Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Did someone say that he's better than Jose Enrique? Never been at his level. (Not saying he never will.)

No way will he ever be close to Jose defensively or offensively. On his day no winger could get past him.

:lol:

Do you watch football? Didn't watch todays game so I think my view is more balanced, but Santon going forward is much better than Jose Enrique. Santon is a liability defensively, but he's been that ever since he came to the club, but don't tell me Jose is a much better footballer because he clearly isn't.

I'd help him pack his bags to Milan.

Pathetic. Go support Di Canio man.

Going forward... maybe. Defensively.... miles behind.

For me a footballer is a technically better player. Defense? :lol: You don't need to be a footballer to be a decent defender. Look at Saylor.

As harsh as it sounds he's becoming a weak link and teams are picking up on it.

Not just the goal. He makes no effort to track back whatsoever - a moment shortly after his mistake when he was lost possession in their half, and he was out of the picture when they attacked, he wasn't even trying to defend.

I still love him and hopefully he'll learn, but if we can use him solely as an attacker in the future then so be it.

As harsh as it sounds he's becoming a weak link and teams are picking up on it.

Not just the goal. He makes no effort to track back whatsoever - a moment shortly after his mistake when he was lost possession in their half, and he was out of the picture when they attacked, he wasn't even trying to defend.

I still love him and hopefully he'll learn, but if we can use him solely as an attacker in the future then so be it.

Just looked knackered and confused. Improved a bit when he came on the pitch.

Not good enough defensively and won't ever be. If an Italian club comes in for him I'd move him on and give Haidara a chance.

back to one left back in the squad. Go on then.

If we sell him then it would obviously be in the summer and we can sign another one. Did you see him jogging back in the first half when he got caught in the opposition third and they had a break on? This was before the error.

Was at a critical time aswell, I felt they needed a goal around that time or they would start to run out of steam.

Mistakes happen and hopefully he'l respond, but his defending in the main has been poor this season. His age notwithstanding.

Did someone say that he's better than Jose Enrique? Never been at his level. (Not saying he never will.)

No way will he ever be close to Jose defensively or offensively. On his day no winger could get past him.

:lol:

Do you watch football? Didn't watch todays game so I think my view is more balanced, but Santon going forward is much better than Jose Enrique. Santon is a liability defensively, but he's been that ever since he came to the club, but don't tell me Jose is a much better footballer because he clearly isn't.

I'd help him pack his bags to Milan.

Pathetic. Go support Di Canio man.

Going forward... maybe. Defensively.... miles behind.

For me a footballer is a technically better player. Defense? :lol: You don't need to be a footballer to be a decent defender. Look at Saylor.

Couldn't careless what your criteria for a "footballer" is; he's a full-back and you would expect him to defend better.

Turned 22 in January.

This is the main thing for me. He'll improve and there's plenty of time for him. People wanting to sell him are daft as fuck when he clearly has a lot of ability.

He could do with some time out of the team, but there's no one who can come in atm. 

Might be alone, but I feel sorry for him. He looks so fucking burnt out, and has done for three/four months.

Looks a little disinterested when he's in our half. Hope we can claw our way to safety, and he can have a restful summer. Such a talent.

If Haidara gets back to fitness, I'd definitely play Santon further up. Hasn't got his head on straight enough atm to be in a back four. The backheel-on-the-post the other day and today are costly mistakes for us which we can't afford going forward until May. At least if he does something daft on the wing, there's still a back four behind him.

Turned 22 in January.

I'd be pissed off if one of my mates conceded a goal from an error like that in five a side, let alone a Europa League quarter final. Age notwithstanding.

Guest neesy111

If we want him to be a full back he'll need good coaching, he won't learn the art of defending by himself.

A performance that mirrors his season. His number of individual mistakes defensively is astounding.

Great finish by Lima on the goal though.

I'm certainly not going to forgive the error, but from Benfica's point of view it epitomised their performance. Their unrelenting pressure won them the game. If you were to point to any particular tactic that forced a victory, it was that. They pressed us high and they did it very quickly, and we couldn't cope with it; Lima's goal was using it to perfection.

Force an error > Exploit it. They did it superbly.

Very much so, they saw they were poor on the ball in defensive areas and in small sharp bursts pressured us into errors before retreating for a bit to save energy I'd imagine to then come and do it again. Hence why Krul was used so much unfortunately.

Might be alone, but I feel sorry for him. He looks so f***ing burnt out, and has done for three/four months.

Looks a little disinterested when he's in our half. Hope we can claw our way to safety, and he can have a restful summer. Such a talent.

If Haidara gets back to fitness, I'd definitely play Santon further up. Hasn't got his head on straight enough atm to be in a back four. The backheel-on-the-post the other day and today are costly mistakes for us which we can't afford going forward until May. At least if he does something daft on the wing, there's still a back four behind him.

I might feel like that in the morning, as of right now i'm filled with frustration because we were on the way to a 1-1 draw away in Benfica.

Turned 22 in January.

I'd be pissed off if one of my mates conceded a goal from an error like that in five a side, let alone a Europa League quarter final. Age notwithstanding.

Doesn't excuse an error like that, but it does make calls to sell him look rather short-sighted at best IMO. He's a young kid with a lot to learn. I hope he learns it at NUFC.

Turned 22 in January.

Doesn't excuse an error like that, but it does make calls to sell him look rather short-sighted at best IMO. He's a young kid with a lot to learn. I hope he learns it at NUFC.

FWIW I never said I wanted to sell him :thup: I think that view is a bit knee-jerk to say the least.

He needs a spell out of the team imo. Haidara should be given a chance when he's fit.

Probably worth taking out of the firing line for the time being. He's a young lad and he's clearly got ability but he's making costly mistakes and getting caught out too ofen.

Wouldn't be averse to starting him 40 yards up the park on the wing though which sounds daft. 

Probably worth taking out of the firing line for the time being. He's a young lad and he's clearly got ability but he's making costly mistakes and getting caught out too ofen.

Aye, went to pieces for a bit after his mistake too, which suggests his confidence is pretty well down.

Horrendous mistake from him aye but fuck off with the "sell him" posts - sheer idiocy to even suggest that.

Needless to say, the lad definitely needs to develop his defensive side a lot more and his mistake could have very well cost us a semi-final place but shit happens eh? Would still have him as my first choice LB.

Needs to learn from tonight and quickly.