Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Santon was at fault for the goal. He was nowhere near Giroud when he makes the header. Kind of hope Krul could do better too.

Santon was marking Giroud? Really?

Looked like it to me. Of course you can blame it on Colo if you want as he's shite player/captain.

Santon was at fault for the goal. He was nowhere near Giroud when he makes the header. Kind of hope Krul could do better too.

Looked like it to me. Of course you can blame it on Colo if you want as he's shite player/captain.

Nobody said he was a shite player, but nice try.

Fucking ridiculous if Santon was marking Giroud, by the way. Beyond a joke.

Looked like it to me. Of course you can blame it on Colo if you want as he's s**** player/captain.

Nobody said he was a s**** player, but nice try.

f***ing ridiculous if Santon was marking Giroud, by the way. Beyond a joke.

Not exactly those words but you had written him off few weeks ago. He's been decent lately considering we couldn't afford to play him against most strikers in the league.

Aye - obviously we don't know what the instructions were but as they lined up to defend the free kick it looked to me like Giroud was Santon's man.

Willo was marking Mertesaker. Giroud was in between Colo and Santon and neither took any responsibility. I think Santon as the man behind Giroud was in the better position to defend but I'd also question Colo's leadership in that situation.

It was a good free kick but terrible that no defender got within a foot of Giroud and he was just able to stroll on to the ball. If Willo had been one of the defenders he'd have grabbed hold of Giroud and stuck to him like a limpet. It's what street-wise defenders do and with the pair of them being so close it's difficult for a ref to work out who's doing what.

It was always inevitable that as soon as a goal gets scored and Willo is within five yards of the situation, that he's going to get the blame. But in reality he was trying to clear up other people's mess.

Willo was marking Mertesaker. Giroud was in between Colo and Santon and neither took any responsibility. I think Santon as the man behind Giroud was in the better position to defend but I'd also question Colo's leadership in that situation.

:thup: Aye, either Santon's lost his man or Colo never had him in the first place - not great either way.

First things first and Williamson was marking Mertesacker, and should be. Tallest versus tallest and all that. The rest was pretty poor setup in such a defensive setup. To me it looked like Coloccini was marking giroud, but it looked like it was zonal aswell. Colos gesture after the goal made it look like he was not to blame about it but I don't really know, think he was the closest one, and it made sense that it was him. Mostly because, who else was he marking?

I've just had a look at it again and the only place where it looks zonal is around Giroud because neither Colo nor Santon were dealing with him. The other three attackers in the line were all being marked.

I wasn't a defender but to me it makes no sense to go zonal when the ball's going to be played in behind you like that.