L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Yesterday, Sochaux's president said to canal + that no one will leave his club until the end of the transfert window, the 31th of august...

His position is very clear, and you have to take into account that he has already sell one of their striker Ideye Brown and that their coach moved to Bordeaux.

If he let Maiga go to NUFC, they won't have decent strikers any more. So his position is quite understandable...

thing is how can they keep him after what he's done

Guest mimifrench

Yesterday, Sochaux's president said to canal + that no one will leave his club until the end of the transfert window, the 31th of august...

His position is very clear, and you have to take into account that he has already sell one of their striker Ideye Brown and that their coach moved to Bordeaux.

If he let Maiga go to NUFC, they won't have decent strikers any more. So his position is quite understandable...

Well if that's the case. NEXT!

Not totally convinced this lad is what we need anyway

Well, this player has potential and played well with Sochaux last season, but he signed last year a 4 year contract and already wants to move... He has to prove again what he is capable of doing this season.

I think it is too soon for him to leave

Say Best and Ameobi get 5-10 goals each, and Ba gets 10-15, that might be just about OK to go with any goals that come from the rest of the team.

I want us to buy a centre forward, but I think a LB is probably more important at this point. Hopefully get both.

(Not Bridge and Cole)

No excuse on this one, the clubs needs a striker just as much as a left back, goals are the cornerstone of success on the pitch and barring Ba none of our strikers are clinical or good enough to consistently aid the creation of goals through indirect play.

Best is still an unknown quantity in my opinion but definitely has the potential, I wouldn't want to have to rely on that potential. We need proven strikers. Full stop.

I think one of the reasons we are being so hesitant is that for £7-8m you don't buy proven strikers, there's no guarantee this Maiga will get goals in the premier. But then if that's all you are prepared to spend then you have to take an educated punt. If you do your homework it can pay off big. I'm sure WBA are more than happy with the daft fee they spent on Shane Long right now.

That risk comes with every single transfer. I agree, my point was more that we definitely need another striker, preferably one with excellent movement and pace, as well as a ball carrier ideally!

I thought every player had his price and you had to consider the financial health of the club, providing of course that every last penny of the Maiga money is reinvested in the club...

Look why can't these guys just identify a striker whose price they can match and get it over with. It's too late in the day to still be haggling.

If they want a cheaper striker then just go take a gamble with one from the lower leagues, or one of the less well known leagues in Europe.

Long is looking like he could be a gamble that pays off for West Brom. Go look for a similar kind of move.

Not looking like it's going to be this guy at all from the sounds of things. Move on.

You'd think they'd have noted we have barely looked like scoring from open play yet this season and not having anyone decent playing upfront is a major part of this. I'll be majorly fucked off if we don't buy a striker. Far more so than I would be if we got a cheapo LB in.

Sounds like no new striker then.

There better be.

There's absolutely no excuse for being in-profit and having Ameobi as 2nd choice 'proper striker' come September 1st.

We've made like £39m profit since January from transfers. You wouldn't f***ing know it.

There better be.

There's absolutely no excuse for being in-profit and having Ameobi as 2nd choice 'proper striker' come September 1st.

We've made like £39m profit since January from transfers. You wouldn't f***ing know it.

From transfers possibly, but we've no idea what actual profit has been made overall. By the look of our possible bids I would say we are looking at around £15m profit that we can put into the pot for the remaining transfers.

Gambling our season yet again. Has nobody told them that you can make that extra few million quid back and more by finishing higher up the table?

No wonder Liverpool paid 35m for Carroll.

I suppose we have enough time to try to get in for one more target. Can't see who we'd try for though. (Then again, I didn't even know Maiga existed until we bid for him.)

Missing out on all of Gameiro, Gervinho, Erding, Maiga... What fun this striker chase has been.

There better be.

From transfers possibly, but we've no idea what actual profit has been made overall. By the look of our possible bids I would say we are looking at around £15m profit that we can put into the pot for the remaining transfers.

That's great if you like buying penny shares and think it's a wheeze if you hit the jackpot. There's also an alternative method of investing in decent potential and backing it to produce a return.

I suppose we have enough time to try to get in for one more target. Can't see who we'd try for though. (Then again, I didn't even know Maiga existed until we bid for him.)

Missing out on all of Gameiro, Gervinho, Erding, Maiga... What fun this striker chase has been.

If they were taking this seriously, we wouldn't be in this position. We would have decided on a target, sought a fair evaluation and signed a striker we wanted at some point in the past three months.

This trolling around Ligue 1 like pushy used car salesmen doesn't suggest that this is a priority for them.

To be fair, it wouldn't be NUFC if we didn't fail to address at least one glaring need during the summer and had to drag ourselves through the season with utterly shit alternatives, with the drama culminating in January when it's "glaringly obvious we need a striker" yet we fail to get one yet again and everyone on here implodes.

There better be.

That's great if you like buying penny shares and think it's a wheeze if you hit the jackpot. There's also an alternative method of investing in decent potential and backing it to produce a return.

Ashley has apparently lost interest in investing. Make money and we have a chance it'll go towards players. Thank fuck for the Carroll windfall, otherwise we'd not be a million miles from Evertons ability to invest in players imho.