Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Whether he is fit enough to play or not, Fabricio Coloccini tells nufc.co.uk he will play his part at Sunderland

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Managing Editor

Fabricio Coloccini has vowed to play his part at the Stadium of Light on Sunday, even if it is not on the pitch, as he laughed off suggestions about being sidelined until Christmas with a groin injury.

The Argentine defender picked up the knock while on international duty earlier this month and missed last weekend's Premier League draw with Liverpool.

However, he has been back in light training this week at the Magpies' Benton-based headquarters, with boss Alan Pardew revealing on Friday that the skipper is "touch and go" for spot in the Tyne-Wear derby.

And even if Sunday's fixture comes too early for Coloccini, the centre-back will lend his experience and know-how to the rest of the dressing room, as Newcastle bid for another positive result on Wearside.

"It is not too bad. I have started to run so I am pleased with that," Coloccini told nufc.co.uk about his groin complaint.

"I heard in the news that I was supposed to be in Argentina, that I could be out for ten weeks but no, that is not true.

"It is difficult when you are out, especially for games like Sunderland, because you would like to be on the pitch.

"I am not sure whether I will play yet but if I don't I will give the players help and talk to them.

"A lot of them played in the derby last year, apart from Remy, but everyone knows what this game means.

"It is a big one for everyone and hopefully we can get three points."

Great club captain.

OMG, SEES, TOLD YAS SO, SPACKAZZZ!!!!  LOL

This is how it works right? :troll:

Whether he is fit enough to play or not, Fabricio Coloccini tells nufc.co.uk he will play his part at Sunderland

Fabricio Coloccini has vowed to play his part at the Stadium of Light on Sunday, even if it is not on the pitch, as he laughed off suggestions about being sidelined until Christmas with a groin injury.

The Argentine defender picked up the knock while on international duty earlier this month and missed last weekend's Premier League draw with Liverpool.

However, he has been back in light training this week at the Magpies' Benton-based headquarters, with boss Alan Pardew revealing on Friday that the skipper is "touch and go" for spot in the Tyne-Wear derby.

And even if Sunday's fixture comes too early for Coloccini, the centre-back will lend his experience and know-how to the rest of the dressing room, as Newcastle bid for another positive result on Wearside.

"It is not too bad. I have started to run so I am pleased with that," Coloccini told nufc.co.uk about his groin complaint.

"I heard in the news that I was supposed to be in Argentina, that I could be out for ten weeks but no, that is not true.

"It is difficult when you are out, especially for games like Sunderland, because you would like to be on the pitch.

"I am not sure whether I will play yet but if I don't I will give the players help and talk to them.

"A lot of them played in the derby last year, apart from Remy, but everyone knows what this game means.

Great club captain.

:lol: Good to hear that from him though. It does sound like he has been reading this thread like.

Great club captain.

:lol: Good to hear that from him though. It does sound like he has been reading this thread like.

It would be great if he had.  Anyhow, nice to see him doing what a club captain should.

It's more likely that he hasn't and he's not what some people think.

I agree. I wasn't actually suggesting he'd been reading forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Coloccini told he’ll have to fight for his place

by MILES STARFORTH

FABRICIO Coloccini’s been told he’ll have to wait his chance at Newcastle United – just like any other player.

Captain Coloccini had been expected to return to the starting XI at White Hart Lane yesterday after recovering from a groin problem.

But United manager Alan Pardew kept faith with central defenders Mike Williamson and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

And the pair – who had performed well in the club’s 2-0 win over Chelsea a week earlier – helped Newcastle claim another three points and another clean sheet, with United’s Loic Remy scoring the only goal of the game.

Trailing to Remy’s early strike, Tottenham Hotspur just couldn’t find a way past goalkeeper Tim Krul and his team-mates.

Asked if he had erred on the side of caution with Argentinian ace Coloccini given that the Toon skipper only had a few days training, Pardew told the Gazette: “The other two centre-halves have done terrific.

“As a manager, you’ve got to reward players who do well.”

However, Coloccini will be hopeful of returning to the starting XI on November 23, when Norwich City visit St James’s Park.

And the suspension of Mathieu Debuchy – who picked up his fifth booking of the season against Spurs – could see Coloccini come back into the team for the visit of Norwich, managed by his old boss Chris Hughton, with Yanga-Mbiwa potentially moving to full-back.

While Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas conceded his team had started poorly, he felt Krul was ultimately the difference between the two sides on the day.

“Well, it was difficult to take,” admitted Villas-Boas.

“Obviously, we have to look at ourselves and recognise that our first half was very, very poor.

“That is the negative part of the game, and the positive part is that we have reacted so strongly. I think that the result is unfair given what we created, particularly in the second half.

“I think Tim Krul was the key to the game – he made the difference.

“Newcastle made a good start, and we made a poor start ourselves, so we’ve responded with a good second half, but that 45-minute advantage was probably the blow for us.

“Our disappointment comes from that, although I still think had one of those opportunities gone in we would have won the game.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/coloccini-told-he-ll-have-to-fight-for-his-place-1-6233921

It'll be so frustrating if Willo and Yanga are split up, just so Yanga can fill in for Debuchy.

Keep the centre-back pairing that has been absolutely crucial to our last two clean sheets, and offer Dummett some more playing time.

I don't think Pardew will change it now, until there's an injury, suspension or hammering.

Well, there's a suspension, so he might change it now. :razz:

See, I say it'll be so frustrating, but then I start to doubt myself. Willo's done extremely well but there's clearly no longevity in having him there. Could be a good way to ease him back out of the team, but Coloccini's got to prove himself, cos he's been our 'third best' CB this season.

It'll be so frustrating if Willo and Yanga are split up, just so Yanga can fill in for Debuchy.

Keep the centre-back pairing that has been absolutely crucial to our last two clean sheets, and offer Dummett some more playing time.

Dummett shouldn't be anywhere near the Premier League unless it's based in Scotland. The best option is to play MYM at full back and bring Colo back in at centre half.

So people rather have Dummet playing then splitting up our CB pairing and playing our best central defender?

When two players are in such form and have managed to create a decent partnership at CB I think its very understandable that most do not ant that disrupting.  Had we replaced Simpson this would not even be a problem but as it is is going to be Colo back in then MYM at RB. That's fine but what about the next game, Debuchy will be back in at RB and with Colo back in at CB who misses out?

Willio or Mapou?

So people rather have Dummet playing then splitting up our CB pairing and playing our best central defender?

When two players are in such form and have managed to create a decent partnership at CB I think its very understandable that most do not ant that disrupting.  Had we replaced Simpson this would not even be a problem but as it is is going to be Colo back in then MYM at RB. That's fine but what about the next game, Debuchy will be back in at RB and with Colo back in at CB who misses out?

Willio or Mapou?

Depends, if Colo and Willo works then Mapou is moved out, if it doesn't Mapou will play centrally and Colo will have to earn his place. Also, fwiw, I'd rather play Haidara over Dummet.