Erik Pieters

Dave

Not sure about this guy. Dutch mates says he's just in their national side due to lack of players for that position. He's really not that good a player. Lets hope Carr proves a lot of people wrong if we do bring him in. 

He's not even first choice LB at PSV. I think it would be a mistake signing him for any more than £2M personally.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Since when? I watched PSV vs Twente and Feyenoord and Pieters was on the bench.

Coming back from injury?

Maybe. It was after he played in friendly England - Holland though.

PSV - Feyenoord was before the England-Holland match. Here is a list in games he's played this season: http://www.vi.nl/Spelers/Speler/Erik-Pieters.htm?viewid=51 . Also, according to the official PSV site he has started 18 games and came on as a sub in 5 games (http://www.psv.nl/Teams-1/Spelerpagina.htm?dbid=52947&typeofpage=225187).

He did come off the bench vs Twente, in a match they lost 6-2 at home.

He looked pretty solid in the England game for me, but I haven't seen much of him other than that. I have heard mixed reports of him, but I also trust Carver to select the right players.

At the end of the day, if he's a competent top-flight fullback that can provide solidity and a bit of balance to the defence that I'd be happy. Switch Santon to the right and we've improved the team instantly.

If he's a good character and mates with Krul etc than that's a bonus too.

Solid defensively sounds like a vast improvement to me.

Fair enough. He's certainly not the type of full back/wing back I associate with a flowing 4-3-3 though. He's more Simpson than Enrique if you will (in terms of style, not ability).

You dont need two high flying fullbacks to make a 4-3-3 work, Barca dont aslong as hes solid defensively and reliable in possession its good enough for me.

I dont know a single team at the top of football that has two attacking fullbacks, its always one attacking fullback ( Santon) and one defensive fullback ( Pieters )

For example at Barca they have Abidal and Alves, Madrid has Arbeloa and Marcelo........

It's a healthy balance as i said aslong as hes reliable in possession and solid defensively ill be delighted.

I hope we aim higher.

Jetro Willems. (if he gets a stamina coach)

An 18 year old with a massive 15 matches under his belt?

If we're looking for potential, Ricardo van Rhijn (young Ajax right back currently in the process of renewing his contract) may well be worth a look. I think we need somebody who can step right in at full back though, not somebody who's still wet behind the ears..

Guest Shaun

I hope we aim higher.

If we're looking for potential, Ricardo van Rhijn (young Ajax right back currently in the process of renewing his contract) may well be worth a look. I think we need somebody who can step right in at full back though, not somebody who's still wet behind the ears..

He's played more than that. Must be around 30 now.

Never heard of Rhijn. I wiki him and see only 4 games. . . is this the guy?  :serious:

I hope we aim higher.

Never heard of Rhijn. I wiki him and see only 4 games. . . is this the guy?  :serious:

He's played in 11 games so far this season, but he's very talented.

Willems has played 15 games for PSV, and 16 at Sparta Rotterdam (at a lower level).

If we really want to invest in a quality Dutch full back we could do worse than look at Gregory van der Wiel, who has only one year left on his contract and is refusing to renew. Was close to a transfer to Valencia for about 10 million euros last January.

Guest Shaun

I hope we aim higher.

He's played in 11 games so far this season, but he's very talented.

Willems has played 15 games for PSV, and 16 at Sparta Rotterdam (at a lower level).

If we really want to invest in a quality Dutch full back we could do worse than look at Gregory van der Wiel, who has only one year left on his contract and is refusing to renew. Was close to a transfer to Valencia for about 10 million euros last January.

Would be bloody amazing if we got him.

Unbelievable:

How's Wijnaldum doing these days? Seen a bit of him, not much this season though. I saw him score a couple of goals from midfield, making some good runs in to the box. Is he playing more centrally these days? He used to play more as a wing/forward before iirc.

If we go for a CM i would like to see us go for an offensive player that can make nice forward runs from midfield, with/without the ball, like Kieron Dyer used to at his best, but with a bit more end product, I love Cabaye and Tiote, but if we go 4-3-3 i would like to see someone a little bit more different from them with some pace.

Unbelievable:

How's Wijnaldum doing these days? Seen a bit of him, not much this season though. I saw him score a couple of goals from midfield, making some good runs in to the box. Is he playing more centrally these days? He used to play more as a wing/forward before iirc.

If we go for a CM i would like to see us go for an offensive player that can make nice forward runs from midfield, with/without the ball, like Kieron Dyer used to at his best, but with a bit more end product, I love Cabaye and Tiote, but if we go 4-3-3 i would like to see someone a little bit more different from them with some pace.

He's done ok, but not as good as I thought he would. Plays as an attacking midfield player for PSV. Still, time is on his side.

Another player who has left Feyenoord (after being linked with us) is Leroy Fer: he's also had some trouble getting used to his new surroundings at Twente, but seems to be doing better now.

Meanwhile, Feyenoord (my hometown club) aren't doing too bad themselves this season, and could still be champions. A young midfielder worth keeping a close eye on is Jordy Clasie, and of course there's John Guidetti who looks destined to great things.

Quite a few other interesting youngsters in the Eredivisie at the moment, notably Maher, Ola John, Narsingh, Eriksen, Dost, (Luuk) de Jong.

Here's hoping Graham Carr is keeping tabs on the next generation of Van Persie's and Sneijders.

Unbelievable:

He's done ok, but not as good as I thought he would. Plays as an attacking midfield player for PSV. Still, time is on his side.

Another player who has left Feyenoord (after being linked with us) is Leroy Fer: he's also had some trouble getting used to his new surroundings at Twente, but seems to be doing better now.

Meanwhile, Feyenoord (my hometown club) aren't doing too bad themselves this season, and could still be champions. A young midfielder worth keeping a close eye on is Jordy Clasie, and of course there's John Guidetti who looks destined to great things.

Quite a few other interesting youngsters in the Eredivisie at the moment, notably Maher, Ola John, Narsingh, Eriksen, Dost, (Luuk) de Jong.

Here's hoping Graham Carr is keeping tabs on the next generation of Van Persie's and Sneijders.

Cheers mate! My impression of him has always been that he's quite raw, not that i know for sure tbh.

I would like to think that Carr has great knowledge, and hopefully will find us some more gems :)