L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

You have to wonder what could have been if we signed this lad, he took a while to settle in while Ba was also, how this season could have started a lot differently and not in a good way due to us actually managing to close a deal for another forward.

Best would probably be 4th choice for a start behind Shola  :fool:,  Ba and Maiga.

We do still need another forward though.

Yeh that might be the case... Bit of a conundrum for us tho': If he plays well and scores hat loads the price goes up and we won't move for him, if he plays cack aand does nothing we'll lose interest.... Happy days..LOL

Guest mimifrench

Saw the match yesterday, Sochaux vs Toulouse, and i reckon he was class : he's very quick, good "head game"...

But Maiga said in the interview after the match that he wanted to prove his value, to show his detractors they were wrong (about booing him) and so he said that he is 100% with Sochaux now.

Not sure his boss let him leave in January...

Guest mimifrench

In fact, the exact words he said were : " It is a good answer for those who don't know football. It will allow them to shut up their big mouth (!). And it's far away from being finished".

Surely, he's not going to have a lot of friends now among the Sochaux supporters...

Something is definitely wrong with him.   

In fact, the exact words he said were : " It is a good answer for those who don't know football. It will allow them to shut up their big mouth (!). And it's far away from being finished".

Surely, he's not going to have a lot of friends now among the Sochaux supporters...

Hopefully that means his move to Newcastle is far from finished and he will be allowed to come here, although I don't think the price will still be £7m.

Guest mimifrench

Hopefully that means his move to Newcastle is far from finished and he will be allowed to come here, although I don't think the price will still be £7m.

To my mind, by that he meant he'll continue to score many goals in the future just to prove them wrong.

But to speak like that about his supporters is not good considering it's him who almost went on strike and brought problems... 

"Newcastle? They are a very good club, I will not finish my career in Sochaux if I am scoring every week - that is the reality of football. I have not invented that!

"At the moment I am here and scoring goals. I do not know when the transfer window opens what there will be. It depends also on the club, but in the near future I want to ply my trade in another top league. It is a genuine ambition, I will accept being booed for that!"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11095_7220280,00.html?

"Newcastle? They are a very good club, I will not finish my career in Sochaux if I am scoring every week - that is the reality of football. I have not invented that!

"At the moment I am here and scoring goals. I do not know when the transfer window opens what there will be. It depends also on the club, but in the near future I want to ply my trade in another top league. It is a genuine ambition, I will accept being booed for that!"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11095_7220280,00.html?

In short, "come and get me".

To my mind, by that he meant he'll continue to score many goals in the future just to prove them wrong.

But to speak like that about his supporters is not good considering it's him who almost went on strike and brought problems... 

Read Baggio's quotes above. Looks like i can read your French players better than you  :laugh:

It's a strange situation, back in the summer we felt we were doomed if we didn't get a quality striker in despite bringing in Ba yet 7 games in we're talking about how we can accommodate Ben Arfa in what looks like a very good strike partnership even if it is early days of Ba and Best.

When you look at the pair of them since being in the Premiership their records are excellent, Ba has 11 in 18 and Best has 9 in 17 but when can they be thought of as quality strikers in this division rather than average players in good form? When you consider Carroll was considered to be worth £35 million based on a record of 11 in 19 in the Premiership it makes you wonder how good a pairing we've currently got.

Personally I think the obvious weakness in our starting 11 is right back and would prefer that position to be our main target in January.

Guest mimifrench

Read Baggio's quotes above. Looks like i can read your French players better than you  :laugh:

He is not French  :razz:

No seriously, i keep thinking that when he said "it's far away from being finished", he only spoke about scoring goals with Sochaux.

Anyway, i still think Newcastle United can easily get a better forward than him !

What do you think about Arsenal's player Chamack (on loan) ? I don't like him particularly but he could succeed in NUFC...

Personally I think the obvious weakness in our starting 11 is right back and would prefer that position to be our main target in January.

Why? We have Santon, one of the most promising right-backs in the world...

It's a strange situation, back in the summer we felt we were doomed if we didn't get a quality striker in despite bringing in Ba yet 7 games in we're talking about how we can accommodate Ben Arfa in what looks like a very good strike partnership even if it is early days of Ba and Best.

When you look at the pair of them since being in the Premiership their records are excellent, Ba has 11 in 18 and Best has 9 in 17 but when can they be thought of as quality strikers in this division rather than average players in good form? When you consider Carroll was considered to be worth £35 million based on a record of 11 in 19 in the Premiership it makes you wonder how good a pairing we've currently got.

I said the same thing yesterday, ATM a full back is a more pressing concern, right or left will do as Santon can operate on either side. It wouldn't surprise me if we went back in for Pieters or M'bengue in January. I think Ba is the real deal as a striker, his record would seem to back that up. I also think Best can continue to score goals, but against better teams we'll feel it more when he misses chances because he won't get so many. We should always be looking to improve on what we've got.

No seriously, i keep thinking that when he said "it's far away from being finished", he only spoke about scoring goals with Sochaux.

Anyway, i still think Newcastle United can easily get a better forward than him !

What do you think about Arsenal's player Chamack (on loan) ? I don't like him particularly but he could succeed in NUFC...

Chamakh has looked short of confidence for Arsenal. I would prefer Maiga as he is clearly a big head and won't have such problems. Self confidence will help him do well in a new country.

Guest mimifrench

Chamakh has looked short of confidence for Arsenal. I would prefer Maiga as he is clearly a big head and won't have such problems. Self confidence will help him do well in a new country.

He surely is, but he's also a big cretin from what i've seen of him so far...