L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11661_7117575,00.html

French outfit Sochaux are set to complain to Uefa about an alleged illegal approach by Newcastle for striker Modibo Maiga.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew is keen to bolster his front line before the close of the transfer window and he has been linked with a £10million move for the Mali international.

The 23-year-old is aware of Newcastle's interest and such is his desperation to push through a transfer he even went on strike.

However, Sochaux chairman Alexandre Lacombe claims the Premier League club have spoken to the striker without their permission and is set to report them to Europe's governing body.

"Newcastle are going on contacting our players despite our refusal," Lacombe told L'Est Republicain.

"So we will register a complaint with Uefa, telling them such behaviour is not fair play. It is provoking destabilisation."

£7 million is a good price for Maiga. Can see him working well with Ba.

I can't. :undecided:

I'm not sold on either of them at all yet.

I have faith in Ba. He's far from being one of the best strikers in the league, but he looked dangerous at West Ham last season. Maiga is a good player, he has his flaws (mainly his lack of consistency) but overall, was a very effective finisher last season.

it's gonna start getting pretty worrying if we haven't brought a striker in before fulham. i can see them just sacking it off and waiting til january, then bringing in someone totally average on loan.

If it gets to deadline day, or just before, we will go in for Macheda or loan.

Or maybe go back in for Stephen Ireland. Probably the plan all along.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Malian international striker Modibo Maiga and midfielder Kevin Anin remain in conflict with their club Sochaux after again missing training on Monday.

The duo missed Sochaux's 2-1 Ligue 1 win at Nancy on Sunday, with the Peugeot-backed club saying they were injured.

However, AFP understands that both players are at loggerheads with the Sochaux board over their refusal to let them move to England.

Maiga—who was Sochaux's joint-top scorer last season with 15 league goals—boycotted his side's 2-1 home defeat to Caen last weekend and was then left out of the squad for the Europa League tie with Metalist Kharkiv in Ukraine on Thursday.

He was recalled for the trip to Nancy, but did not turn up and gave no reason for his absence.

Local media are reporting that Sochaux president Alexandre Lacombe is prepared to lodge a complaint to UEFA regarding the conduct of Newcastle United, who still hope to sign Maiga despite Sochaux's insistence that the player is not for sale.

Meanwhile, Anin has been linked to Arsenal and is also keen to leave, with Sochaux coach Mecha Bazdarevic admitting to having doubts over the official reasons behind the 25-year-old's absence at Nancy.

"He apparently has a foot injury, although I have to say I have my doubts," he said. "I am not going to spin yarns, it's not clear what his situation is."

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sick of this s*** like, boring as hell.

I'd far prefer to not know of our interest in the first place. However, i suspect we have many more targets than this guy.

A well organised scouting team should do!

surely they need to realise theres no way back for him, not after the way he's acted, not sure any club in the world would put up with such antics and its kind of worrying it doesn't speak well of his character

Ben Arfa did the same thing.