Erik Pieters

Dave

There is absolutely no excuse, none at all, for not signing a leftback. We've had all summer to sign either a replacement or an understudy. We almost got the latter only through trying to exploit yet another contract clause, and when we found out we'd actually have to pay money for him, the deal was dead. Still wondering if we'll sign the two require players we knew about since January, and people are still defending this policy of zero capital outlay. Do me a favour.

Every single year it's the same, people dismiss the August games like they don't matter. We went down by a point recently ffs, you'd think they'd learn that every single point matters.

We're not going down this season. And I'm not dismissing the August games. I think we can get a win at Sunderland with or without a left-back. I'm pissed off it's taking us so long to sign a left-back but some of the reactions are bordering ridiculous.

If we've played 18 games without a left-back and not 2-3 games, I'll be pessimistic.

One of those 2-3 games is the joint most important game of the season.

Defeat doesn't mean we'll automatically have a bad season if we sign a left-back a few days later will it? End of the day it'd be an away defeat to a mid-table Premier League side, not relegation.

Same way a win isn't going to have us finishing top 4 if we sign a left-back afterwards either.

No but defeat means we'll have those odious little c***s gloating in our faces all the way until the next derby game. Pretending it's just like any other game is bollocks.

Do the people who make decisions at the club ever look beyond the next 5 minutes? I mean what did they expect? Clubs to just bend over and sell us players when they don't need to?  

"Mike, you sure you want to sell Enrique for half what he's worth without a replacement in the bag first?"

"Sure, we'll just make an offer of whatever we get for Enrique and a club will happily give us their left back. Right? I mean that's what we did for Liverpool, won't someone do that for us?"

"Er, not sure it works that way Mike"

"Whatever, sell Enrique anyway, we'll worry about it later"

We do our transfer business completely the wrong way around, letting clubs cherry-pick our best players and worrying about replacements much later. It's going to catch up with us eventually man.

Every single year it's the same, people dismiss the August games like they don't matter. We went down by a point recently ffs, you'd think they'd learn that every single point matters.

We're not going down this season. And I'm not dismissing the August games. I think we can get a win at Sunderland with or without a left-back. I'm p*ssed off it's taking us so long to sign a left-back but some of the reactions are bordering ridiculous.

Some people may say this policy of acceptance of the situataion, that you seem to have adopted is bordering on ridiculous.

If we've played 18 games without a left-back and not 2-3 games, I'll be pessimistic.

One of those 2-3 games is the joint most important game of the season.

Defeat doesn't mean we'll automatically have a bad season if we sign a left-back a few days later will it? End of the day it'd be an away defeat to a mid-table Premier League side, not relegation.

Same way a win isn't going to have us finishing top 4 if we sign a left-back afterwards either.

No but defeat means we'll have those odious little c***s gloating in our faces all the way until the next derby game. Pretending it's just like any other game is bollocks.

Totally agree, not sure some people on here get the significance of the derby, perhaps they think we just have to turn up to pick up the points, lulled into a false sense of security from last year, trust me it's going to be a toally different kettle of fish to last year. The thought of Ryan Bloody Taylor at LB and no striker of any quality or in any sort of form is bloody frightening.

We're not going down this season. And I'm not dismissing the August games. I think we can get a win at Sunderland with or without a left-back. I'm p*ssed off it's taking us so long to sign a left-back but some of the reactions are bordering ridiculous.

Some people may say this policy of acceptance on the situataion, that you seem to have adopted is bordering on ridiculous.

:thup: Why anyone is defending this incompetence is beyond me.

Hull City, September 2008. No way we were going down that season, absurd.

Chances are we won't have 4 managers this season though. 

Chances are we won't have 4 managers this season though. 

Never count your chickens with these fools...

Some people may say this policy of acceptance of the situataion, that you seem to have adopted is bordering on ridiculous.

It's hardly an acceptance of the situation by simply saying we can win on Saturday and won't go down.

Guest johnson293

There was also the added 'JFK' factor, which couldn't helped team/squad morale, through the autumn/winter months.

It's hardly an acceptance of the situation by simply saying we can win on Saturday and won't go down.

Of course we can win, we can in theory, win any game, bloody hell if we played Barca in the Nou camp next we could win that game too.

The question really is, are we putting ourselves in the best place to win the game. The answer is no, we've shot ourselves in the foot, we've lost our two top scorers from last year (one of who scored 4 goals against them last year). We've let the best left back, I've personally ever seen in a toon shirt go, without having a replacement in place and are likely to play a player in his role that barely fits the discription of a professional footballer whose played one game at LB in his entire unillustrious career. But we have Shola, he always plays well against the Mackems, he'll destroy them, we'll be fine :(

Sunderland are no Barca of course but they have improved this close season, don't think for a minute they haven't, they'll be hugely motivated to beat us and beat us good on Saturday, they got a great point at Liverpool and go into this home game as favourites, no doubt about that.

Not sure where your optimism is coming from tbh, after the pre-season we had the result against a disjointed looking Arsenal team was amazing.

Oh and I'm sorry but I've heard we won't go down too many times to take anyone's word for it.

There was also the added 'JFK' factor, which couldn't helped team/squad morale, through the autumn/winter months.

Not to mention our entire squad playing like they were on Ketamine for most of the season.

Almost 100% certain we're not signing him. Players "close to a move" do not play for their current team a couple of days before.

Not saying you're wrong, but that happens literally ALL the time. With Enrique just last week for starters.