L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Is he about the same type of player like Adebayor? Or who would you who have seen him compare him to?

Been watching a bit of the french league, haven't seen much of him though tbh (not that i know of)

Is he about the same type of player like Adebayor? Or who would you who have seen him compare him to?

Been watching a bit of the french league, haven't seen much of him though tbh (not that i know of)

I suppose his movement could be compared to Adebayor's, but he's not as good as holding the ball up, or as good in the air.

He looks at his best (to me) turning with his back to goal and running at defenders. I suppose that is why he can play of the left of a front three, because of him mobility and dribbling ability. He's a good finisher, and gets himself in goal-scoring positions, which is exactly what we need imo. He's not exactly small, but will give us a great alternative to Ba and Best.

I suppose his movement could be compared to Adebayor's, but he's not as good as holding the ball up, or as good in the air.

He looks at his best (to me) turning with his back to goal and running at defenders. I suppose that is why he can play of the left of a front three, because of him mobility and dribbling ability. He's a good finisher, and gets himself in goal-scoring positions, which is exactly what we need imo. He's not exactly small, but will give us a great alternative to Ba and Best.

Cheers Colocho :) I thought he was tall like the eiffel tower?

Agree with most of this, except the heading part. For his height (1.85m) he is terrific in the air. Wins a lot of headers when attacking, and also scores the odd (well, quite a few actually) goal with his head.

Not that I'm an expert but from the clips he looks like the complete forward type.. Strong and powerful, good control, decent pace and that typical left-footed flair dribble/shooting/passing technique. He'd be a good foil for our other forwards imo.

He's received excellent service at Sochaux, especially from Martin and Boudebouz. He'll rely on Cabaye to play through balls, and Ben Arfa/another striker to create opportunities for him.

How does he compare to Gervinho?

Agree with most of this, except the heading part. For his height (1.85m) he is terrific in the air. Wins a lot of headers when attacking, and also scores the odd (well, quite a few actually) goal with his head.

His jumping ability and strength, as well as directional ability (in terms of headers) are all good. I don't believe I said he was poor in the air - I said he isn't as good as Adebayor...

Just don't feel he's the right kind of player for us at this moment. If we we're to bring in another player like this type he has to be better in every aspect as compared to best and ba. What we lack more of is a luiz suarez, andy johnson type. Little player with strenght and good close control running tirelessly around the box for a finish. Mostly just to get use of all the creativity we have around the midfield.

Just don't feel he's the right kind of player for us at this moment. If we we're to bring in another player like this type he has to be better in every aspect as compared to best and ba. What we lack more of is a luiz suarez, andy johnson type. Little player with strenght and good close control running tirelessly around the box for a finish. Mostly just to get use of all the creativity we have around the midfield.

Maiga isn't little, but he is mobile. He's also strong and good in the air.

Would rather have a player of his ilk than a 'little man'. Top quality Aguero/Suarez types are expensive and hard to come by.

was a surreal moment, reading that  ;D

Not that type of player from what i've read/understood.

Only ask because Gervinho seemed our number one target and wondered whether they were similar.

I forgive you! Nah seriously :) Was actually wondering the same the first time we were linked with him, had no idea and still dont know much more than that he doesn't seem to be like forhead from 3000BC

To be fair, I suppose they are relatively similar. Gervinho is quick, but he is feeble. That's why he played so far wide for Lille, and relied on pace, agility and trickery to get into goalscoring positions. I didn't want Gervinho from day one, and was actually quite pleased that he didn't sign for us.

Maiga combines strength and pace - if you can find a striker who has these attributes in the Prem, you're on to a winner. He's a good striker, certain that he'll be a success here.