Light in goals and thin in defence

Guest thenorthumbrian

, Colo never gets injured

I hope you're not tempting fate with that comment.

As for Tavernier I hope that if /when Enrique goes I hope that he won't be put in the team and expected to cope straight away.

Most young players should be gradually introduced.

Remember Tavernier was playing Blue Square football on loan last season  with Gateshead FC and its a big leap from that to the premiership.

Well aye, he's a right-back though.

But Tavernier did provide cover on both sides in the pre season tour.

He's hardly going to become our first-choice left-back if Jose leaves though is he? That's the bit I was surprised by.

He's shown some good promise again in these pre-season games and I do think they'll try and do as you suggest and ease him in gradually.

So where will our goals come from this season? When Nolan left there was the prospect of Zog arriving who would get his share. Once we decided he wasn't for us, Barnetta seemed a good choice as he also has looks like a player who finds the net regularly. Cabaye, Marveaux and Obertan might be fine players but I'm not sure any of them are goal getters and it seems we are going to be relying a lot on the forwards to get the goals this season. A legitemate concern?

Just been reading the ESPN article on Ashley and apparently Cabaye gets a few goals as well. Not sure if that's through dead ball situations or free play but I suppose they all count.

I'm extremely confident we'll get a striker in but whether he's a good enough striker is another issue. Chances are he'll see lots of game time so we'll find out soon enough.

You should know from the Obertan thread that it's now so late that if you think he's not good enough you'll be criticised for never being satisfied. :thup:

Just been reading the ESPN article on Ashley and apparently Cabaye gets a few goals as well. Not sure if that's through dead ball situations or free play but I suppose they all count.

I heard a discussion about Cabaye on the radio with one of the French journalists when he first joined us and remember them saying that the season before last he scored quite a few goals and they compared him to Lampard but that last season, he was played further back and so scored far fewer goals.

Lots of unknowns going into the season, but hopefully it will click reasonably well. Things looked grim when Hughton got booted out and Carroll was sold, but we saw the season out quite comfortably, making the final WBA capitulation all the more wasteful and irritating.

Looking forward to HBA most of all.

If we sign Obertan, we are well stocked in midfield (if Barton stays)

I think its nailed on Ben Arfa will be played up top with Ba, so get another striker in, Ba, Ben Arfa and new.  Things really arent looking too shabby.

If Jose goes we definitely need to replace him, we could do with another CB as well.

I'm fairly sure we'll replace Jose, as daft as they are, I dont think they are THAT daft.

If we sign a centre half, he is going to be young, maybe a championship player. Cant see it happening though.

I'm extremely confident we'll get a striker in but whether he's a good enough striker is another issue. Chances are he'll see lots of game time so we'll find out soon enough.

You should know from the Obertan thread that it's now so late that if you think he's not good enough you'll be criticised for never being satisfied. :thup:

:lol:

fair do's dave, i have to say though that if we'd signed him at the start of the summer i'd have been equally as positive, but maybe thats just because i think he looks a good prospect

If Jose goes we definitely need to replace him, we could do with another CB as well.

I'm fairly sure we'll replace Jose, as daft as they are, I dont think they are THAT daft.

If we sign a centre half, he is going to be young, maybe a championship player. Cant see it happening though.

we certainly need another centre half imo, ideally who can play right back as well. taylor can fill in at right back but then you're talking kids at centre half if williamson or colo get injured

I can easily see us scoring as many (56) as we did last year.  Not sure how/why anyone can genuinely ask "where are the goals going to come from". Ba, Best, ShAmeobi, Sameobi, Lovenkrands, Ranger, Cabaye, HBA, Marv, Barton, Jonas, Raylor, Gosling, Abeid, Guthrie, Tiote.  Obviously.  Throw in Saylor and Coloccini maybe heading in 4 or 5 between them and why is this even a question?

Since the summer of 2008, we have only signed two first-team players (Tiote and Lovenkrands) that weren't based in England or France.

Scouts afraid of flying?

That doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense. :lol:

I can easily see us scoring as many (56) as we did last year.  Not sure how/why anyone can genuinely ask "where are the goals going to come from". Ba, Best, ShAmeobi, Sameobi, Lovenkrands, Ranger, Cabaye, HBA, Marv, Barton, Jonas, Raylor, Gosling, Abeid, Guthrie, Tiote.  Obviously.  Throw in Saylor and Coloccini maybe heading in 4 or 5 between them and why is this even a question?

Maybe it's because I haven't seen Cabaye and Marveaux yet I ask the question, tbf they both might be good for a few. I always think you need midfielders to be chipping in with a fair share of goals, and with Obertan another unknown quantity I have to admit I was getting a bit green when I heard Lua Lua scored a cracker against Spurs last week :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thenorthumbrian

Maybe it's because I haven't seen Cabaye and Marveaux yet I ask the question, tbf they both might be good for a few. I always think you need midfielders to be chipping in with a fair share of goals, and with Obertan another unknown quantity I have to admit I was getting a bit green when I heard Lua Lua scored a cracker against Spurs last week :lol:

The fundamental weakness in the squad has not been addressed in the transfer window. no doubt there would have beem some people around here who were deluded enough to think it would happen.

Guest Rainforest

Since the summer of 2008, we have only signed two first-team players (Tiote and Lovenkrands) that weren't based in England or France.

Scouts afraid of flying?

That doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense. :lol:

I had to wrap my head around that one for a few secs, but it DOES make sense :lol: