Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I've no doubt he'll be the right sided Gareth Bale in a couple of years

he has the attributes, santon is one of a few players we got that can actually dribble and go past players,

i dont see it in obertan, marveaux , raylor, .  jonas can do it sometimes when he's not busy playing as our auxiliary fullback. 

obertan has the pace to do it but has no balls.

He has no brains.

At least there is a plan B with this lad to convert him to a winger if he continues to struggle in the full back position.

Unless I'm very much mistaken full back is the plan b? Not for us obviously but he's essentially a winger who got moved to full back?

Wasn't afforded the same sort of protection/babysitting that Raylor got earlier in the season.  I thought Jonas was woeful, played narrow and didn't cover well at all. 

2 or 3 times Santon challenged for headers with Sagna, and Walcott was free to stroll in behind.  Surely Jonas should be challenging for the header instead or at least covering the run?  He did neither!

Don't get me wrong, Santon does love to get forward and his positioning at times is questionable to say the least.  But I don't get some of the criticism.

Still think he should get a go at right back at some point in the future.  Took Enrique and Colo a season to settle remember.  Santon is younger and has had a bit of a stop/start season. 

Shit loads of potential there and I think talking about moving him to the wing is a bit premature.  Think he would look more comfortable on the right hand side, although I might be wrong, it has been known.

only caught the second half of the game today but i took particular notice of leighton baines, in particular coverage when he went forward. no-one dropped into his position but there was always someone reading the game to get there if need be, covering his position without having to totally drop into it. we don't have anyone to read the game that way, cabaye did a bit early season, jonas can't and tiote only drops in for the centre halves.

I like Santon, but he not great at defending. Agree with most in the convert to winger option, but he needs to sort out his crossing if we do.

Why would we convert him to a winger?

have many players had the better of him ? i can only really remember bother coming down that side when he hasn't been there (ie caught up front and no coverage)

I know he's on his wrong side but I can't remember ever being impressed with him in the final third.

He carries the ball very well, but then so does Jonas, usually.

he's had 4 or 5 opportunities this season when he's cut in, inside the box, on his favoured foot, in on goal and either squared it or chipped into the middle when just putting his foot through it had a bloody good chance of scoring. he gets into goalscoring positions more than any full back i can remember in the prem era (us that is) and they are all through his own play.

That's kind of my point really. A natural winger would probably have more of a cutting edge. I see him as an attacking full back.

i just see him as a full back, they have to attack these days.

There was a particular moment in the second half today, after a corner, where he was on the right hand side, took it past the defender and stuck a great cross along the ground and into the box. I leapt out of my seat and shouted "That's why he should be playing at fucking right back!" :lol:

There was a particular moment in the second half today, after a corner, where he was on the right hand side, took it past the defender and stuck a great cross along the ground and into the box. I leapt out of my seat and shouted "That's why he should be playing at f***ing right back!" :lol:

so on the occasions when he's drifted in from the left, on his stronger foot into great shooting positions i should have shouted "thats why he should be playing at left back" ?

Has to be given a run at RB

It'll depend on the Simpson situation and whether or not we sign a new LB. That Journal article a couple of days ago seemed to suggest that we were looking to move Santon to RB with a new signing (supposedly Pieters) starting at LB.

He couldn`t make a tackle all yesterday was really poor again defensively, I don`t know whats happened to him. Saying that he would make a brilliant LW or RW.

Destined to play on the wing.

Guest bimpy474

Simpson the only player that hasn't been dropped since Pardew became manager.  Unbelievable.

Colo ?