Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

:lol: He's a 22-year old left back who's still maturing. The only reason people are obsessing over him is because everyone else in the first XI is playing very well and there's two young left backs behind him. No matter who we start there's going to be growing pains.

:lol: He's a 22-year old left back who's still maturing. The only reason people are obsessing over him is because everyone else in the first XI is playing very well and there's two young left backs behind him. No matter who we start there's going to be growing pains.

That's an oversimplification. The reason we're "obsessing" over him is because he has never had a standout performance, he never delivers anything in the attacking third and he is prone to costly errors at the back. Furthermore he isn't showing much promise being who he is and considering his past. If he isn't delivering by the standards of the rest of the XI there is no reason to keep him there while there are two other promising left backs among our ranks. Simple as.

That's an oversimplification. The reason we're "obsessing" over him is because he has never had a standout performance, he never delivers anything in the attacking third and he is prone to costly errors at the back. Furthermore he isn't showing much promise being who he is and considering his past. If he isn't delivering by the standards of the rest of the XI there is no reason to keep him there while there are two other promising left backs among our ranks. Simple as.

It's not really, people over react to every mistake he makes because he's the one still developing. There's no point giving up on him because of a few mistakes. I don't think there's another player more scrutinized in our entire team.

Because I think Mbiwa is a better player even though left-back isn't his first-choice position and he didn't deserve to be left out in the first place. Has shown he can play well at left or right back.

Nothing I have seen suggests he`s better than Haidara at LB. If he doesn`t deserve to be left out then surely one of our CBs needs to make way for him ?

As for Santon I like him for his loyalty, his steady 7/10 performances and his potential but he never plays a 10/10. Yesterdays pass was just just plain stupid that led to there goal.

It's not really, people over react to every mistake he makes because he's the one still developing. There's no point giving up on him because of a few mistakes. I don't think there's another player more scrutinized in our entire team.

That's because many of the mistakes he makes lead to goal's conceded, either when he gives the ball away (like yesterday) or when we're attacked down our left and he looks lost at sea. In a team that's generally playing very well the weaker links are always going to get more scrutiny.

There's a good player in there trying to get out, but his first responsibility is as a defender and that is by far and away his weakest area.

I wonder of all the goals we've conceded this season how many have originated from down his side, or one of his howlers, it feels like a lot.

Because I think Mbiwa is a better player even though left-back isn't his first-choice position and he didn't deserve to be left out in the first place. Has shown he can play well at left or right back.

Apart from the Everton game Mbiwa has been one of our best defenders (Iron Mike not included naturally!)

The last time Yanga-Mbiwa played at LB he got destroyed by Navas and Dummett had to come in to stop the destruction.

No thanks.

As for Santon, i know he's still young but he's really annoying me every time i defend him he does something insanely stupid. :anguish:

Wouldn't mind Haidara coming in and seeing what he can do.... if he can't hack it against Palace and Stoke he might as well pack his bags.

The last time Yanga-Mbiwa played at LB he got destroyed by Navas and Dummett had to come in to stop the destruction.

No thanks.

As for Santon, i know he's still young but he's really annoying me every time i defend him he does something insanely stupid. :anguish:

Wouldn't mind Haidara coming in and seeing what he can do.... if he can't hack it against Palace and Stoke he might as well pack his bags.

Mbiwa had a good game there v Arsenal last season. Using 45 minutes in a game we were overran against a player looking to make an impression on his home debut is harsh.

It's time Haidara had a run of games.

This, Santon made a horrendous rick yesterday, being dropped could do him the world of good in the longer term, by making him buckle down/work on his game a bit, which would be good because there is a lot to work with I reckon.