Scotty Parker

Baggio

Guest Invicta_Toon

Funny how Emre's had dozens of poor games, yet people are calling for Parker to be dropped.

That's because Emre's poor games are when he's stuck in the middle with Parker.

exactly,

it should be Butt/Parker or Butt/Emre

yes I was

how many crosses / free kicks did he complete today?

How many tackles/interceptions did he make today?

How many times did he dribble with the ball and create something for others?

He was excellent today, I thought it was possibly his best game for us.

is that not his ****ing job like?

are we just happy he can only do the basics like?

Of course it's his job, that doesn't mean he shouldn't get the praise for doing it well. bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

His game today was far better than doing basics as you put it.  He ran the middle of the park for us and I'll give him the credit he deserves just like I'll slate him if he deserves that, today he didn't as he had a good game.

Funny how Emre's had dozens of poor games, yet people are calling for Parker to be dropped.

Or, alternatively, almost every match except today against poor opposition. What if it was just a one-off? Even Lee Bowyer had the odd decent match.

I think neither Emre or Parker are poor players, infact i think they are of a very high stardard, they just can't play together. It was ok when Roeder played Parker as a DM but ever since he fanied about trying to tun him into an AM, they have looked out of shape. Butt is a worse player than both but he has a refined role which alows Emre to work the opposition. In the long run it is probably worth putting Parker back into DM but if aint broke don't fix it.

For me Parker is by far more effective as a defensive midfielder. And by far better than Butt at it. I think it says it all about Roeder's managerial ability when he asked Parker at the start of the season to play a more attack minded role. :roll:  Parker's best attributes are defensive, not attacking. In his Charlton days he was better at attacking but now his game is different. 

I wish if Roeder would just let Parker defend and protect the defence, something which he did brilliantly last season. He should have never asked Parker to change his role in the team.

Just check how many goals he's scored during his career and you'll see what I mean.

So you use stats whenever it suits you? :roll:

To a degree, I concur. However, Parker's scored two goals so far in the league from midfield which is two more than Emre, plus that crucial goal against Watford in the League Cup. I think he is becoming a box-to-box midfielder, and if that's to the detriment of Emre's game, then I say drop Emre.

I knew you'd pick up on the goal threat part, I was going to delete that. :lol:

It was just another part of the Butt/Parker comparison that I think Parker has the edge on, even though it's irrelevent to this discussion.

Well, even putting that comment on one side, Butt is a superior player than Parker in all respects as a holding midfielder.

At this point in time I agree. I just think that Parker should be superior, now and for the future. Fuckwit didn't buy him for any other role did he? Emre clearly isn't a holding player, so if Roeder is picking Parker as his holding midfielder, he needs to make him play that way, rather than running around doing a whole bag of nothing.

I'm not sure why you think Parker should be superior to Butt in a role which is a natural one for Butt, but isn't a natural one for Parker. I really think you're over-rating Parker, Dave.

You mention Souness because he signed Parker. Well this is the same bloke who signed Luque, a player he claimed at the time was signed for the left side but someone many people believe is a striker, and is a player who can't fit into a standard 4-4-2. On that basis signing a player like this makes sense for Souness because he never wanted to use 4-4-2, did he? Well the natural conclusion to draw from that is that many of the players he signed weren't signed with a 4-4-2 in mind. Perhaps Parker is another one who doesn't fit into that standard 4-4-2, given that he has neither the attributes to be a holding midfielder or an effective attacking one in that setup. 

Most people, including professional pundits, two Newcastle managers, the Chelsea manager and the England manager think he's a holding midfielder. Whether it's natural or not, he's just not doing the job properly at the moment. That's why I blame the management for not coaching him correctly.

Agree to disagree. Not the first time. ;)

Parker is admired for his energy and commitment and imo that clouds the judgement of the people you mention. They can't see the wood for the trees. So yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. You think it's the coaching, I think it's a lack of ability on the part of the player.

To a degree, I concur. However, Parker's scored two goals so far in the league from midfield which is two more than Emre, plus that crucial goal against Watford in the League Cup. I think he is becoming a box-to-box midfielder, and if that's to the detriment of Emre's game, then I say drop Emre.

I'd be inclined to make the most of Emre rather than Parker.

exactly,

it should be Butt/Parker or Butt/Emre

Or even Butt/Dyer.

Parker is the problem. Can't believe you agree with an opinion of mine. Well done, Vicki.  :cool:

Parker just isn't the player that he was at Charlton, where he looked relaxed, positive and eager to get on the ball. He now looks a bit nervous, eager not to lose the ball rather than trying to move it on quickly. The extra pressure has got to him.

Having said that, even though there's not much to choose between him and Butt at the moment, Parker has the potential to play much better.

Guest Moe-Ali

Glenn needs to mould Parker into more of a Butt-type player

Or sell him and buy someone like Diop, who is far better and wouldn't cost as much.

Diop is a talent...but he isnt better than scottie.

Emre today was freed by an excelent Butt performance. He offers so much more when the Parker shackles are off.

Agreed. Emre was a completely different player when Parker went off.

We have problems here, so it is no wonder Parker looks edgy and not relaxed.  When we get a run going, things will even out for him.  It is unfortunate he has been injured and cannot be our regular Captain.  In and out of the side is no way to be a good leader.

I love scottie, he's one of the best DMC's in the game. I have nothing against him but

after watching us with parker up till he got injured and without parker after he got injured you could

see a huge difference in our game. We simply toyed with the league's third best team.

I've never seen Emre play like this, he usually plays like this especially when he has talented players among him,

players with pace, technique and talent. Butt actually did an amazing job defensively and he supported Emre big time,

he played the ball well up front he was basically a great leader in midfield, not just defensively but the way our offensive

game flows through him because of all the little thing he does, brilliant. When we have butt, dyer, martins, solano, nzogbia,

and I haven't even mentioned of duff and owen, we have a lot of talented technically gifted pacy players and suddenly our

team plays at a high pace. I absolutely loved that 2nd half when we played like this.

Emre used to play very defensively didn't or couldn't do much, basically he played like a coward.

Today when parker went down and we had a lot of pacy players his game turned upside down instantly.

It seemed to me that with the number of talented players that played today, and by talent I mean pacy, technically gifted

players like martins, dyer, nzogbia little bit solano and butt, emre enjoyed that and it motivated him, you could see the joy in him.

Are we better without parker ? This is a big dilemma, because he is a fan favourite and he's our captain.

Perhaps we can bench him till mid-season and then sell emre and use parker with butt, or get another player to go with parker.

Because I strongly believe that Emre and parker don't go together, parker doesn't compliment emre and vice  versa.

Your thoughts ?

What happened to Parker is a nightmare spell in his career: captaincy, nasty injury to opponents, worst premiership performance so far, doubts from the fans, etc.

It's pretty clear that he is not the real star of the game, because he can't cope well with the pressure. The only way for him to fulfill the captain band is to run like a mad cow, trying to exert himself everywhere unecessarily, and creates lots of errors to our team.

I really don't mind a 5-6m sales of Parker and get a decent DMC from the African nation.

Emre shows that he can do much better than Parker even when Parker is on his day.

Keefaz is right, Emre has been pretty woeful for a long time, today was the first time in ages he's had a good game (and he was excellent).

Both the team and Parker were doing fine until he went off and if the linesman hadn't been a complete dolt, we'd have been 1-0 up too. Today was about Martins, Dyer and Charlie and their pace, not the absence of Parker.

God even more blatant U turners

Parker was voted third best player in here just a few weeks ago

and to think he was slagged for telling you lot to **** off

he is not supposed to be a holding player this season, he's meant to be attacking

stick him in with Butt, Emre is shite as proved a lot today

Emre had an excellent game today, were you watching it????

yes I was

Mate do you sniff glue ?

Keefaz is right, Emre has been pretty woeful for a long time, today was the first time in ages he's had a good game (and he was excellent).

Both the team and Parker were doing fine until he went off and if the linesman hadn't been a complete dolt, we'd have been 1-0 up too. Today was about Martins, Dyer and Charlie and their pace, not the absence of Parker.

:roll:

Take a look at the league table.

Cast your mind back to the team performances of last season during the absence of Parker.

Dyer's presence is making everyone better. Martins and Emre especially.  When Duff and Parker return they'll reap the rewards as well. (By then we'll have added a couple of quality defenders too)

so right!

so right!

Must be shite having favourites......

Sell sell sell. If we can get our money back, we should get rid. We need a tim cahill type of midfielder who will score goals.

I'm hoping Emre alongside Butt and with Dyer in the team, will be able to provide that. We need our midfielders to score, especially on days like those Martins was having yesterday.

Guest Invicta_Toon

God even more blatant U turners

Parker was voted third best player in here just a few weeks ago

and to think he was slagged for telling you lot to **** off

he is not supposed to be a holding player this season, he's meant to be attacking

stick him in with Butt, Emre is shite as proved a lot today

Emre had an excellent game today, were you watching it????

yes I was

Mate do you sniff glue ?

are you seriously suggesting I hallucinated those things?

and if we're talking glue sniffing, take a look at your sig, you might be using more than me