Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Can he actually defend? I've seen plenty of him going forwards on youtube, not much on the defending front though.

We don't need to defend.

Well, from what i heard that game when he played man u for Inter he kept CRonaldo in his pocket. Also from some of the praise he had earlier in his career and from some of the articles on him i have read defending i don't recall was ever mentioned as a weakness, only that he had fell out of form after his injury.

Just going off what an Inter fan has been telling me for the last 2 days. He sounds like a Maldini - Bale hybrid.

which would be OK i guess.

sure i read somewhere that his loss of form was possibly throughtoo much expectation after his breakthrough and getting away from italy could be the best thing for him.

Just going off what an Inter fan has been telling me for the last 2 days. He sounds like a Maldini - Bale hybrid.

which would be OK i guess.

sure i read somewhere that his loss of form was possibly throughtoo much expectation after his breakthrough and getting away from italy could be the best thing for him.

Hope he doesn't read Ronaldo's post then....

Really looking forward to seeing this lad play. If the reports are true, his link up play will be invaluable to us, as he can fill the void we've had since Enrique left in the way that he used to play the ball out from the back. Which can only encourage "carpet football" as Sir Bobby used to call it. Even more so now we've got both Cabaye and Tiote in the middle of the park.

Really looking forward to seeing this lad play. If the reports are true, his link up play will be invaluable to us, as he can fill the void we've had since Enrique left in the way that he used to play the ball out from the back. Which can only encourage "carpet football" as Sir Bobby used to call it. Even more so now we've got both Cabaye and Tiote in the middle of the park.

I must admit I've never quite understood the Maldini comparisons (maybe it's the opposite footed fullback) because really his style isn't like that. If I was to compare him to a fullback I'd say he's more like Zanetti (kind of) because he's good at carrying the ball and does like to get up and down.

Provided he can build some sort of understanding with Jonas we should have a fruitful left side.

I must admit I've never quite understood the Maldini comparisons (maybe it's the opposite footed fullback) because really his style isn't like that. If I was to compare him to a fullback I'd say he's more like Zanetti (kind of) because he's good at carrying the ball and does like to get up and down.

Provided he can build some sort of understanding with Jonas we should have a fruitful left side.

summed it up perfectly tbh, dont see Maldini in him but its not totally a bad thing (though hey, id take Maldini)...but i reckon this lad could be the best fullback we've had premiership era, which is when football was invented so...

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc AP Press conf: "Davide Santon's problems are hopefully behind him and he's in the squad for Saturday"

:banana2:

Sums up my thoughts on that comment TBH  :D

Great news, like I've said, hopefully we'll see him in action at some point this weekend.

Just seen the highlights of the Swansea game on NUFCTV, one of the moves leading up to a decent chance had him cutting and dribbling manically.. was magic.

In the interview after Beardsley makes the point that he considers Santon TWO footed (no, shock horror a man with two feet) but none the less he pointed out that he's stronger on his right but can play well off his left too. So defensively he should be able to get out of a corner.. ;)

Just seen the highlights of the Swansea game on NUFCTV, one of the moves leading up to a decent chance had him cutting and dribbling manically.. was magic.

In the interview after Beardsley makes the point that he considers Santon TWO footed (no, shock horror a man with two feet) but none the less he pointed out that he's stronger on his right but can play well off his left too. So defensively he should be able to get out of a corner.. ;)

Beardo should know one when he sees one like. A very good example of a player who didn't have a weaker foot.

Hope he gets some game time, even if it's because we're cruising (wishful thinking) and he comes on for the last 10-15 minutes or so.  Got two games with Italy U21's before the Spurs match, he would then hopefully start that game.

Pardew saying in the Journal he "100% won't play, but he will travel and will be in the squad" hope he's got his words wrong again and just means he won't start  :hmm: