Erik Pieters

Dave

The truth is you have NO idea who we are targeting - why we are targeting them - what is going on behind the scenes with players, managers and chairman

chillax

This is very true but I think we have all seen enough of how Ashley does Bundestag to be able to get some kind of idea into what will happen, so I think its a fair so say that we will not have signed a leftback in time for Sundays game.

Also that the main interest they will have is in a loan for Bridge, and will spout some shite about Premier League experience being the reason behind the deal.

The truth is you have NO idea who we are targeting - why we are targeting them - what is going on behind the scenes with players, managers and chairman

chillax

The truth is its unlikely we'll have a senior LB at the club going into the second game of the season. Having sold ours for around £6m a week ago. Shove your chillax :p

NUFC target Erik Pieters to jet out with PSV

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleAug 17 2011

TOON target Erik Pieters was today scheduled on PSV Eindhoven’s flight to Austria for their Europa League clash with SV Ried tomorrow – dampening hopes that his proposed move to Newcastle will take place in time for Saturday’s lunchtime clash with Sunderland.

The Chronicle can reveal that Pieters was on the official squad list pinned up at PSV’s training centre yesterday and due to meet his team-mates at Eindhoven Airport today.

Pieters is one of United’s top choices for the vacant left-back slot and is keen on the move to Tyneside, but the two clubs are yet to agree an overall package for the Holland international.

As we reported last night, Pieters wants £30,000 per week to sign for the Magpies, and PSV are believed to have set a £6m price tag on the defender.

PSV boss Fred Rutten has made it clear they don’t want to sell, but the Philips Stadion chief will also not stand in the player’s way after he indicated his eagerness to star in the Premier League.

PSV Communications Manager Pedro Salazar Hewitt told the Chronicle today: “He is travelling with us to Austria.

“If nothing else happens he will be in the squad on Thursday night.”

Any participation by Pieters in PSV’s clash with SV Ried would all but end Pieters’ hopes of making the move in time for Saturday.

Premier League rules mean that United would have to have Pieters signed up by noon on Friday to be eligible for the Sunderland game.

However, with PSV expected to return to Holland in the early hours of the same day, should he be involved tomorrow night he would be facing a race against time.

Newcastle started with Ryan Taylor at left-back against Arsenal while one-time Northern Ireland international Shane Ferguson and utility man James Perch may come into consideration.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/17/nufc-target-erik-pieters-to-jet-out-with-psv-72703-29249817/#ixzz1VHfyP5OP

chillax

Aye. Let's not discuss anything.

Thank goodness, someone finally talking some sense. I couldn't agree more. :lol: :thup:

Guest johnson293

NUFC target Erik Pieters to jet out with PSV

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleAug 17 2011

TOON target Erik Pieters was today scheduled on PSV Eindhoven’s flight to Austria for their Europa League clash with SV Ried tomorrow – dampening hopes that his proposed move to Newcastle will take place in time for Saturday’s lunchtime clash with Sunderland.

The Chronicle can reveal that Pieters was on the official squad list pinned up at PSV’s training centre yesterday and due to meet his team-mates at Eindhoven Airport today.

Pieters is one of United’s top choices for the vacant left-back slot and is keen on the move to Tyneside, but the two clubs are yet to agree an overall package for the Holland international.

As we reported last night, Pieters wants £30,000 per week to sign for the Magpies, and PSV are believed to have set a £6m price tag on the defender.

PSV boss Fred Rutten has made it clear they don’t want to sell, but the Philips Stadion chief will also not stand in the player’s way after he indicated his eagerness to star in the Premier League.

PSV Communications Manager Pedro Salazar Hewitt told the Chronicle today: “He is travelling with us to Austria.

“If nothing else happens he will be in the squad on Thursday night.”

Any participation by Pieters in PSV’s clash with SV Ried would all but end Pieters’ hopes of making the move in time for Saturday.

Premier League rules mean that United would have to have Pieters signed up by noon on Friday to be eligible for the Sunderland game.

However, with PSV expected to return to Holland in the early hours of the same day, should he be involved tomorrow night he would be facing a race against time.

Newcastle started with Ryan Taylor at left-back against Arsenal while one-time Northern Ireland international Shane Ferguson and utility man James Perch may come into consideration.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/17/nufc-target-erik-pieters-to-jet-out-with-psv-72703-29249817/#ixzz1VHfyP5OP

Oh well, still time for him to be put an a flight to Newcastle then, if things change.

Guest michaelfoster

This is an absolute joke. It's bloody Wednesday, Pieters is playing a match tonight. We should of had a left back signed and sealed on Monday or Tuesday.

tbf he was at a family funeral monday

Guest johnson293

This'll be why the left back transfers have stalled....

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/black-white/ryan_taylor_s_in_determined_mood_ahead_of_derby_1_3688089

“To play left-back was a little bit awkward in the first half, but as the game went on I got more comfortable."

I will learn from it, I am just happy we kept a clean sheet."

:frantic:

Guest johnson293

He won't play tonight, just PSV trying to force us into a move.

I agree.

He might however, play tomorrow night.

:pow:

We probably thought we could pick him up for £4m and that's why we are bidding for three different left backs hoping that will panic one of the clubs into selling for a lower price. The problem is none of them are desperate to sell so all this daft bartering is not going to get us anywhere except nearer deadline day with no left back.

I guess it might just be brinksmanship from PSV, threatening to put him on a plane to Austria while also keeping a full tank of gas in the helicopter to Newcastle.

Ultimately, I don't think we'll have a left back this weekend simply because the people who run our club value saving a couple million pounds more than having a player available for an extra match or two.

I expect we'll get both Pieters and Maiga, but both well into the last week of the window.

We probably thought we could pick him up for £4m and that's why we are bidding for three different left backs hoping that will panic one of the clubs into selling for a lower price. The problem is none of them are desperate to sell so all this daft bartering is not going to get us anywhere except nearer deadline day with no left back.

Or they're pursuing a number of targets to make sure they get someone. People would go mental if we concentrated on one left back, it fell through and we were left with nobody.

Or they're pursuing a number of targets to make sure they get someone. People would go mental if we concentrated on one left back, it fell through and we were left with nobody.

The lesson of this and every summer is that people will go mental no matter what happens.

I include myself in that.

it's just different degrees of incompetence/tightness though ian, i'm not going to be satisfied that we dont have a left back for the first 2, 3 or 4 games of the season because there's a possibility we could be without one for the whole season.

this could and should have been sorted ages ago, by paying good money for a good replacment. there's really not much more to it.

it's just different degrees of incompetence/tightness though ian, i'm not going to be satisfied that we dont have a left back for the first 2, 3 or 4 games of the season because there's a possibility we could be without one for the whole season.

this could and should have been sorted ages ago, by paying good money for a good replacment. there's really not much more to it.

Fair comment, I'll just be happy when we sign someone, the timing of it is less of a worry. Obviously I would rather have them in ASAP. It's true that they have had ages to prepare for Enrique leaving.

If we get the right player in then it will have been worth holding out, even though it might well impact our game against Sunderland. I don't know much about any of these full backs tbh, but I assume they are quality judging by their price tags. If were to lose the derby then sign Bridges on loan at the end of the window there is going to be some very angry people. I just hope that isn't a serious consideration.