La Liga

Village Idiot

Apparently it's indeed but a flesh wound. People were fearing there might be ligament damage since he couldn't even walk... he'll probably still miss the Valencia game (sigh) but at least it's not another long term injury to add to our loooooong list.

Yesterday we played well, although we almost were left to rue our lots of missed chances. But at least we are creating them unlike against Villarreal.

Tello was great, paciest player I have seen in our shirt since Eto'o's prime and a change from the cliché Barça player. Very direct. And Thiago really has managed to mitigate my fears about Xavi retiring. So at least the future's bright.

Somehow, Messi still managed to score and assist a goal despite having a very indifferent game.

Decent game last night VI!

What's up with Soldado at the moment?

Aye, thought it was a very entertaining game myself, and the first good performance from us since the New Year. Atmosphere at the stadium was better than usual too, despite the cold.

Soldado missed the game due to illness, but he is in a bad patch right now and Valencia are feeling it. Their league form has been quite indifferent since January. They depend massively on him.

Now there's talk that the final might be played at the Camp Nou. Real Madrid have refused to lend the Bernabéu, and Athletic want to bring all their fans, which would only be possible in a 80k+ stadium (with a 50/50 ticket split). I doubt the FA would sanction it though.

Aye, thought it was a very entertaining game myself, and the first good performance from us since the New Year. Atmosphere at the stadium was better than usual too, despite the cold.

Soldado missed the game due to illness, but he is in a bad patch right now and Valencia are feeling it. Their league form has been quite indifferent since January. They depend massively on him.

Now there's talk that the final might be played at the Camp Nou. Real Madrid have refused to lend the Bernabéu, and Athletic want to bring all their fans, which would only be possible in a 80k+ stadium (with a 50/50 ticket split). I doubt the FA would sanction it though.

Bugger about Soldado, he's the main man at Valencia...a bit like our Ba!

I heard the Mestella was going to be the venue?  Neutral ground and all that.  I know it's not the biggest but it would make sense.  I doubt Barca and Althletic would enjoy playing in the capital given political reasons. 

I heard the Mestella was going to be the venue?  Neutral ground and all that.  I know it's not the biggest but it would make sense.  I doubt Barca and Althletic would enjoy playing in the capital given political reasons

We both would enjoy it greatly. I think the problem is that we would enjoy a bit too much :lol:

It's probably going to be Mestalla, but they have hosted the final 2 times in 3 years already.

I heard the Mestella was going to be the venue?  Neutral ground and all that.  I know it's not the biggest but it would make sense.  I doubt Barca and Althletic would enjoy playing in the capital given political reasons

We both would enjoy it greatly. I think the problem is that we would enjoy a bit too much :lol:

It's probably going to be Mestalla, but they have hosted the final 2 times in 3 years already.

Haha aye, I'm guessing it would end up in mass street parties and chaos on the streets of the capital. :)  Not sure they'd be too happy.

Well...if RM and you lot keep getting to the finals...it's the only other central w/easy access, neautral place really...it's about equal distance between Madrid and Barca isnt it?

Sorry for the amount of interest, just with the parents living in Valencia region they're my adopted team. :)

Yeah, they're sort of equal distance from Madrid and Barcelona. I hope that Athletic/Atlético build their new venues soon, it would give us more options. Mestalla is the only viable option size-wise, as the Calderón doesn't have the level of VIP/hosting facilities required for a final, and the Sevilla stadiums are usually too far for teams in the north.

Yeah fingers crossed, but with current climate in Spain I'd imagine it's difficult for them to commit to new stadium and will be cautious due to the Nou Mestalla fiasco.

Just out of curiosity, when are the fixture lists normally announced?

Yeah fingers crossed, but with current climate in Spain I'd imagine it's difficult for them to commit to new stadium and will be cautious due to the Nou Mestalla fiasco.

Nou Mestalla will be going forward, they *must* sell Mestalla in order to save themselves (they closed a deal a couple months ago for it), and they need some place to play. I think the worst for Valencia is over, and if the Mestalla/Nou Mestalla transition doesn't hit another hiccup they will be looking up.

They really should put a statue to Villa/Silva/Mata at the door of the new stadium. Those sales saved the club.

As for fixture lists, what do you mean? La Liga's? They are usually announced mid-july.

Apparently it's indeed but a flesh wound. People were fearing there might be ligament damage since he couldn't even walk... he'll probably still miss the Valencia game (sigh) but at least it's not another long term injury to add to our loooooong list.

Yesterday we played well, although we almost were left to rue our lots of missed chances. But at least we are creating them unlike against Villarreal.

Tello was great, paciest player I have seen in our shirt since Eto'o's prime and a change from the cliché Barça player. Very direct. And Thiago really has managed to mitigate my fears about Xavi retiring. So at least the future's bright.

Somehow, Messi still managed to score and assist a goal despite having a very indifferent game.

Was at that game... Valdes made 2 big saves and thought Real played well and with a little more belief could of knicked something... Any chance you can explain why the ground was only half full?... Surely not the poor weather?

Nou Mestalla will be going forward, they *must* sell Mestalla in order to save themselves (they closed a deal a couple months ago for it), and they need some place to play. I think the worst for Valencia is over, and if the Mestalla/Nou Mestalla transition doesn't hit another hiccup they will be looking up.

They really should put a statue to Villa/Silva/Mata at the door of the new stadium. Those sales saved the club.

As for fixture lists, what do you mean? La Liga's? They are usually announced mid-july.

Aye I read about the Mestalla stuff in Fourfourtwo a while back...I just mean others will be siding on caution about selling land, basically speculating before accumulating which is the risk Valencia took.

Yeah La Liga's fixtures.  Mainly as me and my mate are thinking of heading over to my parents and then going to a Valencia game Sept/Oct time...just a weekend or so.

In your opinion, how would a local supporters club be with a couple of english lads wanting to tag along on a supporters bus for a game?

Aye I read about the Mestalla stuff in Fourfourtwo a while back...I just mean others will be siding on caution about selling land, basically speculating before accumulating which is the risk Valencia took.

Yeah La Liga's fixtures.  Mainly as me and my mate are thinking of heading over to my parents and then going to a Valencia game Sept/Oct time...just a weekend or so.

In your opinion, how would a local supporters club be with a couple of english lads wanting to tag along on a supporters bus for a game?

the real madrid ultras were welcoming, but my mate knew them (and i'm sure the ones we were with weren't the 100% crazy people)

Was at that game... Valdes made 2 big saves and thought Real played well and with a little more belief could of knicked something... Any chance you can explain why the ground was only half full?... Surely not the poor weather?

It was the coldest night in Barcelona since records are kept. Yes, I know, you northerners laugh at what we soft latinos think as "cold". But since the game was on free TV, it was easier to keep warm at home.

the real madrid ultras were welcoming, but my mate knew them (and i'm sure the ones we were with weren't the 100% crazy people)

Supporter clubs in Spain are usually very welcoming, I don't think he'll have any problem. Foreign fans are also an exotic sight for a team not called Barcelona or Madrid.

Supporter clubs in Spain are usually very welcoming, I don't think he'll have any problem. Foreign fans are also an exotic sight for a team not called Barcelona or Madrid.

Sweet.

I don't habla espanol...well un poco but such a small amount it's not really worth pretending to do so :)

I think we'll be fine, the town where we'd be going from is friendly enough. 

Sweet.

I don't habla espanol...well un poco but such a small amount it's not really worth pretending to do so :)

I think we'll be fine, the town where we'd be going from is friendly enough. 

Most Spaniards don't speak English, so that will make it even more fun.

mm yeh I was actually surprised by how many people didnt have a clue. guess its fair enough given how widely spoken spanish, like us they dont really need to learn a 2nd language

English was introduced in our schools in the 1980s (before that French was the foreign language taught in Spanish schools), but the teaching is not comprehensive at all, and without native teachers, etc... I always had the impression of learning the same basic things every year, without raising the bar to get to the level of having a functional knowledge of the language. I had to learn it the hard way, living abroad.

They are always talking about improving English teaching but never get around to do squat.

English was introduced in our schools in the 1980s (before that French was the foreign language taught in Spanish schools), but the teaching is not comprehensive at all, and without native teachers, etc... I always had the impression of learning the same basic things every year, without raising the bar to get to the level of having a functional knowledge of the language. I had to learn it the hard way, living abroad.

They are always talking about improving English teaching but never get around to do squat.

I'd say that's the easiest way

i went to a french school in london til I was 13 so basically educated in french, they taught english as a foreign language really well (obviously as the school is in london you would expect that). then going to an english school, french was taught quite poorly, most not native speakers

im planning on just teaching myself a lot of spanish, then 3.5 months in south america will hopefully nail that home. how different will it be in south america compared to me just learning spanish words? is it just the dialect that is different?

:nods: forget the odd word here n there as I've barely spoken in 3/4 years since leaving school, but yeh I can pretend I'm french if I want, accent perfect. that benefit makes up for being taught science in french :scared: