La Liga

Village Idiot

Team of the century so far presumably.  Which they are, by a f***ing mile at club level.  Only other close contender is the current Spain team imo as it happens.

alpal your constant chelping at Barca is laughable, what's the deal? Kid who beat you up at school wore a Romario shirt or something?

That's mature, so you're not allowed to question the mighty Barcelona on a forum even though none of the fan boys can really say what team of the century means...ok, just as I thought :rolleyes:

Team of the century so far presumably.  Which they are, by a f***ing mile at club level.  Only other close contender is the current Spain team imo as it happens.

alpal your constant chelping at Barca is laughable, what's the deal? Kid who beat you up at school wore a Romario shirt or something?

That's mature, so you're not allowed to question the mighty Barcelona on a forum even though none of the fan boys can really say what team of the century means...ok, just as I thought :rolleyes:

never said anything of the sort, and i've just quantified the only meaning team of the century can have haven't i?  now go about trying to tell me why they're not

never said anything of the sort, and i've just quantified the only meaning team of the century can have haven't i?  now go about trying to tell me why they're not

You didn't need to say it but bringing the discussion to personal insult proves my point. It was immature and unnecessary. 

To be fair to you, ya you did try to quantify the meaning of "team of the century", that's a very loose definition though given that we're only 12 years into the century and once again highlight the hyperbole and over-hype of Barcelona. At best they are the best team of the century, so far. It's not my job to prove that they are not, if you wanna give them a title, then you should be the one to prove why they deserve it.

To see more examples of over-hyping Barcelona, just see Pip's and Neesy's posts above on "best team ever". These two probably have not seen football for more than 40 years and with scant respect to the great teams of the past, just throw away such accolades to Barcelona just based on their success over the lst 8-10 years. If anything such extreme positions devalues the praise that Barcelona get (when given in moderation which they rightly deserve). For record sake, I have not watched football for 40 years either, which is why I would not use labels such as "team of the century" or "best team ever" until I've gone through the history books. 

I do agree that calling them the best ever is a bit daft, there's pretty much nobody on the planet qualified to give an opinion on that.

Best I've seen though, and no other teams since the turn of the century can realistically compare. The last three years they've won two Champions League titles and three domestic titles playing some wonderful technical football and scoring marvelous goal after marvelous goal.

Madrid are the only other team to win the CL twice in three years since the turn of the century, and they were nowhere near as good in the league in that period as Barca have been.

Messi just notched his 40th league goal of the season.

143rd league goal in 200 league games.

At the risk of being called all sorts of names, Ronaldo's record for comparison stands at 28 goals in 23 league games. Over three seasons at Madrid, he is at 94 goals in 86 league games, that's a ratio of more than 1 goal per game over 3 seasons!

At the risk of being called all sorts of names, Ronaldo's record for comparison stands at 28 goals in 23 league games. Over three seasons at Madrid, he is at 94 goals in 86 league games, that's a ratio of more than 1 goal per game over 3 seasons!

What about assists?

what a fucking shock :lol:

no-one, no-one i've ever met or read an article from believes ronaldo is in the same league as messi but i KNEW you'd pipe up...ronaldo is a flat track bully, nothing more...yeah they'll win the league and he'll be top scorer, he'll NEVER be better than messi

Incidentally Messi is just 13 goals away of becoming our all time top goalscorer, at age 24. Nuts.

And say what you will, Messi brings much more stuff to the football pitch than Cronaldo. I can easily see him dropping into a playmaker/Zidane-ish role and still be ridiculously good when he ages and loses athleticism.

Incidentally Messi is just 13 goals away of becoming our all time top goalscorer, at age 24. Nuts.

And say what you will, Messi brings much more stuff to the football pitch than Cronaldo. I can easily see him dropping into a playmaker role and still be ridiculously good when he ages and loses speed/explosiveness.

but, but, but...messi is only good 'cause he's never played in anything other than good teams...unlike cronaldo ??? /alpal

Penaldo just scores pens and tap ins these days. 10 pens in the league this season, give them to Benzema or Higuain instead and they'd be comfortably Madrid's top scorer.

At least Zlatan who's been banging away Zenalties all season wins them through his own skill, Cron gets them handed to him by his teammates.

And say what you will, Messi brings much more stuff to the football pitch than Cronaldo. I can easily see him dropping into a playmaker/Zidane-ish role and still be ridiculously good when he ages and loses athleticism.

Agreed.  He won't lose his vision, touch or strength on the ball, if anything the first two will probably improve.  Once Ronaldo loses his pace, he'll be pretty ineffective at the highest level.