The 2011-2012 Betting Thread: Last call for 2011/12 football, pretty much

Stu

You don't seem keen at all on Germany today, David?

Don't know, really really don't know. I know the way Portugal play -  very quick on the counter attack - doesn't suit Germany.

Two counter attacking teams. :scared:

Germany aren't really that counter attacking. They did it at the WC 2010 a lot, but that was because they got an early lead in many games - like against Argentinia or England. Against Spain, Ghana and Serbia they either had to attack or even chase the game and failed - or like against Ghana - needed a moment of magic from Özil to sneak out a 1-0 win.

They're definitely at their best when counter attacking though, although of course they will obviously try to control the game today. I don't think they have a great attack for getting through tight defences so we'll see. No surprises that their best performances in the World Cup came against two shocking defences when counter attacking all match.

What's happened to Bastian btw?

Don't know, really really don't know. I know the way Portugal play -  very quick on the counter attack - doesn't suit Germany.

Two counter attacking teams. :scared:

Germany aren't really that counter attacking. They did it at the WC 2010 a lot, but that was because they got an early lead in many games - like against Argentinia or England. Against Spain, Ghana and Serbia they either had to attack or even chase the game and failed - or like against Ghana - needed a moment of magic from Özil to sneak out a 1-0 win.

They're definitely at their best when counter attacking though, although of course they will obviously try to control the game today. I don't think they have a great attack for getting through tight defences so we'll see. No surprises that their best performances in the World Cup came against two shocking defences when counter attacking all match.

What's happened to Bastian btw?

That's what I was on about. Portugal today will play counter attacking football, will sit deep and wait for their chances with Nani and Ronny on the break. Will be difficult to break down.

Schweinsteiger missed the penalty in the CL final which will still be in his head. Just imagine him taking a penalty today.....

Added to that, after missing almost the whole 2nd half of the season, he's not been 100% and got injured again during the CL final. Löw said he's trained well and with the team for the last 2 or 3 days but everyone who has a bit of knowledge here knows that he won't be at 100% today. He'll play because of his presence and because he's the real leader - instead of Lahm, who just wears the captains armband to look a bit taller.

You not a Lahm fan David?

Don't like any Bayern players really. But he's just a snob (person trying to look very important despite he normally wouldn't) and often comes accros as quite arrogant. Played a big part in getting Ballack out of the national side as well imo.

Added to that, he's quite eh... gay.

Guest Shaun

Cisse score? I looked for first goalscorer, but they didn't seem to be running it.

Yeah. I couldn't find it either.

Don't know, really really don't know. I know the way Portugal play -  very quick on the counter attack - doesn't suit Germany. Schweinsteiger will definitely play and will definitely not be at 100% - neither mentally or physically.

If the latest rumours of Gomez starting are true then that's another reason not to back them today, as we all know how poor he can be for Germany - despite banging them in for Bayern.

Last but not least, the defence. Of course, Lahm is world class but he'll play on the left - not against Cristiano. Ronaldo will play against Höwedes, Bender (who's never played as a RB before) or indeed Boateng - who's never been short of an error (or of a meeting with a German top model, at 2:00 am at a hotel bar, just days before the tournament. :lol:)

If Özil, Müller and Podolski won't do their magic, and if Khedira won't be able to play for at least 1 1/2 players, then I can't see them winning today.

Will place my bet after the Holland game.

So basically if Germany's best players don't turn up, they might not win? I know what you're saying about their defence though. Boateng/Howedes at left back and one of Mertesacker/Hummels (who has been class for Dortmund but poor for Germany) in the middle hardly inspires confidence. Still it's a big ask for an inconsistent Portugal side.

Out of curiosity what are the best odds on Germany?

200€ on Holland and 100€ on Holland -1.

What does the -1 mean?

I'm guessing

Holland draw = loss

Holland win by 1 goal = stake returned

Holland win by 2 or more = win

win if Holland wins by at least two goal margin, otherwise I lose. Odds were 17/10 which tells me nothing or 2.70 as we do it. Guess I just start putting on the decimal odds, it's easier for you to understand that than me understanding fractions.

Think 3.00 at -1 is quite decent considering players like Robben or Van Persie who're always looking for another goal and considering players like Huntelaar or VdV are only on the bench.

Might add something...

Edit: Added 250€ on Holland -1. Do it.