoko out wide or into a deeper role.

I don't mind seeing Sissoko wide every now and then, the middle part of the pitch gets a bit too cramped for him at times.

Absolutely has to be on the pitch in the absence of Ben Arfa IMO.

Central is his best position, but he's still a better option out wide than a "Jonas out wide".

Bit of movement around him and he's a different player. Funnily enough, for the goal our movement was poor but a Stoke player broke the line to close Marveaux down and he just threaded the ball through the space that had opened up. Still if we were a team with some decent movement in it he'd come to the fore.

Credit where it's due, he played well and set up the winner with his cameo off the bench. He needs to keep doing that, especially when he starts a game. One assist doesn't mean those previous mediocre performances didn't happen. I want him to succeed, it's up to him to put the performances in every game he plays.

Against the likes of Stoke who sit so deep that vision is more useful than pace, we should be looking to drop Sissoko deeper instead of Tiote and play Marveaux at the tip of the midfield.

Against the likes of Stoke who sit so deep that vision is more useful than pace, we should be looking to drop Sissoko deeper instead of Tiote and play Marveaux at the tip of the midfield.

This is the kind of tactical nous I wish Pardew had, pumping balls into the box wasn't going to work, Stoke are all tall and physical (plus begovic was more than happy to come out for them) and were happy to defend that.

Very good point, 

Very good point, 

I think we would be sacrificing a lot of Sissoko's best attacking attributes attributes if we played him in a midfield 3 with Cabaye and Marv.

Very good point, 

I think we would be sacrificing a lot of Sissoko's best attacking attributes attributes if we played him in a midfield 3 with Cabaye and Marv.

Horses for courses, et cetera.

Very good point, 

His attacking attributes are best used on the break imo. Early days but I don't think games like yesterday suit him.