Erik Pieters

Dave

Think we need to consider that Lille just don't want to sell Debuchy, they have obviously lied to him a number of times (his words) so despite our press claiming we are £500k/£1m out etc. I am still cynical they would sell even if we upped our bid. They are just trying to blame us for the move not happening rather than telling the player they won't sell.

After the hope and hype anyone will feel like a downgrade. I think we need to forget about Debuchy and just look at any player linked with the view of will they or won't they improve the team.

Don't want. Would be such a downgrade on Debuchy.

We don't own Debuchy though. He's an upgrade on what we've got...

I know that. And you know the situation as good as me. Debuchy isn't exactly unrealistic. As for "he's an upgrade on what we've got" - really don't like that line. Surely we should not just aim for any upgrade.

Don't want. Would be such a downgrade on Debuchy.

We don't own Debuchy though. He's an upgrade on what we've got...

I know that. And you know the situation as good as me. Debuchy isn't exactly unrealistic. As for "he's an upgrade on what we've got" - really don't like that line. Surely we should not just aim for any upgrade.

He is only realistic if Lille want to sell and from the players comments they really don't seem to want to. Would be surprised if he goes this summer unless someone offers silly money.

Isn't it widely reported that we're around one million off from getting a bid accepted? Really hope we're just playing hard ball. Also, there's fresh reports that Lille still are searching for replacements.

Isn't it widely reported that we're around one million off from getting a bid accepted? Really hope we're just playing hard ball. Also, there's fresh reports that Lille still are searching for replacements.

Do you honestly believe anything in the British press?  There are absolutely no standards.  You can literally make stuff up and it gets printed as fact (see: Lee Ryder).  It's all total bollocks until it's fact.

Do you honestly believe anything in the British press?  There are absolutely no standards.  You can literally make stuff up and it gets printed as fact (see: Lee Ryder).  It's all total bollocks until it's fact.

Tbf I reckon this is what Lille leaked, however Debuchy has said he has been told conflicting information (waiting for a replacement, sign a RB but not experienced enough, not enough money offered etc..). Sounds like he is just being given excuses which he has publicly expressed his frustration about.

He has 3 years left on his contract iirc, they know he wants away but don't want to let him go so are trying to play it out like we are the ones fucking up the deal which he is clearly aware is bollocks as the manager and chairman have both given him conflicting versions of events.

The English media (Ryder) will just print any bollocks that fills a few column inches without any research. If they bothered to contact Debuchy/his representatives like the French media obviously have they might print more accurate versions of events.

Well i think we'd all like the club to put a ott offer they can't refuse on the table but that's not what we do anymore, the noise from the club was lile kept moving the goalposts and Ashley probably doesn't want clubs thinking we can be bullied into paying inflated prices a la liverpool

Like to get this guy, but only if we sign Debuchy. Pieters would give decent cover for CB and push Santon. I am not at all worried about signing another CB after seeing Perch yesterday. I think we are fine with Colo, Saylor, Willow, Perch, Good, Tavs and Remi.

As far as Debuchy goes apparently if we did come in with an improved offer then Lille would sell despite their tough stance and they are supposedly actively seeking replacements.

As for CB i still want one, mainly for distribution, aerial and recovery pace reasons.

For me while Perch did a solid job, we really missed Colo's distribution and strides forward from the back, Aerially and being caught in behind was a weakness of last season and i'd like to see us rectify it.

While the caught from behind thing can mainly be solved by controlling games better and not allowing to be overrun in midfield and constantly countered but it wouldn't hurt to get a CB who is reasonably quick and a beast in the air.

Personally hope we can get Douglas and Debuchy before the deadline.

I think in one of the Anita vidoes you can see him wor Vurnon skip past Pieters as if he wasn't there.

I haven't watched Pieters much but when i did, pacy wasn't a word that sprung to mind.

• 4 months later...

KeithR ‏@keithrdublin

Pieters gets straight red on return game for PSV. Punches window on way down tunnel. Breaks glass and gets sliced open.

I'd bring him in just for the mackems match. :lol: