Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

It is his fault that he won't attack the left back though or attempt to get to the by-line though, even when they brought some kid on there.

While he didn't run at the full backs as often as he could, he used the ball quite intelligently when he had it. Some nice passes into space behind the defenders and he kept possession well. In the first half I thought him and Best were our two best attacking players.

Our Wimbledon tactics can't have helped.  Thought he showed the odd glimpse of class, but still looks confused when in the final third and short of confidence, take the full back on FFS.  He goes missing for long spells as well which is a worry, if we started playing it on the deck, it might not be such an issue.

Our most efficient passer of the ball last night, 31 out of 35. Still looks a bit shit though, maybe will start to show a bit more with a run of games as he was one our better players in the first half but anonymous for too many periods and whilst on in the second.

One thing in his favour is his physical size and strength, won a few balls in the air last night which isnt even an option for Routledge and a few tackles too.

think he did ok....not much help he got. no support from central midfield.

we lost battle for central midfield yersterday....an area where we look strongest.....worringly!

obertan was ok....not great....still early days.... not suited for a 4-4-2. He could be a good sub for several positions RW/LW/AMC

His forward passes last night was pretty good. Bad movement from the front 2 is a hindereance for him. He likes the cutting inside kind of act. Small pitch and 3 midfielders made it tough on him getting inside aswell. But what frustrates me the most is his unwillingness to go down the line with the ball. His speed is insane to look at. Should use it far more often. But looking at him play it seems like he wants a kind of playmaker role spreading passes instead of running with the ball.

As some of you have said, wish he had the balls to run at the opposition full back. There were so many occasions where I shouted at the TV, urging Obertan to do this. Perhaps it's still a confidence issue.

Mick Lowes said to Pardew that he thought he was excellent last night, Pardew agreed. I'm reaqlly starting to question my vision and understanding of the game because along with "The back four were brilliant tonight" comment, I really don't get it. This guy looks like a player the opposition would love us to play week in week out, he offer practically no threat at all.

Mick Lowes said to Pardew that he thought he was excellent last night, Pardew agreed. I'm reaqlly starting to question my vision and understanding of the game because along with "The back four were brilliant tonight" comment, I really don't get it. This guy looks like a player the opposition would love us to play week in week out, he offer practically no threat at all.

Really? Well f*** off Mick Lowes for putting ridiculous thoughts like that in Pardew's head. I'm not sure if Pardew really means it, or if he says stuff like that to spare the players. The next team sheet will show - blind or being nice.

Guest Dontooner

Improved game after game.  But lacks a football brain....

My observation is that we are left with ben, cabaye, santon , colo and Marv that could actually make 1 2 passes and change our simple game due to their individual invention and skill.

funny we sold the four that shape our of style last season.

Pardew said we are changing our style, hopes he gets it right, this team needs to play on the deck more often.

OK I am coming to defend for this poor guy (and ironically I am also the first who said do not expect too much from him after the first game)

He needs time to change his play style, which he learnt during his time at Man Utd. You have to understand he has been "fine-tuned" by Alex Ferguson to be a "squad rotation player" for Man Utd.  The first rule for him at that time is DO NOT LOSE POSSESSION CHEAPLY.  Pass to others to create spaces for the star players is often preferable than dribbling yourself. If you do not follow this rule, you won't get any play time.  For example, Park was a great dribbler during his time at PSV, but he rarely dribble after joining Man Utd.  In other words, he is not allowed to take on the opponents when he has an option to pass to the star players.  If you can understand this, you would not be surprised by his decision last night.

The problem is we expect him to be a star because obviously he has the tools.  He has pace, strength and nice touch and skills. I still think he could be the one, but we have to invest lots of playing time because he has to adjust.  If you aren't willing to do so or you expect immediate return, give him up then.

The Mick Lowes comment I was ranting about, is in the audio interview at this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14897089.stm if anyone is interested.

Pardew: "His resilience defensively was a feature of the game" You couldn't be any more far from the truth. Slightly worrying.

Yeah - I had to rewind that bit - I thought my ears were playing tricks on me.

OK I am coming to defend for this poor guy (and ironically I am also the first who said do not expect too much from him after the first game)

He needs time to change his play style, which he learnt during his time at Man Utd. You have to understand he has been "fine-tuned" by Alex Ferguson to be a "squad rotation player" for Man Utd.  The first rule for him at that time is DO NOT LOSE POSSESSION CHEAPLY.  Pass to others to create spaces for the star players is often preferable than dribbling yourself. If you do not follow this rule, you won't get any play time.  For example, Park was a great dribbler during his time at PSV, but he rarely dribble after joining Man Utd.  In other words, he is not allowed to take on the opponents when he has an option to pass to the star players.  If you can understand this, you would not be surprised by his decision last night.

The problem is we expect him to be a star because obviously he has the tools.  He has pace, strength and nice touch and skills. I still think he could be the one, but we have to invest lots of playing time because he has to adjust.  If you aren't willing to do so or you expect immediate return, give him up then.

Good post. Possession is the first rule of football and he was one of the few who was keeping the ball well and making constructive passes. I thought it was his best game, and considering how we didn't play through midfield that's an achievement.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He wasn't bad at all. Until Ben Arfa's back I'd put him with Jonas and Marveaux as the attacking end of a 4-2-3-1. Still a young lad.

I know Beardsley's coaching credentials have been questioned in the past, but surely it can't be a bad idea to get him to do some 1 on 1 coaching with Obertan, to try and build up his confidence and tell the lad that he needs to run at players more. As he's got the pace to scare opposition full-backs, as well as the technique.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Come in Gabriel Obertan thread

Read comments

Double check to make sure its Gabriel Obertan thread and not Jonas Gutierrez thread