La Liga

Village Idiot

English was introduced in our schools in the 1980s (before that French was the foreign language taught in Spanish schools), but the teaching is not comprehensive at all, and without native teachers, etc... I always had the impression of learning the same basic things every year, without raising the bar to get to the level of having a functional knowledge of the language. I had to learn it the hard way, living abroad.

They are always talking about improving English teaching but never get around to do squat.

I'd say that's the easiest way

i went to a french school in london til I was 13 so basically educated in french, they taught english as a foreign language really well (obviously as the school is in london you would expect that). then going to an english school, french was taught quite poorly, most not native speakers

im planning on just teaching myself a lot of spanish, then 3.5 months in south america will hopefully nail that home. how different will it be in south america compared to me just learning spanish words? is it just the dialect that is different?

Grammar, etc... is mostly the same, they just use a different lexicon. It's mutually understandable, but there's the odd faux pas (the word we use in the peninsula for "take" is the same in Mexico for "f***").

And you are right regarding this being the best way to learn a language. I really want to learn something else apart from English but can't see me living outside the Spanish/anglosaxon world at the moment.

I'm part French, my mother speaks French and wanted to take me to a French school when I was a kid but ultimately decided against it since it was far from where we lived. I really should learn French, but learning another Latin language (I speak Catalan and Spanish already) feels a bit like a waste.

mm it was pretty horrendous, given I was going back to english parents whereas most to french, I didnt have a fucking clue what was going on in science. history was boring as fuck as well. ancient french history, never again

Apparently it's indeed but a flesh wound. People were fearing there might be ligament damage since he couldn't even walk... he'll probably still miss the Valencia game (sigh) but at least it's not another long term injury to add to our loooooong list.

Yesterday we played well, although we almost were left to rue our lots of missed chances. But at least we are creating them unlike against Villarreal.

Tello was great, paciest player I have seen in our shirt since Eto'o's prime and a change from the cliché Barça player. Very direct. And Thiago really has managed to mitigate my fears about Xavi retiring. So at least the future's bright.

Somehow, Messi still managed to score and assist a goal despite having a very indifferent game.

Was at that game... Valdes made 2 big saves and thought Real played well and with a little more belief could of knicked something... Any chance you can explain why the ground was only half full?... Surely not the poor weather?

It was the coldest night in Barcelona since records are kept. Yes, I know, you northerners laugh at what we soft latinos think as "cold". But since the game was on free TV, it was easier to keep warm at home.

I take it weather has the biggest effect on your attendances or was it the Free View? Got a surprise with the fluctuation of your attendances this season after just checking them... 30k down is a lot... is Real Madrid the same?..

Apparently it's indeed but a flesh wound. People were fearing there might be ligament damage since he couldn't even walk... he'll probably still miss the Valencia game (sigh) but at least it's not another long term injury to add to our loooooong list.

Yesterday we played well, although we almost were left to rue our lots of missed chances. But at least we are creating them unlike against Villarreal.

Tello was great, paciest player I have seen in our shirt since Eto'o's prime and a change from the cliché Barça player. Very direct. And Thiago really has managed to mitigate my fears about Xavi retiring. So at least the future's bright.

Somehow, Messi still managed to score and assist a goal despite having a very indifferent game.

Was at that game... Valdes made 2 big saves and thought Real played well and with a little more belief could of knicked something... Any chance you can explain why the ground was only half full?... Surely not the poor weather?

It was the coldest night in Barcelona since records are kept. Yes, I know, you northerners laugh at what we soft latinos think as "cold". But since the game was on free TV, it was easier to keep warm at home.

I take it weather has the biggest effect on your attendances or was it the Free View? Got a surprise with the fluctuation of your attendances this season after just checking them... 30k down is a lot... is Real Madrid the same?..

Our average is pretty high this season 85k-ish IIRC. I think it was all things combined: free view with record low temperatures against a not very glamourous rival = lowest attendance this season.

Dunno about Real Madrid, they usually average less than us.

Thought Barca last weekend were the poorest I've seen them for months. I know, I know they're allowed an off day or 2, and yes, they weren't full strength. But I hadn't seen so many good situations wasted by Barca in ages. Didn't look urgent and Sociedad would have gone out of that much annoyed they didn't get something.

Thought Barca last weekend were the poorest I've seen them for months. I know, I know they're allowed an off day or 2, and yes, they weren't full strength. But I hadn't seen so many good situations wasted by Barca in ages. Didn't look urgent and Sociedad would have gone out of that much annoyed they didn't get something.

You didn't watch us against Villarreal then. That's the worst Barça game I have ever seen since Pep took charge.

I think we were alright against Real Sociedad, had we took our chances we would have been out of sight by half time, with a team that started 3 Barça B players due to the massive amount of injuries we have at the moment.

Racing Santander seems headed to oblivion. The trial to wrestle off control from Ali Sayed (supposed sugar daddy that ended up being a fraud), won't be celebrated until 2013, with the club currently in administration and with a deadline of June 30th to name a board or face a windup order.

Racing Santander seems headed to oblivion. The trial to wrestle off control from Ali Sayed (supposed sugar daddy that ended up being a fraud), won't be celebrated until 2013, with the club currently in administration and with a deadline of June 30th to name a board or face a windup order.

What will happen? Will they cease to exist or reform doing the leagues?

Gijon aside (and even they've been woeful this season) football seems to have gone to shit in the NW of Spain.

What will happen? Will they cease to exist or reform doing the leagues?

Gijon aside (and even they've been woeful this season) football seems to have gone to s*** in the NW of Spain.

If they are able to paper the cracks regarding the wind up order, they still have until June 30th to get out of administration or face relegation to Segunda B. Given the current ownership state it is very unlikely anybody would want to invest in the club at this point, though, and the local/regional authorities already have skin in the game and are unlikely to come in for more given the situation of public finances.

Racing have been grossly mismanaged for many years, they were the club with the highest debt-to-turnover ratio in La Liga, and it was due to implode at some point. I feel sorry for the fans, they have been lied and deceived constantly a long string of owners that make the guy at Pompey look like Warren Buffet.

I'm confident Depor will be straight up this year, so that's something. Hope Sporting stay up too, always have had a soft spot for them.

Do we still call Barca the best side in the world when they are trailing the league leaders by more points than any other second placed teams in the five major leagues? If they fail to win the CL this year, then the constant shrining should end.

Better put your tin hat on,you're gonna get a hammering for even daring to question the credentials of the (not so) invincible team of the century Barcelona!

Do we still call Barca the best side in the world when they are trailing the league leaders by more points than any other second placed teams in the five major leagues? If they fail to win the CL this year, then the constant shrining should end.

Better put your tin hat on,you're gonna get a hammering for even daring to question the credentials of the (not so) invincible team of the century Barcelona!

Or, appreciate Real Madrid's sensational season for what it is.

Still, this Barcelona team of the past few years is still the greatest club team I've seen in my lifetime.

So after 3 years of smacking everyone in their path, they now have a season where they're not at their best. That doesn't negate anything they did in the past 3 years. Their run, which isn't over by any means, is the greatest of any club side ever. They were the invincible team of the century, like it or not. Maybe not now, but for the past 3 years, of course.

If they win the CL this season and the cup, and Madrid win the league, who will have had the better season? Barca, I say.

Real Madrid are an absolutely unbelievable team, I don't think there's ever been two teams that are so good playing at the same time, if Barca don't win the CL this season then Real will, yet Barca beat Real time and time again because they're just that little bit better.

It's sad that some people have been waiting ages for Barca to fail to win a major trophy as if it somehow makes them a worse team. :lol: