Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

The point is that he gave the ref a decision to make, whether it was a pen or not is debatable but it was stupid from an experienced defender. 

Never a red card but again it has split opinion  All Collocini's fault.

Every single 50-50 where two opposing players meet at some point will give the ref a decision to make! That decision is foul or no foul, believe it or not. If he had just left him and Elliot hadn't got there in time, we would be sitting here saying how stupid he was for not making an attempt. With all of Coloccini's faults and serious degradation in ability, this was a very simple decision for the ref to call.

I've never seen a free kick given for a shoulder to shoulder let alone a penalty. Ludicrous decision backed up by an even more mental one.  I must be honest, when I heard the whistle go, I thought he was going to give them an indirect for obstruction, that would have been bad enough imo.

Guest Roger Kint

I've never seen a free kick given for a shoulder to shoulder let alone a penalty. Ludicrous decision backed up by an even more mental one.  I must be honest, when I heard the whistle go, I thought he was going to give them an indirect for obstruction, that would have been bad enough imo.

Steven Taylor in 2009? Similarly bad refereeing

Mbemba done similar to Fletcher in the second half in the corner (Fletcher comically trying to header the ball), nothing was given for that.  Same as Lascelles has a similar incident even later in the game.

Guest Roger Kint

Mbemba done similar to Fletcher in the second half in the corner (Fletcher comically trying to header the ball), nothing was given for that.  Same as Lascelles has a similar incident even later in the game.

Rooneys a few hours later was the worst of the lot

Our 'captain' has been a liability for a couple of seasons now, really sad to see as he was an excellent defender in his day. Giving him a new contract was one of the worst pieces of transfer business this club as ever done imho, and that's saying something.

Was a penalty for me, but never a red. On the plus side, he'll get to spend a couple of extra days playing with his rabbit.

Colo could literally walk off the field 20 minutes into a game in order to catch a flight to Argentina and Paully would still come out with the old 'playing really well until' spiel. Embarrassing.

So he wasn't playing well until the penalty incident?

Richard Keys just tweeted that we have won the appeal.

I still don't think it was even a foul never mind a red card - if that was given against me in the middle of the park then I'd go nuts with the ref never mind in the box - absolutely s*** decision

Richard Keys just tweeted that we have won the appeal.

I still don't think it was even foul never mind a red card - if that was given against me then I'd go nuts with the ref - absolutely s*** decision

Yep totally agree

Goes without saying. Shocking decision from the ref.

Makes sense. Shame though. But appealing was always the right thing to do.

I thought we had no chance. If there's any debate they usually back the ref.

Pretty much no one in football thought it was a red apart from Madley and Andy Gray.

Goes without saying. Shocking decision from the ref.

Makes sense. Shame though. But appealing was always the right thing to do.

I thought we had no chance. If there's any debate they usually back the ref.

Pretty much no one in football thought it was a red apart from Madley and Andy Gray.

Apart from everyone on Sky Sports' coverage which is why I expected us to have no chance.

Maybe it's time to have a fucking sideline review of straight red cards or something to make sure these aren't massively destroying matches. Refs need to be held accountable for gaffs like this.

Very surprised tbh.

Not sure why people are surprised. It was fairly obvious especially after actually reading the rules TCD posted on here.

As I mentioned previously, the FA usually go with the ref unless public opinion - as decided by whatever moron happens to be in the SkySports/MoTD studio (think Souness/Robbie Savage etc) - vehemently disagrees.

Actually re-examining an incident on its merits is the surprise for me!

Very surprised tbh.

Not sure why people are surprised. It was fairly obvious especially after actually reading the rules TCD posted on here.

As I mentioned previously, the FA usually go with the ref unless public opinion - as decided by whatever moron happens to be in the SkySports/MoTD studio (think Souness/Robbie Savage etc) - vehemently disagrees.

Actually re-examining an incident on its merits is the surprise for me!

Usually there's a lot of subjectivity that goes with the decisions, and they're usually revolving around serious foul play or intent to injure, spit or no spit, etc.. This was more cut and dry and all they had to do was take out the rule book and see a couple of replays.