Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/844027/Rob-Elliot-Newcastle-News-Rafa-Benitez-Mike-Ashley-Joey-Barton

Rob Elliot SLAMS Newcastle's increasing negativity

ROB ELLIOT has hit out at the growing negativity gripping troubled Newcastle.

By PETER EDWARDS

PUBLISHED: 22:30, Mon, Aug 21, 2017

And the goalkeeper claims the flak is affecting the Toon players who have endured a nightmare start to life back in the Premier League.

Newcastle are goalless and pointless after two games with manager Rafa Benitez increasingly frustrated at the lack of backing he has received from owner Mike Ashley.

The uneasy relationship between the pair is impacting on the dressing room and fans are already fearing a relegation scrap.

Elliot admits gloom and uncertainty has replaced the excitement of promotion.

“It feels like the joy and unbelievable feeling of coming up has been shrouded since then,” he said. “It seems to have gone away very quickly, before we even kicked a ball.

“That’s out of our hands and the manager’s. The only thing we can do is make sure we do the right things on the pitch and work hard in training.”

Outspoken former Toon midfielder Joey Barton has accused Benitez of moaning too much and having too little faith in his squad.

While Elliot won’t criticise his manager, he feels Newcastle’s critics are wrong to write them off just two games into the season.

“With the stories flying around saying, ‘We haven’t got enough’, I don’t think it’s very fair on the squad. They did a terrific job last year and we’ve brought in some good players.

“We just wanted it to be about looking forward to the Premier League season. Unfortunately, it’s not been like that.

“Playing for Newcastle isn’t like playing for other clubs. The pressure and expectation that comes with it, you’ve got to be able to handle that. We have to stay strong as a group.”

The 1-0 defeat at fellow Premier League newcomers Huddersfield means the Magpies have lost their opening two top-flight games for the first time since 1999 under Ruud Gullit.

Like Benitez, however, Elliot insists it is far too early to press the panic button.

“We didn’t want to start off with two defeats but we did that last year and won the league,” he said.

“I’m not saying we’re going to win the league but I don’t think it means the world’s coming to an end and we have to look with despair.

“I just think we need to gel, get settled and push on for ourselves.”

Sound. Glad we've still got someone in the squad representing the 'must peddle all the bullshit clichés' line. Fuck off and move back to Charlton if you can't handle the WILD EXPECTATIONS of finishing comfortably above the relegation zone.

Guest firetotheworks

The way you trip over yourself to defend the bloke is laughable like FS. He's not positive at all, he's a negative, Pardew sympathising prick with no clue whatsoever of what it should mean to be a Newcastle player or a footballer with any aspirations at all. 

How dare he attempt to make positive comments regarding the club. More Sissoko types for me please.

He's saying the negative atmosphere is neither the players or Rafas fault, none of it's positive you absolute womble. That leaves us or Ashley the source of this discontent from his POV. Who do you think he's having a dig at? The honest interview giving owner, or the deluded Geordie nation?

Blobs a grade A cunt.

Actually aye, I misread that tbf.

Still, he's said nowt wrong. Criticise his performances on the pitch by all means, no need to rage against meaningless media talk.

His distribution is normally his only asset. That was shite on Sunday aswell. So he's still a cunt.

Still, he's said nowt wrong. Criticise his performances on the pitch by all means, no need to rage against meaningless media talk.

His distribution is normally his only asset. That was s**** on Sunday aswell. So he's still a c***.

It's never been as asset, his distribution has always been absolutely appalling.

His distribution is normally his only asset. That was s**** on Sunday aswell. So he's still a c***.

It's never been as asset, his distribution has always been absolutely appalling.

Maybe not his kicking, but he can throw a size five football like a cricket ball. Usually it's accurate over distance anarl.

• 2 weeks later...

http://trainingground.guru/articles/harts-distribution-worst-in-premier-league-so-far

WEST HAM's Joe Hart has the worst distribution performance of any goalkeeper in the Premier League this season, according to exclusive analysis conducted by the World in Motion agency.

Brazilian Ederson - the man who has replaced Hart at his parent club, Manchester City - tops the table, which you can see in full below.

City boss Pep Guardiola moved Hart out on loan last summer because his distribution was not deemed good enough for the Spaniard’s attacking style of play.

Distribution is becoming an increasingly important facet for keepers in the Premier League, yet Sam Jackson, World in Motion’s Head of Research & Analytics, says there has not been an accurate way to analyse it up to now.

“Typically-used methods for rating goalkeeper distribution lack context,” Jackson told TGG. “Pass accuracy percentage rewarded keepers who played short, easy passes, while long pass accuracy percentage was skewed in favour of those who had target men to hit.

“Pressure and different types of distribution have generally been ignored.”

So Jackson looked at clips of each distribution by keepers in the Premier League this season and broke them down into a risk v reward scenario of how many opponents were bypassed v accuracy.

To do this he counted the number of opponents bypassed by each distribution, recorded where the ball was heading (accuracy) on a five-point-scale and recorded the pressure the keeper was under at the time.

Ederson came top of the list, with a score of 0.4838, with Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois a close second with 0.4825 and Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet third with 0.4780.

Hart was last, with Jack Butland of Stoke in 19th and Wayne Hennessey of Crystal Palace in 18th. The full table is at the bottom of the page.

Overall conclusions were that goal kicks were very inefficient in terms of output while thrown distribution was highly effective.

Name Distributions Score

1. Ederson (Man City) 59 0.4838

2. Courtois (Chelsea) 123 0.4825

3. Mignolet (Liverpool) 106 0.4780

4. Lloris (Tottenham) 82 0.4756

5. Lossi (Huddersfield) 81 0.4747

6. Cech (Arsenal) 73 0.4714

7. Pickford (Everton) 174 0.4705

8. Forster (Southampton) 50 0.4696

9. Fabianski (Swansea) 67 0.4684

10. Gomes (Watford) 100 0.4678

11. De Gea (Man Utd) 74 0.4566

12. Ryan (Brighton) 78 0.4565

13. Begovic (Bournemouth) 69 0.4544

14. Heaton (Burnley) 68 0.4495

15. Foster (West Brom) 53 0.4476

16. Schmeichel (Leicester) 68 0.4435

17. Elliott (Newcastle) 72 0.4435

18. Hennessey (Crystal Palace) 78 0.4422

19. Butland (Stoke City) 68 0.4381

20. Hart (West Ham) 85 0.4290

G7KkuNY.jpg

Elliot's distribution, kick-wise, has been largely horrible but he does have a good throw on him. It's the only attribute of his I've noticed, aside from a couple of good saves. The kicking though, urgh. I swear each game I've watched the camera has panned to him at least twice shaking his head after just booting it out of play.

Guest firetotheworks

Tbf, when did we last have a 'keeper with good distribution? Even Given went through spells of being absolutely terrible at it.

Tbf, when did we last have a 'keeper with good distribution? Even Given went through spells of being absolutely terrible at it.

The others generally had something else to recommend them though.  We're talking about his only supposed useful quality and it turns out he's shit at it.