Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

I can't believe we've got a player of Cissokho's quality desperate to sign and we're pussyfooting about paying an extra couple of million (it's not as if we've just recieved this fee for our left back anyway...). If you didn't laugh you'd fucking cry.

There's nowt wrong with the first offer being a little bit on the low side as long as we're prepared to up the bid.

This also shows PSV we've got other targets which might make them more likely to accept.

Could also make Pieters think "fuck it, I'm not first-choice they can sod off". ;)

Of course. Lot more of a step up for him than Cissokho though so he's liable to be keener.

The offers were accepted. The players turned us down. (Gameiro/Gervinho, at least).

You'd have thought we'd have checked that bit out first. ;)

Overly negative for me mate, sorry. I can't buy into this "smokescreen" shite, it gets aired every year and it's always the same. If those players (or one of them, at least) had not received better offers they'd have been here. Fair enough if it's someone remotely questionable in terms of opposition/stature, but oil-rich PSG (who Gameiro supported) and Arsenal are both out of our league.

Guest bimpy474

The offers were accepted. The players turned us down. (Gameiro/Gervinho, at least).

Overly negative for me mate, sorry. I can't buy into this "smokescreen" s****, it gets aired every year and it's always the same. If those players (or one of them, at least) had not received better offers they'd have been here. Fair enough if it's someone remotely questionable in terms of opposition/stature, but oil-rich PSG (who Gameiro supported) and Arsenal are both out of our league.

And Gervinho was met and from what Pardew said they got the impression he didn't fancy us/ gave off the wrong signals, thats when we pulled out of his deal and dropped our interest.

Who says we didnt like?  Seems pretty reasonable to assume we were told that while we werent those players first choice they would sign for us if certain other clubs didnt come in.  But those clubs did come in (Arsenal and PSG).  I mean are you saying that we should only have made bids for players that we're absolutely sure we could get?

I think they knew fine well this would be rejected, it was done because of Barton, need to look active in the market because we're going to end up with some shite left back on the last day and no striker.

Overly negative for me mate, sorry. I can't buy into this "smokescreen" shite, it gets aired every year and it's always the same. If those players (or one of them, at least) had not received better offers they'd have been here. Fair enough if it's someone remotely questionable in terms of opposition/stature, but oil-rich PSG (who Gameiro supported) and Arsenal are both out of our league.

We've been reported to the authorities for contacting players this summer and I'll stick my neck out and say there's a fair chance we've been in contact with both Gameiro and Gervinho prior to making these bids. It doesn't tally with the way we've operated with other players. I am very cynical of these cunts though. Small fees I can understand but when it comes to any significant transfers, Mike Ashley's got deep pockets and short arms. 

I can't believe we've got a player of Cissokho's quality desperate to sign and we're pussyfooting about paying an extra couple of million (it's not as if we've just recieved this fee for our left back anyway...). If you didn't laugh you'd fucking cry.

There's nowt wrong with the first offer being a little bit on the low side as long as we're prepared to up the bid.

£6.6m isn't the worst bid either. There's still room to up it or up the Pieters bid if neither club takes the bait. It only falls down if we aren't prepared to go all the way and nail down one of the players even on the last day. That would be unacceptable.

Guest bimpy474

Overly negative for me mate, sorry. I can't buy into this "smokescreen" s****, it gets aired every year and it's always the same. If those players (or one of them, at least) had not received better offers they'd have been here. Fair enough if it's someone remotely questionable in terms of opposition/stature, but oil-rich PSG (who Gameiro supported) and Arsenal are both out of our league.

We've been reported to the authorities for contacting players this summer and I'll stick my neck out and say there's a fair chance we've been in contact with both Gameiro and Gervinho prior to making these bids. It doesn't tally with the way we've operated with other players. I am very cynical of these c***s though. Small fees I can understand but when it comes to any significant transfers, Mike Ashley's got deep pockets and short arms. 

He is without a doubt the tightest billionaire owner of a football club in the known universe, or is that too harsh.

Who says we didnt like?  Seems pretty reasonable to assume we were told that while we werent those players first choice they would sign for us if certain other clubs didnt come in.  But those clubs did come in (Arsenal and PSG).  I mean are you saying that we should only have made bids for players that we're absolutely sure we could get?

Why throw big money bids at players you know you've got no hope of signing??

Who would do a thing like that? ;)

I think they knew fine well this would be rejected, it was done because of Barton, need to look active in the market because we're going to end up with some shite left back on the last day and no striker.

The most plausible scenario of all

We've been reported to the authorities for contacting players this summer and I'll stick my neck out and say there's a fair chance we've been in contact with both Gameiro and Gervinho prior to making these bids. It doesn't tally with the way we've operated with other players. I am very cynical of these cunts though. Small fees I can understand but when it comes to any significant transfers, Mike Ashley's got deep pockets and short arms. 

I think the pre-contact goes without saying, happens at every level. Sound out the agent first and foremost, gauge the interest. I can see where you're coming from but I can't allow myself to start thinking that negatively, just can't happen. I do think we'll spend a fair bit by August 31st, although still not as much as we "should" have.

I think they knew fine well this would be rejected, it was done because of Barton, need to look active in the market because we're going to end up with some s**** left back on the last day and no striker.

Except this bid was first reported almost 2 weeks ago.

I think they knew fine well this would be rejected, it was done because of Barton, need to look active in the market because we're going to end up with some s**** left back on the last day and no striker.

Around the time Jose went.  Yet another defusing tactic now Bartons gone.

So Lyon President said he rejected this bid 2 weeks ago or today? I cannot be fucked scrolling through pages trying to find this article.

So Lyon President said he rejected this bid 2 weeks ago or today? I cannot be f***ed scrolling through pages trying to find this article.

RMC said 2 weeks ago we'd bid €8m. The representative of the Lyon president tonight confirms to the same source that Newcastle have made a bid of half of what they'd paid. Don't think it's unreasonable to assume this has been on the table a while.

I think the pre-contact goes without saying, happens at every level. Sound out the agent first and foremost, gauge the interest. I can see where you're coming from but I can't allow myself to start thinking that negatively, just can't happen. I do think we'll spend a fair bit by August 31st, although still not as much as we "should" have.

I used to be one of the most optimistic people on here a few years back. but I got my eyes well and truly opened when we went down. I'll happily admit I'm cynical of the cunts who run the gaff to a ridiculous extent. I neither trust them nor believe a word they come out with and their motives are purely financial and for the benefit of deceiving the fans. I wouldn't put anything past them and think this window has been planned to cut the wage bi, raise as much in transfer fees as possible whilst spending as little as possible to replace them.

Let's see where we are on 1st Sept. :thup: 

Why throw big money bids at players you know you've got no hope of signing??

Who would do a thing like that? ;)

But that's the point your repeatedly missing, theres nothing to say we didnt have a chance of signing them.

Guest Heneage

Realistically we should be happy with either as both are international level players. It's now just a case of where Ashley wants to put his investment.