Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

News bulletin on TS saying Roma are in for him but we want £15m... :lol:

If only the money can be re-invested, then I would definitely take the 15 million. Santon is not a good defender. His fault for Reading's first goal and big blame on him for the 2nd too.

If we sign Haidara I expect Santon to be out the door this window. Good footballer but ultimately wasted on the left, and with Debuchy now claiming the right back slot I think he'll be flogged.

Guest BrightonMag

Starting to question how good this lad is. Thought he could've done a lot better for the equaliser and seems to get caught out of position a lot. Doesn't really offer anything attack wise down the wing either.

Starting to question? Look through this thread - plenty of people saying you can't have a guy at left back that only uses his right foot. Yesterday's non-attempt to tackle for their equaliser was yet another example. It was a simple tackle, block or slide tackle with your left. What we got was a 12 inch jab token gesture with his right as the ball flew past. There are at least five occasions per game that you can spot.

This is not the root cause of our problems, but one of many issues which when put together gives us serious problems.

Starting to question how good this lad is. Thought he could've done a lot better for the equaliser and seems to get caught out of position a lot. Doesn't really offer anything attack wise down the wing either.

Starting to question? Look through this thread - plenty of people saying you can't have a guy at left back that only uses his right foot. Yesterday's non-attempt to tackle for their equaliser was yet another example. It was a simple tackle, block or slide tackle with your left. What we got was a 12 inch jab token gesture with his right as the ball flew past. There are at least five occasions per game that you can spot.

This is not the root cause of our problems, but one of many issues which when put together gives us serious problems.

Plenty if people think he has been our player of the season so far too though, mixed opinions on him on here.

he was fine when the defence was well drilled last season, he's probably just suffering and disillusioned like everyone else at the club

would not like to see him leave unless we get a daft bid

He was fine last season as Jonas was not as shit as he is this season, and I still think the only reason Pards picks Jonas is his lack of faith in Santon at LB.

he was fine when the defence was well drilled last season, he's probably just suffering and disillusioned like everyone else at the club

would not like to see him leave unless we get a daft bid

He was fine last season as Jonas was not as shit as he is this season, and I still think the only reason Pards picks Jonas is his lack of faith in Santon at LB.

He looked really good against Norwich because he had Jonas there protecting him. In fact whenever Jonas has played in front of him even this season he's looked really good.

Guest BrightonMag

Plenty if people think he has been our player of the season so far too though, mixed opinions on him on here.

Yeah, fair point. To be honest, I'm new to the forum and just assumed that in 240 pages a few people must have pointed out the elephant in the room ;-)

I think people see the fact that he's obviously quite a cultured player and his positivity in the final third and it makes it seem like he's had a good season. In my book, if you're playing left back, that's what you should be best at. Not really his fault - it's Pardew's. Pardew was quite happy to play Ryan Taylor there too. I don't get it - it's not like we haven't had a load of time to sign a left back. Long ago we could have switched Santon to RB, signed a LB and had a much more balanced defence without Simpson going awol at RB. I really don't get Pardew - I really thought he looked like he knew what he was doing last season, but I don't see lessons being learned at all. Despite not wanting to get rid of him, my resolve is really crumbling now.