Scunthorpe 1 - 2 Newcastle (AET - CC) - 25/08/11 - post-match reaction from pg66

Dave

Great result in the end. Shitting it for extended periods! Toon Army was fantastic!

Krul            - 8 - Excellent saves and command of his area. Kicking needs work

Simpson     - 3 - Shocking. In the literal sense of the word

Coloccini     - 8 - Captain's performance. Went to sleep in a couple of instances. He recovered well and it didn't cost us

S Taylor     - 9 - Thought he was absolutely outstanding when he came on. Mopped up literally every single ball that came his way. Drove the team forward

R Taylor     - 6 - Beautiful goal again. Clearly not an answer to LB issues

Loven        - 5 - Why on earth is he on the right side of midfield? Missed a few sitters

Gosling      - 7 - Put himself about the pitch. Needs to play more competitive matches. Unlucky not to have more goalscoring chances. Got forward well a la Nolan

Cabaye      - 8 - Here, there, every f***ing where! Great to see him well up for the new challenge. Seems to have taken well to his new club

Marveaux  - 7 - Bright in spells. Some lovely deft touches. Needs games

Best          - 7 - Toiled up front and should have scored. Not bad

Ba             - 4 - Apart from a few nice touches early on, offered nothing

Ameobi     - 9 - Done the lot. Seems to have a knack for end-product. Plays with wonderful drive and enthusiasm. Belter of a goal. Long may it continue

Vuckic       - 8 - Full of running. Looks like a proper footballer. Intelligent and determined to do well

Phew!  :clap:

Generous for Colo, was his poor clearance that eventually cost us the goal, agree more with Jonny Hall re Colo

Very generous, I'd say. It was a very physical encounter and it looked like he wasn't relishing it. He produced some good interceptions as usual, but it wasn't his night.

And it was anything but a captain's performance. The back four looked disorganised.

Naah. I initially thought he deserved a 7, but decided to bump it up to an 8 due to the fact that, on more than one occasion, he tried to bring the ball out of defence himself, or showed for the ball carrier and became an outlet when we were under the cosh. It looked like he had realized that it would be one of those nights for him, and played a different game. When you realize your own failings, and find an alternative way of dealing with it, imo, means you've done your job as team captain. That lung busting raid down their left flank told what he's all about. In my view anyway.

It actually wasn't a penalty, but you see them given for that so often that I'm annoyed we didn't get it.

The bookings were stupid, Cabaye's was nothing and they had a few challenges that deserved cards.

How?

IMO he hardly touched Taylor and he went down looking for a penalty. I hate to see those given, it's basically a penalty for running behind you opponent.

Still, they are usually given so as I said we probably should have had it.

The replay angle wasn't the best, but when you watch it full speed there was definitely a push/nudge on Taylor, enough to send him off his stride.

Agree with both of you. Two hands on him with no attempt at the ball, the defender was miles away. Taylor might have gone down early, but he had a goalscoring opportunity and was knocked off his stride. Another cast-iron penalty we've been denied. 

Guest bimpy474

Leftie I think?

Sammy is defo leftie, in the interview after the match Krully said Sammy's right is usually just for show or something like that.

Guest bimpy474

Leftie I think?

Decent finish then :lol:

Definately left footed and this was alluded to in his post match interview when Tim Krul described his right foot as his swinger.

Beat me to it, tip my hat sir :)

Great goal then, was good enought when I thought he was a righty.

It was a cracker and you could tell he's a leftie when he tried to take a chance with his left at the other end in the 1st period of extra time with his left foot when using his right would hve been easier.

It was a cracker and you could tell he's a leftie when he tried to take a chance with his left at the other end in the 1st period of extra time with his left foot when using his right would hve been easier.

Takes me ages to notice stuff like that :lol:

Also very good sign that he was even prepared to have a crack, much better players have just tried to get back on their stronger foot.

Also very good sign that he was even prepared to have a crack, much better players have just tried to get back on their stronger foot.

His brother always tries to shift it onto his weaker foot i find like.

Guest bimpy474

Which one of Shola's left feet do you mean ?  :lol:

Which one of Shola's left feet do you mean ?  :lol:

He He.

Just watch him when he gets  run on a goal he always tries to cut back on the defender onto his left foot and loses control.

Guest bimpy474

Which one of Shola's left feet do you mean ?  :lol:

He He.

Just watch him when he gets  run on a goal he always tries to cut back on the defender onto his left foot and loses control.

Oh aye, and then falls over :D