Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

The official match report said he came of as a precaution.

Santon came off just before the 60 minute mark as a precaution after picking up a minor knock to the ankle but he looked fit and strong throughout while Gutierrez was visibly sharper then he had been in his previous outing, against West Ham's under-21s last week.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/Match/Report/ReservesReport/0,,10278~4392126,00.html

@CraigHope_DM: Davide Santon suffers injury setback in training-ground game with Gateshead. Jonas Gutierrez comes through okay. More to follow @MailSport

Too injury prone.

He was injury prone when we bought him, that was why he was relatively cheap and no one else was willing to take a punt on him.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be happy to see him back in the team at LB if it means Dummett moving central.

Hell even if Dummett isn't moved central.

Dummett looks a prospect at CB, he's not good enough on the ball to be a modern full back. He's also miles better than Williamson in the middle so should be playing there regardless.

Dummett has some attributes to be a CB, he's athletic and fairly quick and he's tough enough in the tackle. Santon is our best LB by miles.

Really? I prefer Haidara.

Haidara is better going forward than Dummett and Santon but isn't a better defender and a Left backs primary role is to defend.

Haidara gets forward and leaves acres of space in behind him which when he's played other teams have exploited.

Dummett has some attributes to be a CB, he's athletic and fairly quick and he's tough enough in the tackle. Santon is our best LB by miles.

Haidara is better going forward than Dummett and Santon but isn't a better defender and a Left backs primary role is to defend.

Haidara gets forward and leaves acres of space in behind him which when he's played other teams have exploited.

Then it's Dummet for you. Personally I think Haidara is a decent defender (better than Santon and slightly inferior to Dummet possibly) and the best of the three going forward. Santon's problem is not using his left foot at all.

Dummet has to go into the middle, Willo is such a liability and when he plays the nerves spread like wildfire throughout the defense....

Dummet middle, haidara or davide LB, don't care which of them tbh

Then it's Dummet for you. Personally I think Haidara is a decent defender (better than Santon and slightly inferior to Dummet possibly) and the best of the three going forward. Santon's problem is not using his left foot at all.

It's a strange one as Ando would say re Santon.

He gets forward but always has to cut inside due to his lack of a left foot, yet when he's played right back and you expect him to go outside and cross with his right he has still cut in.

He looks more comfortable at left back than right back despite him being right footed.

Dummet has to go into the middle, Willo is such a liability and when he plays the nerves spread like wildfire throughout the defense....

This but with Santon rather than Haidara who I think lacks discipline in getting back and doesn't yet know when it's best to stay back or get forward.

It'll come mind.

This but with Santon rather than Haidara who I think lacks discipline in getting back and doesn't yet know when it's best to stay back or get forward.

It'll come mind.

I can still remember a lot of us moaning about Davide "sauntering" back to his position not so long ago... The two of them are pretty close tbh

It'll come mind.

I can still remember a lot of us moaning about Davide "sauntering" back to his position not so long ago... The two of them are pretty close tbh

Now you come to mention it aye!!!

Players do narf improve when they're missing for a while!!!

It'll come mind.

Santon would be mint under a decent manager, having him and Janmaat on each side would be a dream for most managers - so comfortable with the ball, although you do need good centre backs to shore it up and Colo has a habit of getting dragged out when Santon or Haidara plays.