Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Including Tavernier, Kadar and Abeid is taking the piss. :lol:

Abeid's looked good in the friendlies so far and Kadar should certainly be part of the squad by now.  Not sure how its taking the piss.

When he first arrived at Old Trafford, he was a decent enough player but he just couldn't break into the team and get consistent game time in. This could be a good signing. I'm happy enough.

But he wasn't, man :lol: He was just a squad player at Bordeaux.

Obviously people who know bot all about him look at his career progression and think "well he must have pulled up trees in France to get a move to Man United" but he didn't even do that. He was a substitute. He wasn't a Gourcuff or a Benzema...he's an Obertan :lol:

A massive improvement on Lovenkrands, in other words.

Better than Routledge too maybe?

Obertan only needs one goal in the Premiership to overtake him. Obertan looks fast and very tricky. Some poor decision making/final balls and meh shooting on YT but not a lot of playing time so far. Like Jonas, maybe the trick is to score from the free kicks he wins.

Lovenkrands is a left footed striker, Obertan is a right winger as far as I can see.

So we're in agreement that Obertan is more suited to the RW role? :lol:

If we're going to play 4-3-3, the arrivals of Obertan and Marveaux push Loven further down the pecking order. I like that. I like it a lot.

When he first arrived at Old Trafford, he was a decent enough player but he just couldn't break into the team and get consistent game time in. This could be a good signing. I'm happy enough.

But he wasn't, man :lol: He was just a squad player at Bordeaux.

Obviously people who know bot all about him look at his career progression and think "well he must have pulled up trees in France to get a move to ManI United" but he didn't even do that. He was a substitute. He wasn't a Gourcuff or a Benzema...he's an Obertan :lol:

He was a 20 year old squad player who showed enough for ManU to sign him.  As someone who knows "bot all" about him I think I'll wait to see him play for us instead of just assuming he's shit.

Lovenkrands is a left footed striker, Obertan is a right winger as far as I can see.

If we're going to play 4-3-3, the arrivals of Obertan and Marveaux push Loven further down the pecking order. I like that. I like it a lot.

I don't recall Loven ever playing on the right wing. The two look like completely different players so I don't really understand the comparison.

I don't recall Loven ever playing on the right wing. The two look like completely different players so I don't really understand the comparison.

Loven played on the RW quite a few times last season. He may have not started (memory defeats me), but whenever he was subbed in, he was rubbish as expected.

Fuck this shit.

Gabriel Obertan is fucking shit.

Fucking shit.

so, er, hyperbole aside what's orangutan actually like then?  gonna assume pace to burn but questionable end product....

is he only a winger or can he play as a secondary striker? hopefully not

found this while looking round red cafe found this by Andy Brassel from when he signed for Man U to give some kind of detail on the player, bit out of date but worth a look anyway

Introducing... Gabriel Obertan

United’s new signing may be something of an unknown quantity in England, but over in France they’ve been singing his praises for years.

In fact, Gabriel Obertan was being tipped for the top long before he even made his senior debut for Bordeaux as a 17-year-old.

So what sort of player is the France U21 international? And what can United fans expect from his first season at Old Trafford? To find out, we spoke exclusively to BBC 5Live’s European football expert Andy Brassell...

How highly rated is Obertan in France?

He’s a terrific player, although, to be honest, I think some people in France are quite surprised by the transfer. He’s been on the cusp of something great at Bordeaux for a while now – he made his debut at 17 – but he hasn’t quite kicked on and forced himself into the side on a regular basis. Despite that, I think he’ll be a really good fit at United.

What are his main attributes?

He’s a very versatile player and the way United play you need your frontmen to be mobile and flexible. He’s a right-sided attacker, but he can also drop back into midfield or play as a second striker. He could probably also play in central midfield, and I expect his adaptability is one reason Sir Alex was interested in him. He went through the famous Clairefontaine football academy so he has a lot of technical ability and he’s also very quick.

So he’s not a like-for-like replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo?

No, I don’t think you can compare him to Ronaldo or claim he’ll be a direct replacement – they’re different sorts of players. However, like Ronaldo when he first came to England, there’s an element of the unknown around Obertan, which could work in his favour. Remember, though, Obertan’s played about 100 first-team games already and he’s played in the Champions League, so he has decent experience under his belt. In that sense, he’s maybe better prepared for England than Ronaldo was when he first arrived. Obertan also understands his attributes very well: he’s direct and has plenty of tricks, but he’s not going to over-elaborate or do them for the sake of showing off.

Are we talking about a future star?

Well, a lot of people in France think he could become something really special. He hasn’t quite progressed at the rate people had hoped after his debut at 17, but he’s also been a little bit unlucky. Last year, for instance, Bordeaux played Roma in the Champions League and Obertan started terrifically. Bordeaux went 1-0 up and things were looking really good. But then their centre-back was sent off and Obertan was sacrificed for a defender and Bordeaux ended up losing. Similar things have happened on one or two other occasions and there was a feeling that it just wasn’t going to happen for him at Bordeaux, a feeling that luck just wasn’t going his way.

He was sent out on loan to FC Lorient for the second half of 2008/09. They’re not exactly a big club…That’s true, but he did very well at Lorient. And the fact that Bordeaux sent him on loan to a struggling side shouldn’t be seen as a negative. I think it served two purposes: it said to him that he needed to play more games and start making some progress, but it also would have provided a valuable education. Lorient are a modest club without bells or whistles – he would have been forced to work hard there and roll his sleeves up and get stuck in. While he was there he played for France U21s against England U21s in Nottingham. France won that night, Obertan was the best player on the park and scored the first goal. That performance was a good indication of what he’s capable of.

Realistically, how much can United fans expect to see him this season?

He’s relatively unknown so I don’t think too much will be expected of him. There won’t be too much pressure. I see it almost as a free season for him to ease himself into the club. I definitely wouldn’t like to see him go out on loan – he has such fantastic players to learn from at United and because he’s tall, pacy and has tricks I think he’ll work really well as an impact substitute against tired defenders. I can see him playing about 25 games this season.

Can he cope with the rigours of the English game?

Absolutely. I think the French league, in general, is a great finishing school for life in England. It’s physically tougher than most other leagues in Europe – certainly the Spanish, Portuguese, German or Italian leagues – so that helps players prepare for the Premier League. Most players who have come from France to England are quite physical and get stuck in – people like Drogba and Essien at Chelsea and even Bassong at Newcastle. Obertan is a big guy – 6ft 1in – he’s quick and he can handle himself against defenders. I think that’s something that would have really appealed to United.

You would think a loan deal with option to buy would be the way to go on this type of player rather than a 5 year contract. Very unimpressed by this player cashley must be getting him cheap. We really are the bargain basement deal club now.

Like cabaye, marveux, ba and mehdi but We should be wrighting wrongs and bringing the n'zogbia's back and trying to buy the likes of papiss cisse which should not be beyond us especially after the 35 mill for carroll and wasn't there £20 million in the kitty we were promised before that.

Signing zoggy and someone like cisse would make us a force to be reckoned with. A uefa spot at least IMO

Now if we do lose Barton and we do not get a really good striker it could be a very frustrating season for us as we won't have the tools we could so easily have acquired.

Guest Recoba

You would think a loan deal with option to buy would be the way to go on this type of player rather than a 5 year contract. Very unimpressed by this player cashley must be getting him cheap. We really are the bargain basement deal club now.

Like cabaye, marveux, ba and mehdi but We should be wrighting wrongs and bringing the n'zogbia's back and trying to buy the likes of papiss cisse which should not be beyond us especially after the 35 mill for carroll and wasn't there £20 million in the kitty we were promised before that.

Signing zoggy and someone like cisse would make us a force to be reckoned with. A uefa spot at least IMO

Now if we do lose Barton and we do not get a really good striker it could be a very frustrating season for us as we won't have the tools we could so easily have acquired.

Havnt seen much of Cisse of Freiberg and he is reportedly a good player

but

Dont want any more players who could play at the Africa Cup of Nations.  Strikers wise we will loose Ba, possibly even Shola and/or Sammy too!  Then Tiote as well.

I am content bordering on happy with Obertan.  Never felt he got a fair crack of the whip at Man U, which is understandable as he is worse than Nani, Giggs, Park, Valencia now Young, Welbeck and Cleverly too vying for places in attack.

His early career in France looks not too disimilar to Ben Arfa's early days at Lyon before his breakout season in 07/08 when he was 20 turning 21.  Both had a reputation built on youth France football and spells at Clairfontaine.  Obertan moved to Man U at 20 and and is still to have a breakout season having essentially wasted the past two years.

He could be a total non-entity like Aliadiere or a solid but not world class pro like Anthony Le Tallec. 

In Marveaux, Jonas and Obertan we have decent options on the wings.  Then in Ben Arfa, Vuckic and Obertan we have decent options for the number 10 role. 

Added bonus is he will speak good English, knows what it's like to live in northern England, should be a cert to settle etc.

He has a certain pedigree.  This isn't shite like Keith Treacey nor a Man U has been like Wes Brown.  Let's get behind the lad.