The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

Ben Arfa and Ba will take the piss out of Terry and Luiz, go for them and we'll win.  I know Lampard has scored a few since he came back into the side but Chelsea don't look as good as they did without him.

Having Tiote to win it and play it to Ben Arfa will be a massive boost over yesterday, get Ben Arfa running at them and we're bound to get chances. Further reason to keep playing him to get him back to full speed, the Ben Arfa of last season is capable of going past Terry like he's not there.

Guest Chubby Jason

Ben Arfa and Ba will take the p*ss out of Terry and Luiz, go for them and we'll win.  I know Lampard has scored a few since he came back into the side but Chelsea don't look as good as they did without him.

In which games did they look good without him?

They looked better in the 2nd half against Man United when he went off at half time. Apart from that he's been good as usual. Great to see him prove so many people wrong that were writing him off after 2 or 3 bad games.

I feel sorry for Villas Boas, his team just aren't good enough for what he wants to do, I think he'd probably be a success if given chance to do a root and branch rebuild, which is what Chelsea desperately need (not just very expensive famous player), but he'll be gone soon enough, and next manager will struggle as well

I feel sorry for Villas Boas, his team just aren't good enough for what he wants to do, I think he'd probably be a success if given chance to do a root and branch rebuild, which is what Chelsea desperately need (not just very expensive famous player), but he'll be gone soon enough, and next manager will struggle as well

VB inherited a team that had just finished 2nd. Considering they didn't have their £50m striker for the first half of the season and key players struggled with injuries during that period too, it's apparent that he deserves no sympathy whatsoever. He's spent a lot of money turning a team that could easily have won the title last season into a team that'll struggle to finish in the top 4.

Guest Heneage

I think AVB vastly overrated his centre backs when he arrived at the club. Add that  to Mikel who has a terrible habit for dwelling on the ball he needs to change his tactics or change his selection. He can drop Mikel for Romeu who has that Barcelona ideology of one touch and quick release, but for centre back I've no idea who he'll bring in meaning he'll have to drop them deeper.

Didn't have their '50m striker'? He's been pretty shit...I mean not too much sympathy, he's being paid well etc etc but seriously the signs of decline were starting last year, and that second seemed for a team that were only in the race because Man U had spent most the year being pretty poor most the year, and Arsenal's embarrassing collapse.

Also I very much doubt that AVB has much say over transfers, Mereiles even was sold by him at Porto, hardly someone he greatly rates then.

Didn't have their '50m striker'? He's been pretty shit...I mean not too much sympathy, he's being paid well etc etc but seriously the signs of decline were starting last year, and that second seemed for a team that were only in the race because Man U had spent most the year being pretty poor most the year, and Arsenal's embarrassing collapse.

Also I very much doubt that AVB has much say over transfers, Mereiles even was sold by him at Porto, hardly someone he greatly rates then.

doubt he had much say in Meriles sale considering the policy at Porto is to sell players at high prices and no doubt they got a fair fee for him as I recall

I think AVB vastly overrated his centre backs when he arrived at the club. Add that  to Mikel who has a terrible habit for dwelling on the ball he needs to change his tactics or change his selection. He can drop Mikel for Romeu who has that Barcelona ideology of one touch and quick release, but for centre back I've no idea who he'll bring in meaning he'll have to drop them deeper.

You say that, but under Ancelotti they had the best defence in the country two seasons running, despite an offensive style of play.

VB is simply not cut out for this level of football just yet.

Actually maybe agree with you here, should have either stayed at Porto or moved made an intermediary step, he could well have been lined up at a Wenger successor in a few years like that

Guest Heneage

You say that, but under Ancelotti they had the best defence in the country two seasons running, despite an offensive style of play.

I should clarify, when I say overrated I mean in terms of the style he wanted to play and their versatility. Under an Italian manager you are never going to play the way AVB does.

At Porto he had a far more physically adept back four, Otamendi, Rolando in particular are strong athletes which meant he could play much higher up than he will have to with Chelsea's centre backs. It's also important to remember that the physicality stretched to his DM too with the inclusion of Fernando who would bully someone like Mikel in a one on one.

Obviously the fact his strikers (Falcao and Hulk) were better than anything the Portuguese league had played a part, but purely from a tactical perspective his players at Porto were far more suited to it. In fact I'd say that his Porto side would beat this Chelsea side.