La Liga

Village Idiot

So after 3 years of smacking everyone in their path, they now have a season where they're not at their best. That doesn't negate anything they did in the past 3 years. Their run, which isn't over by any means, is the greatest of any club side ever. They were the invincible team of the century, like it or not. Maybe not now, but for the past 3 years, of course.

If they win the CL this season and the cup, and Madrid win the league, who will have had the better season? Barca, I say.

How does their fantastic achievement for the last 3 years (they lost to Inter in the CL final of 2010 btw) make them the invincible team of the century? They were not even invincible in those 3 years?

So after 3 years of smacking everyone in their path, they now have a season where they're not at their best. That doesn't negate anything they did in the past 3 years. Their run, which isn't over by any means, is the greatest of any club side ever. They were the invincible team of the century, like it or not. Maybe not now, but for the past 3 years, of course.

If they win the CL this season and the cup, and Madrid win the league, who will have had the better season? Barca, I say.

How does their fantastic achievement for the last 3 years (they lost to Inter in the CL final of 2010 btw) make them the invincible team of the century? They were not even invincible in those 3 years?

Semi final.

Still think that Barca have suffered with a crazy and unlucky amount of injuries this season.

An out of form Villa at the start didn thelp either.

It'd be a lot closer than it is now but Barca have drawn too many games away from home.

Still the best team I've seen in my lifetime. 

Semi final.

thanks

Fair enough. After Marseille beat them in the Champions League final, the shrining should end.

Also, injuries are a part of the sport. The best player in the world has played in every one of their league matches, and it is a fault of the team if there are not adequate reserves to fulfill the auxiliary positions.

Barca are still a phenomenal team, but Real have a phenomenal squad. Thats why Barca always beat Real, but haven't kept up with the pace this season.

Pretty much this.  Barca's own fault for not signings the right players beyond their first XI.

Jose :smug:

Name me another club side that has had as incredible a run as they have. Running away with league again and again, wiping away teams in Europe, playing superb football and dominating every match they play, regardless of the result. No team has ever done what they did. None.

MJ's Bulls went 72-10 once, and they're considered an invincible team, even though they lost ten games that season. Individual losses don't matter when you win everything in the style and way that Barca did. They didn't sneak 1-0 wins to win the title, they smashed teams right, left and center.

Fair enough. After Marseille beat them in the Champions League final, the shrining should end.

Also, injuries are a part of the sport. The best player in the world has played in every one of their league matches, and it is a fault of the team if there are not adequate reserves to fulfill the auxiliary positions.

I agree. It's odd Pep hasn't brought a couple of more bodies in considering the funds at his disposal. Guess he doesn't want superflous players damaging a close-knit mentality. Real Madrid's squad is a phenomenal collection of players which, as Ketsbaia mentioned, explains their superior consistency this year.

Name me another club side that has had as incredible a run as they have. Running away with league again and again, wiping away teams in Europe, playing superb football and dominating every match they play, regardless of the result. No team has ever done what they did. None.

MJ's Bulls went 72-10 once, and they're considered an invincible team, even though they lost ten games that season. Individual losses don't matter when you win everything in the style and way that Barca did. They didn't sneak 1-0 wins to win the title, they smashed teams right, left and center.

There's been other teams like this, and they haven't been all that invincible in Europe.

In 2010 they got Mourinho'd and 2009 they should've lost to Chelsea. 

They is the sort of post that proves the Barca overhype. They were not smashing teams left right and centre, they were fantastic aye but there were also many wins with just the one goal margin. I don't know bout MJ Bulls being called invincible let alone team of the century, but to me Barca need to do much more to get such hyped up titles like team of the century. Team of the decade maybe, even then teams like Man Utd and Milan would give them a close run for the money. Do you even know teams that played say before the 1970s?

Overall supremacy is based over 2-5 years. That's why winning consecutive league titles is the true mark of a great side. Man United have been the best team in England for 5 years but they haven't won the league every year.

It will take 2 years of Barca finishing 2nd and not winning the CL for them to no longer be the best side in the world.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Think Barca's downfall this year has been the lack of squad and inability to stay motivated. As Sid Lowe said, they have been involved in 6 competitions and it has been difficult for them to stay motivated for the 38 games it takes to win the league. It is also their third year in which their players would have participated in about 8 tournaments a season, including internationals, with a few of their players not having a rest in 3 seasons (though this isn't that great of an excuse due to other teams having their entire squad part of international set ups).

On the other side, as others have mentioned, Madrid's squad is outstanding, and very possibly the best in the world. You could also very well argue that Madrid have the best team in the world for individual talent too.

Still though, whilst La Liga is all but out the window, Barca could end the season with 5 trophies, which isn't a bad haul for a season which people are classing as a bit of a failure.

Actually I think our depth was adequate going into the season, bar the defence (where hilariously we haven't had that much trouble). We just have had a ridiculous run of injuries (like none of Xavi/Busquets/Iniesta fit to start last weekend against Osasuna), Madrid would struggle with none of Alonso/Khedira/Özil fit to start too. Again, injuries are part of the game too, but I don't buy the theme that we only have a first XI.

They is the sort of post that proves the Barca overhype. They were not smashing teams left right and centre, they were fantastic aye but there were also many wins with just the one goal margin. I don't know bout MJ Bulls being called invincible let alone team of the century, but to me Barca need to do much more to get such hyped up titles like team of the century. Team of the decade maybe, even then teams like Man Utd and Milan would give them a close run for the money. Do you even know teams that played say before the 1970s?

Who is your team of the century, then?

My opinion is that in football, and in every sport, it's harder and harder to dominate because technological advances in physical training and informational advances in dieting and such has meant that most of the top tier players are physically at the same level. This means that there are more 'top' players than before. Which means that it is harder to dominate. So for a team to do so today, it is much more impressive than to have done it 40 years ago, when there were 8 teams in the European Cup and you only needed to win a few matches to win it.

Everyone plays football today, so there are more good players today than ever before, purely because the pool of talent is greater than before. This is simply statistics and probability. So to dominate today in the way Barca and Messi have is incredibly impressive. What they've done is unmatched in the proper context. If someone says 'what about the Real team that won 5 straight CLs?' then they have no clue about statistics.

My opinion is that in football, and in every sport, it's harder and harder to dominate because technological advances in physical training and informational advances in dieting and such has meant that most of the top tier players are physically at the same level. This means that there are more 'top' players than before. Which means that it is harder to dominate. So for a team to do so today, it is much more impressive than to have done it 40 years ago, when there were 8 teams in the European Cup and you only needed to win a few matches to win it.

Everyone plays football today, so there are more good players today than ever before, purely because the pool of talent is greater than before. This is simply statistics and probability. So to dominate today in the way Barca and Messi have is incredibly impressive. What they've done is unmatched in the proper context. If someone says 'what about the Real team that won 5 straight CLs?' then they have no clue about statistics.

Would say there's been a genuine dip in quality over the last 5 years like. Brazilian & Dutch players aren't what they once was. African lads are just battering rams these days too. Hasn't been an African Okocha in a long time.

Would say there's been a genuine dip in quality over the last 5 years like. Brazilian & Dutch players aren't what they once was. African lads are just battering rams these days too. Hasn't been an African Okocha in a long time.

It comes and goes, other countries filling in... For example I don't think there's been such an amount of class Spanish players in the story of our footie. Some outstanding German lads that don't fit in the usual German workhorse mold too, Argentina has a bunch of great players too, despite what their NT suggests... Personally I think football is in great shape, the problem is that the best talent gets gobbled up by a smaller amount of clubs compared to 20 years ago.

It comes and goes, other countries filling in... For example I don't think there's been such an amount of class Spanish players in the story of our footie. Some outstanding German lads that don't fit in the usual German workhorse mold too, Argentina has a bunch of great players too, despite what their NT suggests... Personally I think football is in great shape, the problem is that the best talent gets gobbled up by a smaller amount of clubs compared to 20 years ago.

Agreed on Spain and Germany. But Germany have always produced top players, same with Argentina. I look at the Euro Championships and I feel there's only 2-3 top quality teams (that i know of).

Last 6 seasons in champions league from Barca:

Won

2nd Round

SF

Won

SF

Won

Unbelievable consistency apart from one season.

Depends on how you cut it right, Man United has been in the final 3 out of the last 4 years including winning in 2008. My point is that it will take a lot more for Barcelona to be super hyped as team of the century.  What does that mean anyway given that we are only 12 years into the new century?? People just use such hyperbole loosely without even knowing what it means

Team of the century so far presumably.  Which they are, by a fucking mile at club level.  Only other close contender is the current Spain team imo as it happens.

alpal your constant chelping at Barca is laughable, what's the deal? Kid who beat you up at school wore a Romario shirt or something?