Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

The mistake came from a potential attack didn't it? Wasn't as if there'd been loads of pressure and he was forced into a mistake. It was s*** decision making.

I'd only commented a few minutes earlier that we'd dropped back and were inviting them onto us.

That's irrelevant to that post you made here though. It's not as if a mistake was coming and was a result of us dropping back.

Mistakes happen all of the time in football so I don't see how a mistake wasn't coming.  Before we started to drop back the mistake would have been made further up the pitch and would have been less of a danger than it turned out to be.

That's irrelevant to that post you made here though. It's not as if a mistake was coming and was a result of us dropping back.

Mistakes happen all of the time in football so I don't see how a mistake wasn't coming.  Before we started to drop back the mistake would have been made further up the pitch and would have been less of a danger than it turned out to be.

The mistake came from a potential attack. We had men forward and were on the attack, then he did that.

The mistake came from a potential attack. We had men forward and were on the attack, then he did that.

I'll wait until I see it again as I thought he'd lost it well inside our half.

Miles inside their half tbh

Needs better coaching, bored of saying it but it's true

This line always trots out every now and again with this club but sometimes the player has to look at himself. I remember the same being said for Oba Martins when we had him, but he just didn't have it in him.

When was the last time a young player signed for us and genuinely improved? It happens very rarely.

He's a solid left back. No more no less. Doesn't provide anything going forward. Absolutely nothing at all and is in addition prone to the occasional howler. What's worst though is that he isn't showing any signs of progressing as a footballer. His left foot is still useless, cutting inside is still his only weapon and teams still keep focussin their attacking intent down our left wing.

We can do with better and I'm absolutely sure that Haidara has all the attributes to be a quality full back.

Talented footballer, but there isn't enough aggression in his game imo. I don't mean that he should turn into Tiote, but I have seen Cabaye, Debuchy, Coloccini leave their foot in and get involved in a battle at some point or other. Simpson wasn't averse to that in the past, and we've even seen some of that from Krul.

You never see that from Santon. I can recall him losing his composure a couple of times about 12 months ago and making a few wild challenges when the game was already gone, but apart from that he has rarely picked up a booking. Aside from that I think opposition wide players know that they won't end up in a battle with him.

Obviously I'm not saying he should get more yellow cards, but he doesn't assert himself on a game in my view, either defensively or offensively. There's a question mark over his mentality rather than his ability as far as I'm concerned.

He's a solid left back. No more no less. Doesn't provide anything going forward. Absolutely nothing at all and is in addition prone to the occasional howler. What's worst though is that he isn't showing any signs of progressing as a footballer. His left foot is still useless, cutting inside is still his only weapon and teams still keep focussin their attacking intent down our left wing.

We can do with better and I'm absolutely sure that Haidara has all the attributes to be a quality full back.

Haidara has potential but he isn't ready yet IMO. His defensive anticipation/positioning is a fair bit worse than Santon's at the moment - nearly lost us the match towards the end today by being 2 yards behind the defensive line and playing Rodriguez onside; Debuchy got him off the hook, but I've noticed similar in previous games as well... I think in time he'll be a better full-back than Santon, but he isn't there yet.

I was massively wrong about where it happened.

We'll have none of that here. Sort yourself out.