Light in goals and thin in defence

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest thenorthumbrian

The players we have at the club who we expect to carry a threat have a poor goalscoring record (excluding the injury prone Ba).

Check out Ben Arfa, Marveaux, and Cabaye's record, very average.

Our two best scorers were shown the door.

And we are very thin on the ground as far as defenders are concerned.

If we do not sign two more decent defenders and two more strikers this squad is only 2 or 3 injuries away from a relegation fight.     

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

The players we have at the club who we expect to carry a threat have a poor goalscoring record (excluding the injury prone Ba).

If we do not sign two more decent defenders and two more strikers this squad is only 2 or 3 injuries away from a relegation fight.     

Is Ba really injury prone?

Our two best scorers were shown the door handed in transfer requests and turned down new contracts in order to bag more £££ elsewhere.

FYP.

Is Ba really injury prone?

His injury record isn't as bad as some people have been making out.

What is concerning is the fact he failed medicals at West Ham, Stoke (where Pulis described his knee as a 'ticking timebomb') and as I personally believe, here...

:sleepy2:

i'm sure i read somewhere that his knee situation is that he suffers from a degenerative condition, which he's taking medication to supress.

can't remember where i read it so it might be bollocks

Ugh, hope that isn't true.

Post 1 January - Only 4 goals were scored between Nolan and Carrol - We survived just fine. Now add all those players and we are more than fine. Then add the strikers we are OBVIOUSLY looking for, and we are more than more than fine.

Fucking hell.

With the exception of perhaps 2-3 clubs in this division, or anywhere else for that matter, everyone is 2 or 3 injuries away from not being able to achieve their start of season expectations.

If a top 4 team lost 2 or 3 key players they'd struggle to maintain a title challenge, if a team expecting to achieve a Europa League place lost 2 or 3 key players they'd struggle to achieve a top 7 place.

If we're aiming for top 10 and we get 2 or 3 injuries to our key players (for arguments sake Tiote/Ben Arfa/Colo) then maybe we'd struggle to achieve top 10 and be involved in a bit of a scrap. It's nothing to do with lack of incoming transfers (despite the fact there's still 6 weeks or so of the window left), it's football.

Post 1 January - Only 4 goals were scored between Nolan and Carrol - We survived just fine. Now add all those players and we are more than fine. Then add the strikers we are OBVIOUSLY looking for, and we are more than more than fine.

I like the Panda.

The 3 players you mentioned all have history of scoring around the same amount Nolan did last season & their highest goalscoring seasons are much more recent than nolans was when he joined us.

If we play well as a side, im sure theyll have the ability to find the net. Do you really believe ben arfa's awareness of the goal & ability to find it is lesser than Nolans? its all about how we play them.

While at the same time if they all stay fit and we add another striker that's a top 8 side imo.

Yep. There's still another striker to come in assuming Pardew isn't bullshitting, so if that happens our attacking options will be better that the route one combo of Carroll and Nolan.

Guest elbee909

i'm sure i read somewhere that his knee situation is that he suffers from a degenerative condition, which he's taking medication to supress.

can't remember where i read it so it might be bollocks

Ugh, hope that isn't true.

Ah, the Kieron Dyer disease.

Saying all our goals are gone because Carroll and Nolan have left is woefully simplistic.

Carroll is a blow, but it's reasonable to expect that without the immobile Nolan in the team we will be a much more rapid and fluid attacking force. And with a striker expected to arrive we'll be significantly better up front than we were post-Carroll.

TBH, Ba is probably a better finisher than Carroll as well, though obviously not necessarily a "better player". He has also been less injured than Carroll in recent times.

I'm not saying we'll suddenly tear everyone apart, but there are as many reasons to be optimistic as not IMO.

Our midfield looks awesome and we've got 2 top keeper prospects, reasons to be cheerful IMO

We could do with 1 defender and 1 striker, and obviously this isn't factoring in any potential sales (especially in the defence).

So in whole, I'm pretty positive about the squad right now. We've got enough players to not have to rush in any signings, take our time and get in the right men. I would definitely like our squad settled ASAP, but I'm fine, as long as signings actually happen at some point this window, which is obviously far from certain.

Didnt Man nited lose Ronaldo and Tevez and went on to win the league?

With arguably the second best team in the world. We do not have players of that level, and in terms of the teams that will be challenging for a top seven spot, our squad is fairly average.

Didnt Man nited lose Ronaldo and Tevez and went on to win the league?

With arguably the second best team in the world. We do not have players of that level, and in terms of the teams that will be challenging for a top seven spot, our squad is fairly average.

Was making the point, that life goes on after losing players.