The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

reckon Valdes will drop a clanger tonight.

Did the bloke have a bet on Madrid? :lol:

Hugely impressed by Barca. I think plenty of people thought Real had the edge last night and when Valdes fucked up for the first time of numerous times last night, he was punished immediately and many would have thought Real would go on to win comfortably. But I guess writing off this Barcelona side was somewhat ludicrous in hindsight.

Oh, and Messi - who wasn't even at his best IMO - was still immeasurably better than Ronaldo. Again. And there are still people out there (not so much on here) who will claim he's not. Staggering.

Also, take a bow Iniesta. One of his finest games ever last night.

Hugely impressed by Barca. I think plenty of people thought Real had the edge last night and when Valdes fucked up for the first time of numerous times last night, he was punished immediately and many would have thought Real would go on to win comfortably. But I guess writing off this Barcelona side was somewhat ludicrous in hindsight.

Oh, and Messi - who wasn't even at his best IMO - was still immeasurably better than Ronaldo. Again. And there are still people out there (not so much on here) who will claim he's not. Staggering.

Barca recovered very well, but I thought Real Madrid "should" (ugly footballing word, I know) have won that game in the first half. If someone other than the awful Cronaldo had got the chances he had, they would've been out of sight by half time. He missed them, was greedy and scuppered good positions by not passing. Then Messi shows some brilliance and the Sanchez goal puts them back in. Even then though, I thought Benzema, Ozil, Coentrao and Diarra were the standout players on the pitch.

Again, another wasted chance by Cronaldo, which he stole from the waiting Benzema and with a little luck Barca Xavi's deflected shot gives them the lead. From there, it's game over. Fantastic front-runners, and renewed confidence. Vintage Barcelona-beating-the-shit-out-of-RM. All of RM's intimidation factor is depleted, their heads drop, and their energy levels run low.

Mourinho did well - but you can't legislate for Cronaldo having that much of a stinker. Why Ozil came off instead of Cronaldo, and why Higuain wasn't introduced earlier though, I don't know.

Hugely impressed by Barca. I think plenty of people thought Real had the edge last night and when Valdes f***ed up for the first time of numerous times last night, he was punished immediately and many would have thought Real would go on to win comfortably. But I guess writing off this Barcelona side was somewhat ludicrous in hindsight.

Barca recovered very well, but I thought Real Madrid "should" (ugly footballing word, I know) have won that game in the first half. If someone other than the awful Cronaldo had got the chances he had, they would've been out of sight by half time. He missed them, was greedy and scuppered good positions by not passing. Then Messi shows some brilliance and the Sanchez goal puts them back in. Even then though, I thought Benzema, Ozil, Coentrao and Diarra were the standout players on the pitch.

Again, another wasted chance by Cronaldo, which he stole from the waiting Benzema and with a little luck Barca Xavi's deflected shot gives them the lead. From there, it's game over. Fantastic front-runners, and renewed confidence. Vintage Barcelona-beating-the-s***-out-of-RM. All of RM's intimidation factor is depleted, their heads drop, and their energy levels run low.

Mourinho did well - but you can't legislate for Cronaldo having that much of a stinker. Why Ozil came off instead of Cronaldo, and why Higuain wasn't introduced earlier though, I don't know.

Luck goes both ways though. Madrid "shouldn't" have got the goal they got so early in the game. And we had a fair share of chances in the first half too, like that Messi shot that Casillas saved down the post.

I agree that Real Madrid's confidence seemed to go to pot when we equalised, which is strange given their form coming into the game, and Mourinho's supposed strength in managing a team's mentality. Once we went 1-3 we ran them ragged, and they were lucky not to be at the end of a drubbing. Football is funny sometimes.

Regarding Özil being subbed, he doesn't have the engine to last a full game, and he is subbed pretty often around the 60min mark, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Cronaldo is just un-subbable (like Messi). Khedira for Lass when they were two down was a bit more of a head-scratcher, he should have tried putting Sahin on.

Benzema had a good game, and he and Higuaín don't really mix well together, it's been tried in a few games and it has never clicked. I think Benzema is much better on the ball so it wasn't a bad choice given the kind of team they were up against.

I know Ozil always comes off, but he didn't look especially leggy and Cronaldo was in one of his sulky moods, where he has to keep trying the same failing shit over and over again to prove something to himself (which, in this case was running the ball into crowds of players and remarkably being crowded out). Players being unsubbable is bad. Thought Callejon might have got some time too, but oh well.

The luck I referred to was only in respect of the deflected goal, VI. Not your overall performance.

The game could have swung either way is my point. Many that I know, sadly, think this was a routine victory. I don't think it was. Barca were more clinical and deserved their victory but it was a close fought game which I felt RM could have won before you really asserted yourself.

I don't think Barca's lack of fluidity first half was accidental either, but a result of Real Madrid's Barca-esque pressing. Messi forced fantastic saves from Casillas, whereas Ronaldo just put his header and shot wide plain wide next to no pressure on him (other than the occasion) - which differentiates them to me. Messi couldn't have done much better from that angle or with his chances, Ronaldo... well, the less said the better. Good match, anyway. Especially for you. :lol:

I know Ozil always comes off, but he didn't look especially leggy and Cronaldo was in one of his sulky moods, where he has to keep trying the same failing shit over and over again to prove something to himself (which, in this case was running the ball into crowds of players and remarkably being crowded out). Players being unsubbable is bad. Thought Callejon might have got some time too, but oh well.

The luck I referred to was only in respect of the deflected goal, VI. Not your overall performance.

The game could have swung either way is my point. Many that I know, sadly, think this was a routine victory. I don't think it was. Barca were more clinical and deserved their victory but it was a close fought game which I felt RM could have won before you really asserted yourself.

I don't think Barca's lack of fluidity first half was accidental either, but a result of Real Madrid's Barca-esque pressing. Messi forced fantastic saves from Casillas, whereas Ronaldo just put his header and shot wide plain wide next to no pressure on him (other than the occasion) - which differentiates them to me. Messi couldn't have done much better from that angle or with his chances, Ronaldo... well, the less said the better. Good match, anyway. Especially for you. :lol:

The thing that stood out for me was that this was a real test of Barca. How many times have they been up against it in recent years? Hardly ever. Then to go 1-0 down straight away yet keep their focus (yes, bit of luck with the 2nd) but to come back and outplay Real for large parts was mightily impressive. In a game where the talk was about Real finally having the edge over Barca, the latter's mediocre away form, those myths - for the time being - were put to bed.

Aye, it could have gone very badly for us after the first goal, but once we asserted ourselves in the pitch I thought there was no contest, imho. The SuperCopa games earlier in the season were the toughest we have played in a while, and I expected something even harder, but their pressing diluted quite quickly this time around.

Still, given how everybody thought Madrid would eat us alive this time, "end of cycle" and all that... this win has been a tremendous one. I still have this stupid smile in my face and it's going to last until Christmas at least.

:lol: Andy Thorn, great answer

No idea how he hasn't been sacked yet

They can't afford to. They have no ground to call their own, they need 23000 each week just to break even, they average 14000. If there's a club bound for administration it's Coventry City.

Incidentally, was surprised to see some Real Madrid fans booing Cronaldo yesterday, the fairweather c***s.

Still, he needs to take a close look to himself and the way he plays lately. He has too much ability to just be a battering ram, which essentially is what he's done since he moved to Real Madrid. His stats are exploding, but I get the feeling his overall play has regressed. And the way he wasted possession yesterday was ludicrous.

A Real Madrid fan made me aware of this yesterday, too: if you take out penalties Higuaín has scored more goals in less games this season.

Scum: Westwood, O'Shea ©, Bardsley, Brown, Bramble, Richardson, Larsson, Colback, Vaughan, Sessegnon, Wickham.

BBurn: Robinson, Lowe, Salgado, Samba ©, Dann, Givet, Pedersen, Vukcevic, Dunn, Yakubu, Formica.

Howay Blackburnlona