Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

7M is a fair dollop for a left back like

Personally I don't think it is. Look at the massive difference it made down our leftside having someone of Enrique's quality. One of the big things we'll miss apart from his outstanding defensive ability, was his drive forward.

Yep. A good full back can be a massive weapon, especially if we want to be looking at different formations this season.

Personally I don't think it is. Look at the massive difference it made down our leftside having someone of Enrique's quality. One of the big things we'll miss apart from his outstanding defensive ability, was his drive forward.

Broken record as usual but fullbacks are more important than ever these days. Usually the most "involved" players in games, whether they're decent or not, in terms of touches/activity. I'd hope the one we get can play a bit, because Simmo can't and Enrique could.

While i'd prefer Cissokho i'd take Pieters first if he can cover at CB, as i think we're dangerously short there. If the past is anything to go by steven taylor will be out injured at some point, probably for a month or two. That said, if Pieters covered as 4th choice CB we'd need another LB anyway. Buy em both!

Means we can stil play Raylor at Left back occasionally :pow: :snod:

yeah, full backs are hugely important in the modern game, they often end up having some of the most touches in a match as they're the go to option for building from the back or when someone needs an easy pass when under pressure. if arsenal spent a massive fee on, say, leighton baines, it would transform their attacking play down the left.

Guest bimpy474

£7M is a fair dollop for us like i mean, you have to put how good Jose was out of your mind, hard i know but in the cold light of day £7m isn't exactly peanuts and the new player could be just as good but in a different style of play.

While I am sure Pieters is a good player in his own right, I think we desperately need full backs who can bring the ball out and bomb on. We resort to hoofing the ball long at the slightest pressure and Jose was a key component in helping us to build from the back. So I would like us to go the extra mile for Cissokho but I am 70% sure it will be Pieters.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Cheers lads.

Blame Rich.

He's a bad influence.

I hope im the first on the scene when the Cissokho link goes tits up :)

Guest bimpy474

While I am sure Pieters is a good player in his own right, I think we desperately need full backs who can bring the ball out and bomb on. We resort to hoofing the ball long at the slightest pressure and Jose was a key component in helping us to build from the back. So I would like us to go the extra mile for Cissokho but I am 70% sure it will be Pieters.

Pieters will be comfortable on the ball, its bred into Dutch players, i'm hoping like :D

If we do buy one of these lads then I'm pleasantly surprised we haven't done it on the cheap for a change.  And that's not because I want to see us spend money for the sake of it but rather because our obsession with frees and cheapies seems to get in the way of us signing players simply because they're good players.

Striker next please, someone good.

Pieters will be comfortable on the ball, its bred into Dutch players, i'm hoping like :D

The general consensus seems to be that he's better defensively than going forward but maybe that's just relative terms. Or speculative ill-informed bullshit, take your pick  :laugh:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Douglas saying Pieters has more potential than Cissokho. Think its obvious the name we will be reading tomorrow

Guest bimpy474

The general consensus seems to be that he's better defensively than going forward but maybe that's just relative terms. Or speculative ill-informed bullshit, take your pick  :laugh:

Wooooo i'm going for better defensively, always want a defender first, boring i know but old school me :)

Douglas saying Pieters has more potential than Cissokho. Think its obvious the name we will be reading tomorrow

Wont be too miffed if we get Pieters.

More concerned about a lack of a Striker

:sadnod:

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

I would be amazed if we didn't go for whom ever is the cheaper option, price will be more of as deciding factor than ability.

I'd much prefer Cissokho over Pieters, cracking player and very highly-rated. If they were both the same price this would be a no-brainer.

It would be a no brainer if you were only looking at the player's ability but I'll bet Cissokho will want at least 10k a week more than Pieters as well as the fee being higher. If that doesn't get the hierarchy running scared I don't know what will.

I'd much prefer Cissokho over Pieters, cracking player and very highly-rated. If they were both the same price this would be a no-brainer.

It would be a no brainer if you were only looking at the player's ability but I'll bet Cissokho will want at least 10k a week more than Pieters as well as the fee being higher. If that doesn't get the hierarchy running scared I don't know what will.

Sorry if it was a bit unclear, what I meant was that if all the monetary factors (wages, fees etc.) were held constant and we were looking at ability alone, then Cissokho should definitely be the one to pursue. We're talking about a player who was linked to Barcelona not too long ago and one that I thought would be 'too good' to want to sign for us.

If he wants to join us and is willing to accept a sensible wage (even if it would be higher than what Pieters would accept), then we should be busting a gut to get him through the door. 8 million euros for him would be a steal.