La Liga

Village Idiot

Conclusion: what the f*** did I do that for, where's me tea?

You bring up a good point. As much as people like to believe it Barca are just as bad as Madrid in terms of bully-spending.

When I looked at the players coming in, it seemed like Barca were more willing to spend most of their money on one player. 70 million on Zlatan, and a combined 74 million on Fabregas and Sanchez, for example. Granted, Real did spend 80m and 50m on Ronaldo and Kaka, but that did come in a summer where they spent 259m, due to the return of Florentino Perez (and in response to Barca winning the treble)

The result of Barca spending more on fewer players is the current situation of Barca having the best first 11 but Madrid the best squad.

Nah, it's more the result of spending lots on players that didn't work: Zlatan, Henrique, Hleb, Keirrison, Chygrynsky, Cáceres... that's a combined cost of 150€+ that aren't even at the club anymore.

When you look at our first XI, it's significantly cheaper than Madrid's. Thank godness we have a great youth setup, because our transfer record is pretty meh.

However, I do challenge the fact that Madrid's squad is so much deeper than ours. Our injuries this season have been much worse and their squad would have rendered threadbare with the same amount. Not using it as an excuse or anything, injuries are part of the game, but after adquiring Alexis and Cesc I think our squad - when fully fit - is pretty good bar in defence.

Barca

2008-09

Total spending: €88 million

Total income: €49.5 million

2009-10

Total spending: €85.5 million

Total income: €2 million (f***ing Zlatan)

2010-11

Total spending: €71.5 million

Total income: €43 million

2011-12

Total spending: €72 million

Total income: €8.25 million

Total spent: €317 million

Total income: €102.75

Total: €214.25 million loss

Thought Barca v Real was Football v Money. Does not compute  :cheesy:

No better than City, the pair of 'em.

Garay, Huntelaar etc.....

I'm not bothered like, just find it funny that people continue to claim that Barca haven't bought success like any other team.

They got most of their money back for Huntelaar and Garay ffs. :lol:

Real Madrid's non winning team cost a fucking shitload to build, Barcelona's winning team didn't.

"Bought success" :lol: The 2008/2009 first team probably had 7/8 players that were free. :lol:

They've spent an awful lot of money on shite that has since left the club, that's why it might look to the severely uneducated outsider that they bought success ffs, the best players in the team cost absolutely nothing. :lol:

As I said, compare the 25 CL players for a somewhat relevant comparison.

:lol: Didn't mean to cause offence man. Real aren't they only team they need to be compared to, I would imagine they have spent more in recent years than the majority of major European teams.

Alves, Fabregas, Villa, Sanchez, Mascherano and even Keita commanded fees most teams could never dream of paying. The Barca scouting/academy network isn't particularly cheap either so the homegrown players can hardly be called free.

They've bought success, no biggie. All teams do these days.

:lol: Didn't mean to cause offence man. Real aren't they only team they need to be compared to, I would imagine they have spent more in recent years than the majority of major European teams.

Alves, Fabregas, Villa, Sanchez, Mascherano and even Keita commanded fees most teams could never dream of paying. The Barca scouting/academy network isn't particularly cheap either so the homegrown players can hardly be called free.

They've bought success, no biggie. All teams do these days.

Only Alves in that lot has been vital to their success man, the main players that have given them success are Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Busquets and Valdes. Can chuck in players like Pique and Pedro, how much did these players cost man.

Their success came for very little cost, the domination cost a bit more money.

Our academy costs €25m per season IIRC, given that we get a decent chunk back from transfer fees of players that don't make the grade, plus the players we get (even if we don't get a world class footballer every year, guys like Cuenca or Tello are very useful squad players and save money), I think it's the most efficient thing we have going at the club.

And yes, we tried to buy our way to success, but failed at it.

VI are Valencia restarting work on their stadium again soon, my mate said they've got the finance in place to start rebuilding?

Yes, they have the finance in place but work has yet to restart, as the project will be modified and some replanning is needed, plus they are looking to sell the naming rights. They have set a Jan 2014 date for the opening though.

Guest neesy111

VI are Valencia restarting work on their stadium again soon, my mate said they've got the finance in place to start rebuilding?

Yes, they have the finance in place but work has yet to restart, as the project will be modified and some replanning is needed, plus they are looking to sell the naming rights. They have set a Jan 2014 date for the opening though.

Good to hear.  If they want to recover into a position financially to compete at the top then they need to make that stadium work.

Also what's the status for Ath. Bibao's and At. Madrid's new stadiums?

Work is ongoing at San Mamés Barria, Atlético's new home has hit some problems as a Madrid court has put limitations on the rezoning of the soil where the Calderón is built. The city council is supposed to buy the Calderón and use it to expand the neighboring road and redevelop the area, in exchange of funding the new stadium.

Guest neesy111

Such a shame they are knocking down San Mames, one of the most iconic stadiums in World Football.  Some of the best atmospheres in football matches I've seen have came from games there.

Guest neesy111

It will be a shame, second oldest stadium in Spanish professional football, the only stadium that has seen all the editions of La Liga... but it couldn't be expanded and the new stadium will allow the club to grow.

Regarding Athletico, who would you regard as having the better youth / feeder system between them and Barcelona?

It will be a shame, second oldest stadium in Spanish professional football, the only stadium that has seen all the editions of La Liga... but it couldn't be expanded and the new stadium will allow the club to grow.

Regarding Athletico, who would you regard as having the better youth / feeder system between them and Barcelona?

Atlético or Athletic? I suppose you meant the second since Atlético's youth setup isn't all that (they produced Raúl, though).

Athletic's youth setup is certainly one of the best, and at times has been the best in Spain. They need it to be one of the best, since they need the best Basque players they can get. During the 1980s-90s the Spanish NT routinely had 5-8 players produced by them, and the squad playing against Venezuela has 4.

But nowadays, ours is better, even if only because of the difference in the catching areas. Messi wasn't born in Barcelona... (although a foreign boy that had resided in Bilbao since bairn to be part of their youth setup would be considered "Basque" they only fish in their immediate area).

"Mundo Deportivo" (Barcelona sports rag), running a report claiming that Barça has started looking at the feasibleness of building a new stadium. There's been a lot of talk over this the past years, the Camp Nou does really show its age and can't be expanded much more, with little parking or public transportation in the immediate neighborhood. There was to be a major renovation in the upcoming years, but apparently the board is now thinking a new stadium would be better in the long term.

Can we afford it? Not sure, unless our new home becomes QatarFoundation@CampNou...