Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Poor for the second and third goals but he's certainly been better recently. Still a big weakness in our team, though.

At times he has far too much to do because of others and he ends up looking bad because he's trying to cover too much ground.

exactly. where was Janmaat for the 2nd goal????

Caught out of position, he basically gave up trying to get back because he knew he had no chance.

For the 2nd, Colo finally has backup, yet he just decides to ignore Lingarrd's run. Definitely partly to blame. It was mostly Dummett's pass to Rooney for the 3rd mind :lol:

I'm probably being a bit harsh but on the replay Rooney's strike for the third was heading straight for Colo's dish and I'm sure he moved his head away. If that was Steven Taylor he'd have took that full pelt in the face like a proper geordie lad and we've have went on to draw 2-2 maybe.

The 2nd was massively Mbembas fault. Gave the ball away from a ridiculous position, then jogged back in slow motion and let Lingaard run right past him.

Colo did average, but hard to mark rooney and then a passing runner aswell. No idea why he didnt read that Rooney would take it onto his stronger foot before the pass though. Still he had a superb game beyond that tbh

His 30 yarder looked extremely close in the ground! De Gea looked well beaten - fantastic technique!

Looked very close on the replays too, just swerved a bit towards the end. Reminded me of Jonas' goal few years back.

The ball he played for sissoko's chance is great watching back

His passing was always good, and maybe our passing is just so shit now, but he seems to be playing more advanced attack-minded/starting passes as of late. I always thought he should be doing more of that. But you're right, the Sissoko ball and the Mitrovic ones were beautiful.

Guest neesy111

Rio Ferdinand got it spot on about him.  He only looks good when he's making last ditch tackles, blocks etc when he's recovering from his own mistakes in positioning, marking etc.

Was a definite, obvious move to play through him the other night. He did well at it, his passing etc has always been good. Was worrying when he often seemed to be about 40 yards from Mbemba.

Yeah it was a good job Tiote was there because some of the time Tiote was having to drop so deep to cover the massive gap between them we looked like we were playing 352.

Was a definite, obvious move to play through him the other night. He did well at it, his passing etc has always been good. Was worrying when he often seemed to be about 40 yards from Mbemba.

Yeah it was a good job Tiote was there because some of the time Tiote was having to drop so deep to cover the massive gap between them we looked like we were playing 352.

Lots of teams do that now.  Full backs have to be able to play a bit and are more important than a lot of people give them credit for.  The full backs push up, the centre backs split and the holding mid drops a bit deeper in the gap.  We've done it loads this season, with good and bad results.  A lot of teams do it, it's nowt to worry about IMO.  Doesn't work that well with Dummett, mind.  Janmaat basically plays as a wing back every game. 

What was worrying, was Mbemba going on his mad runs.  I like it when he does it.  But Colo also likes to go forward with the ball.  Plus he breaks rank to go and press higher up the pitch and in wide areas.  So with Mbemba now keen to break forward, as well.  It means we end up being really disjointed.  Our back 4 is all over the show at times  :lol:

Lots of teams do that now.  Full backs have to be able to play a bit and are more important than a lot of people give them credit for.  The full backs push up, the centre backs split and the holding mid drops a bit deeper in the gap.  We've done it loads this season, with good and bad results.  A lot of teams do it, it's nowt to worry about IMO.  Doesn't work that well with Dummett, mind.  Janmaat basically plays as a wing back every game. 

What was worrying, was Mbemba going on his mad runs.  I like it when he does it.  But Colo also likes to go forward with the ball.  Plus he breaks rank to go and press higher up the pitch and in wide areas.  So with Mbemba now keen to break forward, as well.  It means we end up being really disjointed.  Our back 4 is all over the show at times  :lol:

Yeah I know and it's fair enough when Tiote is dropping to fill in.  Alot of our bother this season has been that previously it's been Anita or Colback.

I don't think Anita was that bad at doing it.  There have been times when Anita has done it needlessly, though.  Like there is no need for him to be dropping deep and just taking away another forward pass option, from the defence.  Colback just hides and passes sideways for most of the game.  I hadn't even noticed he did this as well!

Those of us old enough to remember when being in and out of the relegation zone wasn't acceptable saw a better one, like.

I think Colo had a longer, more consistent period at his best that was close to or as good as Woodgate's spell for us, so would personally pick the Colo that saw us to 5th in the league... just.