L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

kenny wharton started out as a centre forward, whats your point ?

When?

youth and on first breaking into the reserves, he was quite the prolififc goalscorer.

i was going to use andy carroll as an example of someone who changed positions, rob lee, steve howey, it happens all the time, even later in careers (barry venison,phil neville) but some have to pigeon hole. according to the vast majority of what i've read and the limited amount of what i've seen santon is very comfortable on the left.

edit....bloody hell, i didn't realise kenny had played so many games for us, 290 according to wiki.

youth and on first breaking into the reserves, he was quite the prolififc goalscorer.

i was going to use andy carroll as an example of someone who changed positions, rob lee, steve howey, it happens all the time, even later in careers (barry venison,phil neville) but some have to pigeon hole. according to the vast majority of what i've read and the limited amount of what i've seen santon is very comfortable on the left.

edit....bloody hell, i didn't realise kenny had played so many games for us, 290 according to wiki.

When he started out he was a left winger.

Guest MrSundlofer

Why this week? Why not wait until Jan?

Maybe because he's off to the Africa Cup of Nations in January.. and we want to make sure he's our when he comes back.

When he started out he was a left winger.

not when i saw him for the reserves (yes i went to a lot of resaerves games back then), due to going to school with his cousin, who was a very good footballer as well aged 12, i even went to some youth games down at benwell.

not when i saw him for the reserves (yes i went to a lot of resaerves games back then), due to going to school with his cousin, who was a very good footballer as well aged 12, i even went to some youth games down at benwell.

I went to a lot of Kenny's games at all levels as I played in the same team at times, both 5 and 11 a side.  I also went to school and knocked about with him virtually every night.  I didn't go to many reserve games because he was secondary to watching our first team but I watched him play for the school and Newcastle boys (I think they played at Gosforth but it was a long time ago), a few reserve games and almost all of his 290 first team games both home and away.

I honestly don't remember him playing centre forward.

I have not read all posts in this tread, so sorry if it have been already mentioned.

Is he any good?

Is he one of those fast strikers we need, or another big dude?

I have noted that he score a lot of goals this year, but i am unsire about this lad.

I kind of wish we went for Cisse from Freiburg. Would suite us perfect imo.

I went to a lot of Kenny's games at all levels as I played in the same team at times, both 5 and 11 a side.  I also went to school and knocked about with him virtually every night.  I didn't go to many reserve games because he was secondary to watching our first team but I watched him play for the school and Newcastle boys (I think they played at Gosforth but it was a long time ago), a few reserve games and almost all of his 290 first team games both home and away.

I honestly don't remember him playing centre forward.

i'm sure i can, think he was the youth teams leading scorer by quite a way aswell. even if i'm wrong on that my point still stands about players being pigeon holed by many because of where people are used to them playing when many players are far more adaptable than they are given credit for. the silliness of saying a player's mainly right footed so should play on the right is galling.

• 2 weeks later...

Won't be much help during ACN but would be good news none the less.

A forward selection of Ba, Best, Maiga and Ben Arfa looks quality, then we have Sammy, Shola and Vuckic in case of extreme emergency. Nice.

Add a couple of defenders into the mix (a quality full back and a good centre back and we are cooking with gas).