Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Some of these signings.... I don't get it. How are you getting them so cheap? Ben Arfa £5m? Santon £4-5m? Cabaye £4m?!

Of course, time will tell how these new players do but on the face of it, the actual incoming business you've done has been nothing short of outstanding.

Young players as well.

You make it sound like we know what we are doing

If these deals are anything to go by, you know exactly what you're doing.

You run the risk of upsetting some posters Neil. Ashley and Co are c***s and there's no way past that, all these class signings must be some kind of accident or - ah got it.. they'll sell for more.

I think you'll struggle to find anyone who is unhappy with the signings we've made. It's the gaping holes in the squad and lack of willing to push the club as far as possible that pisses people off.

If we get a striker (and I think we will), not sure where the gaping hole is.

i'll start you off, centre half

Hardly gaping tbf.

You don't think 2 fit CBs is gaping?! :lol:

So we've had a gaping hole for less than a week then, somebody hit the panic button! :lol:

Seriously though how many centre backs do we expect to have in a squad of an acceptable quality that will be happy to be just squad players? We've got Coloccini, Williamson, Taylor and Kadar which I think is enough, if the club don't think Kadar is good enough then get rid and get in a replacement but until then he should be given a chance.

Not much point of having an academy if we're never going to have faith in them.

It'd help if more than two in your list were available like.

And alpal, to me it's a soon-to-be gaping hole. Don't think we can expect Taylor and Colo to play every single game and it sounds like Williamson could be out for a while. Quite a problem to me.

So how many centre backs do you think a team should have in their 25 man squad?

Four. Kadar doesn't count.

Why doesn't he count?

Some of these signings.... I don't get it. How are you getting them so cheap? Ben Arfa £5m? Santon £4-5m? Cabaye £4m?!

Of course, time will tell how these new players do but on the face of it, the actual incoming business you've done has been nothing short of outstanding.

Young players as well.

You run the risk of upsetting some posters Neil. Ashley and Co are c***s and there's no way past that, all these class signings must be some kind of accident or - ah got it.. they'll sell for more.

I think you'll struggle to find anyone who is unhappy with the signings we've made. It's the gaping holes in the squad and lack of willing to push the club as far as possible that pisses people off.

Hardly gaping tbf.

So we've had a gaping hole for less than a week then, somebody hit the panic button! :lol:

Seriously though how many centre backs do we expect to have in a squad of an acceptable quality that will be happy to be just squad players? We've got Coloccini, Williamson, Taylor and Kadar which I think is enough, if the club don't think Kadar is good enough then get rid and get in a replacement but until then he should be given a chance.

And alpal, to me it's a soon-to-be gaping hole. Don't think we can expect Taylor and Colo to play every single game and it sounds like Williamson could be out for a while. Quite a problem to me.

Why doesn't he count?

Doesn't count in 25 man squad due to age/homegrown.

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

Why doesn't he count?

So we should have 5 centre backs at the club and expect to keep them all happy?

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

Why doesn't he count?

Because we haven't seen him in god knows how long :lol:

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

I'm not sure Kadar is good backup. He seems to be incapable of staying fit for more than three games in a row.

If Pardew thinks he isn't up to it then get rid of him and replace him, until then if he's here then he has to be given the opportunity to play otherwise it was a complete waste of time signing players like that if we're not going to give them a chance.

I wanted a centre back at the beginning of the summer btw, not because I thought we had a gaping hole there but because I see it as an area I'd like to see us improve on.

That's the point I was making, if it is about improving the team/squad, then that's relative and a never ending possibility as even the best teams can be improved (for instance even Barcelona an be improved if they get a world class keeper). Improvement is different from 'gaping hole'. I agree that our CB depth/back up can be improved but it's not a 'gaping hole' at least not for me

Guest bimpy474

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

Why doesn't he count?

Homegrown and age are separate, if he's under 21, no need to name him and he doesn't need to be homegrown, if he's over 21 he has to be named, Kadar can be counted as homegrown as has been here for 3 years as a youthie.

Kadar's always injured, you just know we'll end up seeing Perch, Simpson and even Ryan Taylor back in central defence at some point this year.

TOUCH WOOD massively but Colo's got a good fitness record for us thankfully.  Kadar seems to be injured a lot and the other 2 are prone to their niggles.

Guest bimpy474

Kadar's always injured, you just know we'll end up seeing Perch, Simpson and even Ryan Taylor back in central defence at some point this year.

TOUCH WOOD massively but Colo's got a good fitness record for us thankfully.  Kadar seems to be injured a lot and the other 2 are prone to their niggles.

I think its Perch as the cover myself.......um....ut-o.

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

Why doesn't he count?

Ok but surely Pardew has seen him (at least in training) and if he thinks Kadar is good enough for 4th choice cover, then that's fine with me.

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

Why doesn't he count?

Because 4 centre backs was enough? How many appearances did Campbell who I considered as 4th choice make last season?

Guest CheickMansour

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

I'm not sure Kadar is good backup. He seems to be incapable of staying fit for more than three games in a row.

If Pardew thinks he isn't up to it then get rid of him and replace him, until then if he's here then he has to be given the opportunity to play otherwise it was a complete waste of time signing players like that if we're not going to give them a chance.

I wanted a centre back at the beginning of the summer btw, not because I thought we had a gaping hole there but because I see it as an area I'd like to see us improve on.

I agree with that, but my point was that he isn't a reliable backup.

Yes we should give him opportunities, but since he's constantly recovering from some injury or another, I'd prefer someone else as a reserve. Otherwise we might end up in a situation where our first choice centre-backs are injured and we have no-one to turn to. In that sense, centre-back is still a 'gaping hole' in the squad.

Guest bimpy474

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

Why doesn't he count?

Because 4 centre backs was enough? How many appearances did Campbell who I considered as 4th choice make last season?

At Stoke, when we changed our whole system for a throw in.....other than that.........dunno.

Howay then, where is Kadar?

No sign of him at Scunthorpe, despite Williamson's injury he was nowhere near the Fulham game.

Chronicle article on him today. Has basically been told he has to get his arse out if he wants to save his career.

Guest bimpy474

No sign of him at Scunthorpe, despite Williamson's injury he was nowhere near the Fulham game.

From whats being said, Pardew not impressed by him, attitude wise i think because Ryder reckons he has a lot to prove and needs to knuckle down.

Young players as well.

Hardly gaping tbf.

Why doesn't he count?

We were actually quite lucky (for us) with injuries in that position last season.  Colo was just about ever-present and Taylor and Williamson were rarely injured at the same time.  We might get that lucky again, we might not.  Pardew's already talked about Perch covering back there this year.

I have no idea where he is, maybe he's got a knock? Who knows.

The point I'm making is that there are only so many players you can keep happy for any position and I think 4 is enough, if the club don't rate Kadar then replace him and move him on but until then he has to be considered as part of the squad.

Personally I'd have been happy for a versatile player like O'Shea to come here simply because he can fill numerous positions if we're desperate, but 5 specialised centre backs or strikers is too much IMO.

The point I'm making is that there are only so many players you can keep happy for any position and I think 4 is enough, if the club don't rate Kadar then replace him and move him on but until then he has to be considered as part of the squad.

Personally I'd have been happy for a versatile player like O'Shea to come here simply because he can fill numerous positions if we're desperate, but 5 specialised centre backs or strikers is too much IMO.

Aye but O'Shea would never have came here to be some kind of versatile sub.

Baggio is right. While in theory of course everyone would like to have 5 spiffing CB's to cover every eventuality, keeping them all happy sitting on the bench is just not going to happen in the real world. Maybe we'll get someone in on loan, Pardew did say it would have to be looked at.

Aye but O'Shea would never have came here to be some kind of versatile sub.

He'd have been first choice right back though and we could have shuffled him around when we needed too.

It wouldn't have had to be him but someone with his versatility would have been great.

http://www.gifgifgifgifgif.com/gif/11110.gif

http://www.gifgifgifgifgif.com/gif/6125.gif

Get in, hope he is match fit. Now for a bloody striker and Cisso...

... http://www.jappleng.com/jSpot/Sekai/gallery/general-images-a38/okay-meme-face-t10150.jpg

No, fuck it!

http://www.gifgifgifgifgif.com/gif/2350.gif